A sustained Flight movement question

My group started The Island of Dr Destroyer recently, 6E rules using Champions Complete as our primary source. I'm running it, but my usual GMing approach is rules-light (Tunnels & Trolls , for example) and much hand-waving, whereas I'm hoping to make better use of the Hero mechanics. One of my players who is, to say the least, considerably more technically minded than I asked a question about sustained Flight for his character and I'm hoping that more experienced brains can offer an answer or point me in the right direction. 

The character was designed using the Champions Character Creation Cards and his flight is part of a Multipower:

Not urgent, and I'm seeking knowledge rather than arguing for a
particular interpretation.

NewMind has (as part of a multipower, but that's not relevant) Flight:
20m, ×8 noncombat, 7 END to use.

He has SPD 4 and REC 12.

So if he goes all-out in flight he spends 28 END and recovers 12,
losing a net 16 per round, so his 70 END lasts roughly 4 rounds. During
each of those rounds he's flying 20m ×8 ×4, 120mph, so he's covered a
bit over a mile and a half. Fair enough.

OK, what if he wants to go further than a mile and a half? Presumably
if he turns off Flight for a phase he starts to plummet.

With a normal power you can use it at a lower intensity for less END.
Does that apply here? I'm guessing that's just the headline number
(speed in this case), not a total power redesign, but I need to know
how the power works to get the numbers right. So:

Flight 20m [20]
Position shift [+5]
×8 noncombat [normally ×2, +5 per doubling is +10]
total 35

Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4)
No Turn Mode (+1/4)
No Gravity Penalty (+1/2)
for a total of ×2

which matches the 70 active points listed for END 7. Good.

I need to get that down to END 3 to be sustainable, so maximum 30
active points; 15 before the multipliers; and Position Shift and
Noncombat take up that 15, leaving nothing for movement.

In "economy mode" I can run Flight at 5m, for 40 active points; that
gets me a 30mph airborne amble, with an END cost of 4 per phase so a
net loss of 4 per round. That flattens END after about… hmm, a mile
and three quarters.

(The multipower effect on all this means that I don't get to spend the
pool points on anything else even if I'm using it at lower intensity,
because it's a Fixed slot.)

So I think my question is: how much power redesign can one
legitimately do when using a power at a lower intensity? Is it, as I
have assumed, just the value of the primary effect that gets scaled
back, not any adders etc.?

Cheers,

R

Does that make sense? Thanks for any assistance. 

By the rules, you can turn an adder off, but not an Advantage.  So you could turn off the Position Shift because it's pointless for cross-country movement.  

Basically, I'd redesign the advantages you're applying.  IMO all 3 look better than they play out.  Of them, the one I'd drop first would be Combat Accel/Decel.  "A character may accelerate or decelerate at a rate equal to his full meters of Combat Movement per meter (instead of the standard 5m/meter)."  (Copied from HD's definition.)  OK, well, your combat move is 20;  you hit max speed in 4 meters.  This *sometimes* matters if you're planning a move-by or move-through attack, but otherwise?  You don't use it.  Drop that...slap in Reduced END (1/2 END) for the same +1/4, and you're good to go.  Note that with No Grav Penalty and No Turn Mod, with Position Shift OFF, you're down to 52 active in use, for END purposes...so Reduced END will knock that down to...2.

Another option might be to split the Flight into 2 slots.

20m, Position Shift, Combat Accel, No Turn Mode, No Grav Penalty, 1/2 END. 56 points

20m, x8 non-combat, No Grav Penalty, 1/2 END.  52 points

This might be cost-effective, if Flight is the most expensive component of the multipower.  Out of combat you're trading off the high-maneuverability aspects (no turn mode, extreme accel/decel, position shift) for sheer speed.  The No Grav Penalty is, for me, related to the style of flight so we keep that.  Altho again, it's something to potentially drop...I like it, but it's MUCH more expensive than I think it's really worth.  Note that if you're moving in combat, even if the advantages aren't really in play, you're still paying the END;  you get a break because you don't have to pay for the non-combat movement, but 20m and +1 advantage...that's still 4 per phase, and we haven't even mentioned attacking.  But I will admit that I prefer to use Reduced END judiciously and not pile on a massive END and REC.

Notable adders + notable advantages gets to be a problem on powers you need to sustain or use a lot.

Thank you for that. I passed it along to the player and he's happy that it gives him some options as well as confirming his thought that the pre-designed power from the cards is a good, quick place to start but not quite what he wants. After the first adventure wraps up he's going to do some work on it. 

As another alternative if the player is just looking for maximum sustained distance they can throw Gliding into the mix (6e1, 228). If they alternate one round of flight with one round of gliding (under the original END assumptions) they would be down 2 END per turn and travel 3/4 of combat speed (because gliding is half of combat speed). That means his or her Endurance would last 35 Turns. Note that he will need to be at least 2.5m above the ground to maintain speed and will do a slow sine wave up and down 2 meters every other phase.

If they have enough height they could also take an "in flight" recovery by simply falling for 3 segments and doing nothing else.

- E

But Gliding would require 2 slots;  it's a Limitation,  it can't be toggled.  That said...one combo I like is lots of Leap (with non-combat movement) plus gliding, if the GM allows you to switch from Leap to Glide in mid-leap.  (Remember that non-combat Leaping requires an extra phase, so you could in principle Leap, then on your next phase switch the slot to Gliding.)  Or, it's possible that you can keep both slots powered up;  they're both inexpensive.  And Gliding in 6E is Flight with a -1 Limitation, so the real cost will be much lower.  Flight, 20m, x8 non-com, gliding...15 points.  (No Red END needed, Gliding is 0 END by default.)  A parallel Leap might be 20m, x8 non-com, Accurate...still only 25, and combat leap is just 1 END.  You execute a non-combat Leap, then (if allowed, on your next phase) activate the gliding.  20m with x8 means 160m...so you're 80m above the ground when the glide starts, and moving 160m per phase, so each glide covers up to 12.8 km.  That won't cross a large body of water but it's plenty to span most lakes and, I think, all rivers except in their delta regions.  The Mississippi is only 7600 feet wide at its widest point in Louisiana.  And from a velocity perspective, assuming a 5 SPD, it's about 140 mph.  Not awesome, but not bad.

Oh, and aren't there rules that you can't just 'turn off' your movement like that, when you're moving at non-combat speeds?  So you can't just simply drop the movement power in midair to take the Recovery, any time you want.  

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Oh, and aren't there rules that you can't just 'turn off' your movement like that, when you're moving at non-combat speeds?  So you can't just simply drop the movement power in midair to take the Recovery, any time you want.  

I'm not sure if there are such rules or not in 5e or 6e.

But from a gaming perspective, sure you can turn off your Flight in midair. You immediately radically decelerate plus drop toward the ground in an uncontrolled tumble.

In HERO, if your flight speed was high enough and/or your defenses were low enough, I might rule that you're being buffeted too much to take a recovery.

If you haven't splatted on the ground by the time your next phase comes around, you can use your Flight to try to come out of your tumble and eventually get underway again.

There is such a rule in 6th edition.  It specifically states you cannot deactivate a movement power until you decelerate to 0m.  It also states switching to a different slot in a multipower is also prohibited.  It is under the section on accelerating and decelerating in the movement powers.

6 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

There is such a rule in 6th edition.  It specifically states you cannot deactivate a movement power until you decelerate to 0m.  It also states switching to a different slot in a multipower is also prohibited.  It is under the section on accelerating and decelerating in the movement powers.

That's borderline insane. 

But I guess it's their game and they can do what they want with it.

It's not insane;  it's really more a matter of KISS.  You advocated turning off your Flight, but this starts you tumbling.  This is just begging for arguments based on how the Flight's defined;  shutting off a jet pack/thrusters versus someone with wings versus act-of-will versus anti-grav related versus........  No thanks.  But, ok, so you start tumbling.  Cross country flying, I'm probably at least 300 meters AGL, and probably *more*.  Especially if I've bought significant flight speed...at SPD 6, 35 base points == 15" and x32 NC, let's say;  that's a decent combat move with fairly good NC velocity (a bit over 500 mph.)  It's just *safer* to have some altitude at that kind of speed.  So I've got plenty of time to recover.

Plus, how do I pull out of the tumble?  What's the roll, what are the modifiers?  

And realistically, how often would this come up, and how much of a pain is it to work around?  Given that it's trivial to work around and fairly cheap, adding this kind of complexity isn't sensible.

Final point:  this would be specific to Flight.  It wouldn't work with Running or Swimming;  you can't just "pause and glide" with those powers. 

52 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It's not insane;  it's really more a matter of KISS. 

I'm flying along with my Flight power and dive into the water hoping to use my Swimming power.

I have to come to a complete stop with my Flight, after I hit the water, before I can switch over to my Swimming. Or I have to come to a complete stop in mid-air then drop into the water.

That isn't simple or intuitive, IMO.

There are going to be fringe cases, but the starting point is that you don't have instantaneous acceleration/deceleration.  Normal combat acceleration is 5 meters per meter.  Normal noncombat acceleration is limited to your combat move per phase, so x32 NC takes, yes, 32 phases to reach full speed and 32 phases to stop from full speed.  This is a tradeoff for buying non-combat movement over combat movement.  

So here:  let's start with saying the flyer's scaled down to combat movement.  In the phase he's going to go into the water, he starts his decel before entering the water, nominally hitting 0 before/as entering the water, at which point the swimming kicks in.  If both Flight and Swimming are up...no problem.  Swimming kicks in.  I'd probably say that the character's used a half move with his Flight, and can make another half move with his Swimming.  If the Swimming can't be active...the player loses the rest of his phase and has 0 velocity in the water.  

If the character has non-cpmbat movement going and doesn't want to take the time to shed it first?  I'd probably be mean.  Depending on SFX:

--perhaps he just skips across the surface like a flat rock.  Most appropriate for low angle of entry, of course.

--more than likely, he'd enter the water but be completely out of control.  If this is a controlled entry...I'd lean to v/10 damage.  (So trying to do this at 300m per phase would be Really Bad.)  The deceleration here is RADICAL, and you are gonna feel it.

Why is having rules about how fast you can accelerate or decelerate insane?  There are advantages and limitation that can be applied to movement powers that can alter how those aspects work.  Why should someone who purchased a purchased a power in a framework be able to circumvent the rules, especially limitations?  Just because your power was bought in a framework does not mean it should be able to do something that someone who bought it out of the framework cannot.  If the special effect of your flight should be able to accelerate or decelerate better than normal you should purchase the relevant advantage.  

So if I have flight defined as a jet pack and I am going full velocity into the water I should not have to shut it off and slow my velocity to safely enter the water?   You can always take the ¼ advantage on your flight acts as a second movement to allow it to be used as swimming.  In that case you would not need to decelerate.   

I have said it once and will probably say it again.  A character should get what they pay for, but they should also pay for what they get.  

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It's not insane;  it's really more a matter of KISS.  You advocated turning off your Flight, but this starts you tumbling.  This is just begging for arguments based on how the Flight's defined;  shutting off a jet pack/thrusters versus someone with wings versus act-of-will versus anti-grav related versus........  No thanks.  But, ok, so you start tumbling.  Cross country flying, I'm probably at least 300 meters AGL, and probably *more*.  Especially if I've bought significant flight speed...at SPD 6, 35 base points == 15" and x32 NC, let's say;  that's a decent combat move with fairly good NC velocity (a bit over 500 mph.)  It's just *safer* to have some altitude at that kind of speed.  So I've got plenty of time to recover.

Plus, how do I pull out of the tumble?  What's the roll, what are the modifiers?  

And realistically, how often would this come up, and how much of a pain is it to work around?  Given that it's trivial to work around and fairly cheap, adding this kind of complexity isn't sensible.

Final point:  this would be specific to Flight.  It wouldn't work with Running or Swimming;  you can't just "pause and glide" with those powers. 

Vlad's completely correct, I believe.

And I know you weren't looking for solutions, BJB, and even this one will up your AP (Does Reduced END up the AP in 6e?):  "useable as another form of movement" on your Flight; make it also useable as some other movement.

Now up front:  What I am going to suggest depends _entirely_ on a bit of language that has been in every edition since the first, but I can't remember if it is in the sixth or not.  (forgive my not knowing; I read it way back when, decided I probably won't live long enough to find the time to read it again, and don't remember every word of the nine or so blue books.  I'd like to say "anymore," but what were the odds I remembered every word of them even when they were fresh in my mind?  :lol:   )

There is a bit of language saying something to the effect of "Power A with Advantages or Limitations is _not_ Power A "except for" or Power A "plus;" it is a whole new power, and is now Power B.  (I suspect that this is why Advantages and Limitations can't be toggled, but Adders can.)

If that language still exists in 6e, then your Flight: Useable as Gliding is now a whole new form of flight that can be used as gliding.

_however_, this does _not_ solve the recovery problem.  That is because this power is _also_ not "Gliding," but a Power that now has a slightly higher AP cost because of the new Advantage, and therefore a potentially _higher_ END cost.  _However_, many a generous GM has allowed a player to take a recovery while Gliding assuming he is not actively in combat and is not making any maneuvers.

It is not a perfect solution, but unless Reduced END does not apply to your AP, _and_ you _are_ an occasionally generous GM, it may provide the player with something that satisfies his goals for this power.

I only use the acel/decel rules and all those specific things in certain kinds of campaigns, because they add significant complexity and math that tends to slow things down in play.   And honestly, its almost never an issue in source material -- we're trying to simulate comics, here not make a physics simlulator.  So do what the comics do and that means 99% of the time its just not an issue. 

4 hours ago, BigJackBrass said:

Well, I've been passing some of the suggestions along to my player and honestly they're all helping us to get a better grasp of the rules and options. 

That’s great! However don’t be afraid to adjust or ignore the rules if they impede game/fun.

(That advice been around since 1st Ed but it’s been taking me these last 10plus years to really embrace it!). 

11 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Vlad's completely correct, I believe.

And I know you weren't looking for solutions, BJB, and even this one will up your AP (Does Reduced END up the AP in 6e?):  "useable as another form of movement" on your Flight; make it also useable as some other movement.

Now up front:  What I am going to suggest depends _entirely_ on a bit of language that has been in every edition since the first, but I can't remember if it is in the sixth or not.  (forgive my not knowing; I read it way back when, decided I probably won't live long enough to find the time to read it again, and don't remember every word of the nine or so blue books.  I'd like to say "anymore," but what were the odds I remembered every word of them even when they were fresh in my mind?  :lol:   )

There is a bit of language saying something to the effect of "Power A with Advantages or Limitations is _not_ Power A "except for" or Power A "plus;" it is a whole new power, and is now Power B.  (I suspect that this is why Advantages and Limitations can't be toggled, but Adders can.)

Let's see...

Reduced END still ups the AP in 6e - it is still an Advantage.

From 6ev1p316

A Power with a Power Advantage is a distinct power — it’s “new,” completely different from that Power without that Advantage.

However, Gliding is no longer a separate power.  It is, with GM permission, part of Flight.  There is also a -1 limitation for "only gliding".

I'd rather rule that Gliding is part of Flight by default, and for a -1/4 limitation, your Flight cannot Glide.  I dislike a limitation that provides benefits not included with the base power.  As Gliding costs 0 END, shifting from active flight to passive gliding (which is how birds, a source material example of flight, manage to travel aloft for extended distances) seems like a reasonable compromise.  As well, because Gliding is effectively "a second form of movement", and not a separate movement power, I would suggest that the character decelerates from maximum Flight to maximum Glide speed naturally after changing to Gliding, and must then re-accelerate when going back to active Flight.

So let's apply this:

Flight 20m [20]
Position shift [+5]
×8 noncombat [normally ×2, +5 per doubling is +10]
total 35

Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4)
No Turn Mode (+1/4)
No Gravity Penalty (+1/2)

Flight: 20m, ×8 noncombat, 7 END to use.

He has SPD 4 and REC 12 and 70 END.

So if he goes all-out in flight he spends 28 END and recovers 12, losing a net 16 per round, so his 70 END lasts roughly 4 rounds. During each of those rounds he's flying 20m ×8 ×4, 120mph, so he's covered a bit over a mile and a half. Fair enough.

So, he can fly for 3 turns, but Phase 4 of Turn 4, he only has 1 END remaining.  He probably does not want to burn STUN.  When he takes off, he can move to 20m, and accelerate a further 20m per phase until he hits 160 m at the end of Turn 2, so he's reached "cruising speed" before he runs out of END.  Phase 4, he stops accelerating at all and starts Gliding.  0 END, but his full move with Glide is his half move with Flight.  He's moving 160m, but he can only move 80m.  We could rule his velocity drops immediately.  I could live with that - he's no longer exerting effort so he drops from a "sprint" to a "trot".  Or we could apply normal acceleration, and rule that his speed declines by 20m per phase (the maximum from his Flight), so it takes a turn to get back down to 80m.  With a 12 REC, he's back to 13 END at the start of Turn 5, and 61 at the end of Turn 9.  Let's assume we're not min-maxing flight speed so he Glides through Turn 10, then Flies again, taking 1 turn to accelerate back up to 160 meters.

Sustained, we have a 10 turn cycle of: Turn 1: 100m; 120m; 140m; 160m = 520m.  Turns 2 and 3:  160m x 4 = 640 m.  Turn 4 160m x 3 + 140 m = 620m.  Turn 5 120m + 100m + 80mx2 = 380m.  Turns 6 - 10 80m x 4 = 320m.  That's 4,400 meters every 10 turns or 440 m/turn = 2.2 km per minute = 132 km per hour.  Divide by 1.609 and that's 82.04 miles per hour.

At full flight speed, he'd move 160m x 4 = 640 x 5 turns = 3.2 km/minute = 192 km/hour /1.609 = 119.32 mph

For interstate travel, I think average mph should be close enough - you don't need to know how many combat phases it takes to get from LA to New York, or New York to LA, with any more precision.  He could easily Fly up to 80m/phase velocity (3 phases; 21 END), then glide 3 phases using the fourth to fly and regain altitude, moving a consistent 80 meters a phase, 320m per turn, 1.6 km/minute, 96 km/hour, for a leisurely 60 (OK, 59.66) mph without any strain at all, spending 7 END per turn and recovering 12.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

However, Gliding is no longer a separate power.  It is, with GM permission, part of Flight.  There is also a -1 limitation for "only gliding".

Thanks, Hugh.

Like I said, I don't remember every word of 6e (there are so damned many of them!  :lol: ), and at 4 AM Thursday, I had my first heart attack, adding weight to my initial assessment that I will not live long enough to ever re-read the thing.   :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I'd rather rule that Gliding is part of Flight by default, and for a -1/4 limitation, your Flight cannot Glide.  I dislike a limitation that provides benefits not included with the base power.  As Gliding costs 0 END, shifting from active flight to passive gliding (which is how birds, a source material example of flight, manage to travel aloft for extended distances) seems like a reasonable compromise.  As well, because Gliding is effectively "a second form of movement", and not a separate movement power, I would suggest that the character decelerates from maximum Flight to maximum Glide speed naturally after changing to Gliding, and must then re-accelerate when going back to active Flight.

I agree with so much of this.    I really do.

Frankly, I'd rather rule that Flight and Gliding are two separate powers, period, both for precisely the reasons you state-- one is passive; the other is not-- and because the rules set that merges the two also has a rule for buying an Advantage to use one movement as another: the Advantage "Useable as another form of movement."   Apparently Flight now gives "second form or movement" for free (in at least one instance); all others pay points.

As a weird deja vu, this calls me back to when Desolidification was a movement power of sorts-- it was Tunnelling (sic) with some handy-dandy defensive perks.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks, Hugh.

Like I said, I don't remember every word of 6e (there are so damned many of them!  :lol: )

There were only so many places it could be - but I cannot remember the last time I looked at my hard copies instead of my .pdf (necessity, as I have them on a memory stick and I don't often post at home any more).  I was not sure it would be there until I found it.

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

and at 4 AM Thursday, I had my first heart attack, adding weight to my initial assessment that I will not live long enough to ever re-read the thing.   :rofl:

Nothing in those words is :rofl:for me!  Hoping for a full and speedy recovery from a mild attack!

Or a long, restful recuperation with no pain or discomfort, and plenty of time for reading, if you prefer.  Maybe that's worth a :rofl:.

7 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Frankly, I'd rather rule that Flight and Gliding are two separate powers, period, both for precisely the reasons you state-- one is passive; the other is not-- and because the rules set that merges the two also has a rule for buying an Advantage to use one movement as another: the Advantage "Useable as another form of movement."   Apparently Flight now gives "second form or movement" for free (in at least one instance); all others pay points.

That just gets us to whether these movement abilities are worth:

- 1 CP for +1 meter flight and +1/2 meter gliding (Flight, 6e RAW); or

- 0.8 CP for +1 meter flight and no gliding (my -1/4 "no gliding" example); or

- 0.5 CP for +1 meter Gliding (Flight, Gliding only 6e RAW); or

-  1 CP for +1 meter flight (historical cost); or

- 0.5 CP for +1 meter gliding (historical cost); or

- 1.25 CP for +1 meter Flight and +1 meter Gliding (Flight, usable as a second mode of movement).

hmmm...20m flight usable as gliding for 25 CP or

20 point MP Pool and 2 variable slots, 1 for 20m Flight (4 points) and one for 20 m Gliding (2 points) = 26 points, but for 2 points more I could have 40 m Gliding, and for another 8 I can have 40m Swimming and 20m Teleportation.  It's costing me 5 for each added mode using the advantage, and I get the slowest option.  Makes adding Megascale options a lot cheaper as well.

I think I like the idea that birds don't need an advantage on their flight or a Multipower, although I recall a lot of winged characters with Multipowers of Flight and Gliding back in the day.

Frankly, I'd rather rule that Flight and Gliding are two separate powers, period

I think that for powers like this, Instant Change, Transfer, Surpress, etc its worth having "talent" type writeups of simple structures to buy.  You'd have to use the deconstructed rules to make variants or apply modifiers but having just Gliding as 1 point per 2m with its own rules as a meta-power would make building much easier.

and at 4 AM Thursday, I had my first heart attack

As someone with a weak heart, I recommend you plenty of rest, changing of lifestyle, and looking carefully at what you eat.  Stick around, brother.  Take care of yourself if not for you then for family and friends.

Truthfully, I didnt poo up here originally do put a lot of thought into cost, beyond xonsidering some options to help Big Jack Brass and his player out, potentially.

As far as birds without multipliers, I seem to have taken an entirely different interpretation of multipower way back when we first started playing: one that suggested that l, akin to advantages and limitations, the framework itself created an entirely new power: some sort of multi-faceted ability which the wielder could use in multiple ways.  (For the record, this is why so many trick arrow and "same gun; different features" multipowers bug me.  They bug me to the point that we house-ruled "selectable" as an adder for Advantages)

That is also niether here nor there, but a multipower for Wings that includes Flight, Gliding, and Flash Defense-  to me-  is simply the wongs being used as Wings, and not one set of wings being turned off and another set of wings being turned on.

I know 4e and later kept pushing it further and further the other way, but I have never had any real probkems ignoring the He'll out of that.  While the majority of the board members argh math, I find semantics to be both equally important and largely ignored; I find there is a world of difference between a mutlipower and multiple powers.

In fact, the way that we eventually beat Elemental Control into a whole new thing that it once wasn't-  one singular power or source of power that was used many different ways; one power source such that all were affected equally by adjustment power- it didnt start out that way.  By the semantics of the rules, at least in the earliest editions, Multipower _did_ start out that way.

Mutlipower, though, proved more popular and- again, going semantically- easier to abuse by just tossing in whatever power you wanted, all while a minor diac I unt for having a theme was deemed intolerable and reworked over and over until it became essentially what multipower started as, but without the appreciable discounting-

crap.  I am not here to discuss that, either.  I was here to explain my humour:  it is not particulalry from, but it is _wide_.  No matter what the subject, the amusing bits leap to my mind before all others.  Fortunately, I live in the modern world, and all the beat-downs you recieve for being too-well-adjusted have trained me to resist the urge to enjoy every laugh publicly.   But still, the humor of being right about something because I accidentally and correclty  predicted a shorter-that-desirable lifespan for myself was too much to keep bottled up!   :rofl:  

Seriously, guys; admit it: if this had been a scenario in some cheeky action movie, you'd have guffawed obnoxiously, and you know it.  ;)

It doesnt become less funny just because I am  not the villain. ;)