A sustained Flight movement question

19 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

As far as birds without multipliers, I seem to have taken an entirely different interpretation of multipower way back when we first started playing: one that suggested that l, akin to advantages and limitations, the framework itself created an entirely new power: some sort of multi-faceted ability which the wielder could use in multiple ways.  (For the record, this is why so many trick arrow and "same gun; different features" multipowers bug me.  They bug me to the point that we house-ruled "selectable" as an adder for Advantages)

The very first MultiPower in the rules, 1e, was Starburst, who had to allocate scarce reserve points between Flight, Blast and Force Field.  There's no question the Ultra slot was named after Ultra Boy, who had to choose between Strength, Flight, Invulnerability and X-Ray Vision at any given time.  That one's not really attributable to "edition drift".

I can view a bird as the starting point for Flight pretty easily.  It's not the only way, or maybe the best way, but it seems like a reasonable approach.

26 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

The very first MultiPower in the rules, 1e, was Starburst, who had to allocate scarce reserve points between Flight, Blast and Force Field.  There's no question the Ultra slot was named after Ultra Boy, who had to choose between Strength, Flight, Invulnerability and X-Ray Vision at any given time.  That one's not really attributable to "edition drift"

Right.  Starburst had a given amount of- lets say "star power"- available to use.  He could use it multiple ways, but the entire design read as "everyrhing he can do on this list is because he can use this star power different ways, but it is all from this pool of x amount of star power."

I never saw a write-up for ultraboy beyond "here is an example of how ultra slots work," _ certainly,not one that included his SFX, etc, so I cant really speak to rightness or wrongness of his build other than "it is mechanically correct."   Still, as disjointed as his powers appeared to be, there is nothing that violates or denies the idea of "it all pulls from this common one power" akin to Starburst or a bird's wing.  

The edition drift I alluded to was that multipowers became obviously not "I have a single power that I can use in multiple ways"-  trick arrows, a variety of guns and gadgets (and dont get me wrong: these are valid concepts, and sticking them into power pools doesn't bother me at all- they actually make more sense to me that way since everything about a power pool since Day 1 (of power pools /gadget pools, mind you), the obvious descriptors have all pointed to (or outright stated) "any crazy I'm thing you want:"  it is a pool of points from which you construct any and as many powers or gadgets as you are able, to your heart's desire, providing all meet any restricrions on the pool and GM approval.

But-again, _to me_ - a bag of arrows isn't a single power used in many different ways anymore than a golf bag is a single club used for many different purposes (unless youre that guy that wrapped them,around trees in famous displays of bad sportsmanship; I might let you do an ultra slot for an Entangle.  ;) ).

I have that similar issue for a multipower full of foci, etc.

Mechanically?  Correct.   Semantically?  It eventually _became_ correct.

And Elemental Control went through serious edition drift, as I did manage to describe a bit better up above.

5 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

For interstate travel, I think average mph should be close enough - you don't need to know how many combat phases it takes to get from LA to New York, or New York to LA, with any more precision.  He could easily Fly up to 80m/phase velocity (3 phases; 21 END), then glide 3 phases using the fourth to fly and regain altitude, moving a consistent 80 meters a phase, 320m per turn, 1.6 km/minute, 96 km/hour, for a leisurely 60 (OK, 59.66) mph without any strain at all, spending 7 END per turn and recovering 12.

This is giving Flight some quite significant advantages over Running, because there's no plausible way to do something similar to Running.  If Flight is going to get this much of an edge, the costing probably should be higher.  At lower power levels, the fact that you get a 12 point price break on Running is big, but as you move up the power scale, that becomes much less meaningful.  

Some of the problems here are:

--the power OP posted has QUITE a bit of baggage...Position Shift, No Grav Penalty, Combat Accel.  How much of this baggage really belongs, versus should just be ignored and considered part of the power for no cost?  At least for the superhero genre.

--Combat and noncombat are significantly different issues.  Range, movement, and endurance are significant elements of combat, so movement power details *matter*.  Noncombat is far more narrative.  This extends beyond the movement powers.  A power (or skill) that has little encounter value (where an encounter is defined as any interaction where failure has a consequence to the characters) shouldn't have to cost points, or should be pretty cheap...because they're only used when it doesn't matter to the campaign.

Now, ok...a big problem here is, as written, the rules mostly have very good decidability in play.  Trying to separate combat and non-combat notions would make a mess of that, and tend to make the rules even MORE complex.  That'd be true even if an extensive reconsideration and streamlining effort was undertaken.  And the #1 complaint about the system is that it's already MUCH too complicated...in large part because the goal is to be able to define almost any power or power set.  

The system DOES let us define a very broad range of characters reasonably...until we get into the unreasonable, like Rogue's power stealing...fairly well.  And trying to have the system work the way any particular group desires, can't happen;  each group will have different goals and areas of interest.  As we say from the get-go...it's YOUR game.  Don't consider ANY rule sacred.  How about:

--some advantages CAN be turned off.

--"purchase 2x for +5 points" isn't an adder.  It doesn't cost END, the cost isn't impacted by advantages or limitations.  It's an adjustment to the real cost.  Fine:  can some adders be treated as such?  I'm particularly thinking movement NC multipliers;  Clairvoyance also has some related elements.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:25 AM, BigJackBrass said:

Flight 20m [20]
Position shift [+5]
×8 noncombat [normally ×2, +5 per doubling is +10]
total 35

Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4)
No Turn Mode (+1/4)
No Gravity Penalty (+1/2)
for a total of ×2

which matches the 70 active points listed for END 7. Good.

I need to get that down to END 3 to be sustainable, so maximum 30
active points; 15 before the multipliers; and Position Shift and
Noncombat take up that 15, leaving nothing for movement.

I haven't seen anyone mention this (my apologies if I missed it), but the key here is not to change the Power... it's to change the character's SPD.

As CC page 137 notes, "In non-combat situations, everyone is assumed to act at SPD 2 at all times, unless the circumstances require them to use their full SPDs." (You can also voluntarily lower your SPD to 2 if desired.) When simply flying long-distance, you're normally going to be acting at SPD 2, not SPD 4.  So the END cost doesn't need to get down to 3 to be sustainable... it only needs to get down to 6.

Just let off the gas a bit, fly with a base of 15m instead of 20m, and you're there:

Flight 15m [15]

Position Shift and 8x NCM (+15 CP]

Combat Acc/Dec, NTM, and NGP (+1 Adv.)

= 60 Active Points = 6 END

You can fly at this speed indefinitely (about 45 MPH)...

6 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I never saw a write-up for ultraboy beyond "here is an example of how ultra slots work," _ certainly,not one that included his SFX, etc, so I cant really speak to rightness or wrongness of his build other than "it is mechanically correct."   Still, as disjointed as his powers appeared to be, there is nothing that violates or denies the idea of "it all pulls from this common one power" akin to Starburst or a bird's wing. 

He's source material from the Legion of Super-Heroes.  A modern GM would laugh a character named Jo Nah who got his powers from being swallowed by a radioactive space-whale out of the game, but as one of the few Legionnaires who was not "an alien from a planet where everyone has similar powers", he was pretty good for the series at the time.

1 hour ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

I haven't seen anyone mention this (my apologies if I missed it), but the key here is not to change the Power... it's to change the character's SPD.

As CC page 137 notes, "In non-combat situations, everyone is assumed to act at SPD 2 at all times, unless the circumstances require them to use their full SPDs." (You can also voluntarily lower your SPD to 2 if desired.) When simply flying long-distance, you're normally going to be acting at SPD 2, not SPD 4.  So the END cost doesn't need to get down to 3 to be sustainable... it only needs to get down to 6.

Just let off the gas a bit, fly with a base of 15m instead of 20m, and you're there:

Flight 15m [15]

Position Shift and 8x NCM (+15 CP]

Combat Acc/Dec, NTM, and NGP (+1 Adv.)

= 60 Active Points = 6 END

You can fly at this speed indefinitely (about 45 MPH)...

I ignore that one as it is rarely used in practice, but it is a great fix for Super-Running Speeds outside of combat for that 6 SPD Trained Normal.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

This is giving Flight some quite significant advantages over Running, because there's no plausible way to do something similar to Running.  If Flight is going to get this much of an edge, the costing probably should be higher.  At lower power levels, the fact that you get a 12 point price break on Running is big, but as you move up the power scale, that becomes much less meaningful. 

I find lack of a turn mode a pretty powerful benefit of Running at very high speeds.  Noncombat's not that big a deal in most games.  "OK, since Bird-Lad can fly at a sustained speed of 60 mph, he gets to LA from New York several hours before Marathon Maid, who has to slow down more to conserve END.  Of course, they both took hours to arrive, so the villains have long since finished looting the bank, but let it be noted that Bird-Lad arrived sooner."  How many points is that actually worth? 

46 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I find lack of a turn mode a pretty powerful benefit of Running at very high speeds.  Noncombat's not that big a deal in most games.  "OK, since Bird-Lad can fly at a sustained speed of 60 mph, he gets to LA from New York several hours before Marathon Maid, who has to slow down more to conserve END.  Of course, they both took hours to arrive, so the villains have long since finished looting the bank, but let it be noted that Bird-Lad arrived sooner."  How many points is that actually worth? 

Noncombat defines the response range, if it's actually being respected.  In your example, yeah, how long do you have before the thieves (especially super thieves) are gone?  High-speed transport's almost implicit...OR, in some cases, hand-waved.  (I'm thinking Batman, mostly.  Spidey would be kinda similar but Spidey's not called upon as much as he comes across a situation.)  

In either case:  you have a similar question.  Why spend points when those points are in service to the plot, not the character?  OR, if you prefer...honestly, 60 mph is nothing for me.  If that's a character's limit, look for workarounds...like the team buying a vehicle.  Yeah, I've got no problem with defining some cost, but non-combat velocity can and probably *should* be made a WHOLE lot cheaper.

BTW, there IS a way to have "advantages I can turn on and off."  Naked Advantage is itself a separate power.  The issue is, Naked Advantage is a Special Power, so RAW says it can't be placed into any kind of framework.  And as a power it can have advantages and limitations on its own.  So

Flight 20m, Position Shift, x8 NC, 1/2 END:  44 points, 1 END.  
Naked Advantage:  Combat Accel, applied to 35 points of Flight (you don't have to count the cost of Reduced END, it's not part of the base cost):  9 points.  

Naked Advantage:  No Gravity Penalty, applied to 35 points of Flight.  17 points.  2 END. 

Note that in most cases, you'll only activate either one for a very short period.  The downside is, the naked advantages can't be used in the MP...but again, this may not be as great a problem as it might appear, if the size of the MP can be reduced.  

3 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

I kinda thought that was one of the main reasons for Megascale.

But with Flight or Running, Megascale is excessive.  If your combat movement is 20, and let's say with a 5 SPD...by no means out of line in a 12 DC campaign...then with Megascale you're doing 100 km per turn, 500 km per minute.  LA to San Francisco i(airport to airport) is 540...so going LA to the Bay Area in a minute?  That's the province of VERY few comic characters.  OK, well, maybe defining a movement multipower works mechanically...but it's an artificial, contrived solution, IMO.  Using 2 MP slots for different Blasts, one of which is fire-based and the other force-based and vs PD, but otherwise they're identical, is probably best defined with 2 MP slots rather than some advantage.  There are numerous ripple effects to that approach.  But it shouldn't be necessary for a movement power to capture both combat and non-combat moves.  Not that I don't use it, but it shows that the system is flawed.

One of the flaws is purely in the scaling.  There's nothing between NC adders and massively supersonic?  That's a fairly major gap.  To me, mobility-oriented supers should typically range between race car (call it 200 mph) and commercial/civilian jets (call it 600).  You can get there;  5 SPD, 20 base move, x32 NC --> 600 mph.  But it's 40 points and 4 END per phase, so that'd be a LOT of recovery.  And, the cost for any advantages (you'll probably need 1/2 END) is 40.  NC adders get REAL expensive REAL fast,

It also, IMO, shows the structural problem with NC multipliers as fairly expensive adders, when you consider slapping on advantages, versus multiple expensive advantages.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

BTW, there IS a way to have "advantages I can turn on and off."  Naked Advantage is itself a separate power.  The issue is, Naked Advantage is a Special Power, so RAW says it can't be placed into any kind of framework.  And as a power it can have advantages and limitations on its own.  So

Flight 20m, Position Shift, x8 NC, 1/2 END:  44 points, 1 END.  
Naked Advantage:  Combat Accel, applied to 35 points of Flight (you don't have to count the cost of Reduced END, it's not part of the base cost):  9 points.  

Naked Advantage:  No Gravity Penalty, applied to 35 points of Flight.  17 points.  2 END. 

Note that in most cases, you'll only activate either one for a very short period.  The downside is, the naked advantages can't be used in the MP...but again, this may not be as great a problem as it might appear, if the size of the MP can be reduced.  

Of course, if you already have a MP (as with the original example in the thread), then you can also just buy additional MP slots, some of which have more base movement but no Adders or Advantages, some of which have some Adders but not others, some of which have various Advantages, etc. as needed. Which slot you use is just a matter of what you're trying to accomplish at the time.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

But with Flight or Running, Megascale is excessive.  If your combat movement is 20, and let's say with a 5 SPD...by no means out of line in a 12 DC campaign...then with Megascale you're doing 100 km per turn, 500 km per minute.  LA to San Francisco i(airport to airport) is 540...so going LA to the Bay Area in a minute?  That's the province of VERY few comic characters.  OK, well, maybe defining a movement multipower works mechanically...but it's an artificial, contrived solution, IMO.  Using 2 MP slots for different Blasts, one of which is fire-based and the other force-based and vs PD, but otherwise they're identical, is probably best defined with 2 MP slots rather than some advantage.  There are numerous ripple effects to that approach.  But it shouldn't be necessary for a movement power to capture both combat and non-combat moves.  Not that I don't use it, but it shows that the system is flawed.

One of the flaws is purely in the scaling.  There's nothing between NC adders and massively supersonic?  That's a fairly major gap.  To me, mobility-oriented supers should typically range between race car (call it 200 mph) and commercial/civilian jets (call it 600).  You can get there;  5 SPD, 20 base move, x32 NC --> 600 mph.  But it's 40 points and 4 END per phase, so that'd be a LOT of recovery.  And, the cost for any advantages (you'll probably need 1/2 END) is 40.  NC adders get REAL expensive REAL fast,

It also, IMO, shows the structural problem with NC multipliers as fairly expensive adders, when you consider slapping on advantages, versus multiple expensive advantages.

Megascale isn't perfect but it was a good addition to the rules. It should be defined as three separate Modifiers, Range, Area and Movement with different rules for each. And the first step should be 10x and go from there. That 1000x first step is just too much for the Movement of 99% of the source material, the Range requires an enhanced senses investment and LOS  to really use and the Area makes everything into a WMD. Yes, you can scale it down but that option was just as easy to add at any starting point.  

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Probably would require a great deal of hand waving from the GM but sure, that seems fair.

I might be missing something with the great deal of hand waving part.

To me if you spend +1/4 on Flight just to define having Gliding (even though Gliding is part of Flight) I’m good with the less paperwork it causes.

I agree with that.  I'd prefer in some ways that the costs are different for the continuous movement powers (primarily running and flight) as for the discrete powers (leap and teleport) but...ehh, that's probably less important.  

With MegaRange, not only do you need a major senses investment...you probably have to buy No Range Mods, which will still be a fairly sizable investment.  Normal max ranges already run seriously afoul of range mods well before you hit max ranges.  You're at -8 at 100 meters;  even my fancy, moderately abusive Your Nightmare Made Real (3d6 NND vs Mental Def, Damage over Time, per segment for 6 segments, Lockout) has a range of 150 meters (which is -10).  The overwhelming majority of the time, on Blast, Flash, and RKA, there's little reason NOT to take Limited Range and shave off points...even on an MP, if the MP can be 'restricted' to only such powers. (I don't typically find that to be a big problem.)  OR, conversely, you're using some other methods, like terminal targeting.  Cuz a fair number of real-world weapons have MegaRange.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But with Flight or Running, Megascale is excessive. 

As with any other advantage, the cost is UP TO the maximum.  Lucky Shamrock can have all of his powers with 7 charges for the same limitation value as 8 charges, and Megascale can be defined as capping at x10 for +1/4, so you can customize the build you are looking for.  For the original power,

Flight 20m [20]
Position shift [+5]
×8 noncombat [normally ×2, +5 per doubling is +10]
total 35

No Turn Mode (+1/4)
for a total of ×2

Modifying that to

Flight 20m [20]
Position shift [+5]

total 25

No Turn Mode (+1/4)

Megascale (+1)
for a total of ×3

would cost 75, so not quite within that 70 point limit.

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

With MegaRange, not only do you need a major senses investment...you probably have to buy No Range Mods, which will still be a fairly sizable investment.  Normal max ranges already run seriously afoul of range mods well before you hit max ranges.  You're at -8 at 100 meters;  even my fancy, moderately abusive Your Nightmare Made Real (3d6 NND vs Mental Def, Damage over Time, per segment for 6 segments, Lockout) has a range of 150 meters (which is -10). 

ummm...no

From 6ev1p340 (my emphasis):

MegaRange Powers suffer the standard Range Modifier (unless the character purchases No Range Modifier).  However, MegaScaling affects the Range Modifier as well. For example, a Mega-Ranged Blast (1m = 1 km) suffers Range Modifiers beginning at 9 kilometers, not 9m as with a normal Blast.

So you're at -8 at 100 km.

I might be missing something with the great deal of hand waving part.

Well the hand waving comes in when you describe gliding as a "different form of movement" which is wringing the definition pretty vigorously. 

Perhaps the best way to approach this would be to make gliding a natural part of any flying, then give limitations to flight purchased as only gliding or unable to glide.  That way anyone who flies can switch on gliding at any time, accepting its drawbacks and advantages (lower END cost?). Kind of like a combat maneuver, but with movement instead.  Who knows, maybe we could come up with several kinds of movement maneuvers (better turning radius, acceleration, etc).

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well the hand waving comes in when you describe gliding as a "different form of movement" which is wringing the definition pretty vigorously. 

I’m surprised by this actually. Consider that Gliding was a separate Power for 4 editions. And I think though using UAM would be more in line with Old School thinking 🤔

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Perhaps the best way to approach this would be to make gliding a natural part of any flying, then give limitations to flight purchased as only gliding or unable to glide.  That way anyone who flies can switch on gliding at any time, accepting its drawbacks and advantages (lower END cost?). Kind of like a combat maneuver, but with movement instead.  Who knows, maybe we could come up with several kinds of movement maneuvers (better turning radius, acceleration, etc).

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, this is already how Flight works.  For example, from CC page 69:

"Any character with Flight can also Glide as follows..."

And the Gliding Limitation says: "Allows a character to Glide at their full Combat Movement meters of Flight instead of only half, but restricts the power’s use to Gliding only."

19 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

Of course, if you already have a MP (as with the original example in the thread), then you can also just buy additional MP slots, some of which have more base movement but no Adders or Advantages, some of which have some Adders but not others, some of which have various Advantages, etc. as needed. Which slot you use is just a matter of what you're trying to accomplish at the time.

I agree, that's the answer dictated by the system.  It has the major advantage of keeping things much simpler too;  if the desire is to have some advantages be applied as desired rather than all the time...which advantages?  Or should it be to all advantages...is that a problem?  That'd take some consideration.  Note that I'm not advocating that you can reallocate points;  I'm saying that if you have an 8d6 AP, then you can execute it as an 8d6 attack that isn't AP.  

But the system doesn't support that, and I'm okay with it;  it would make a complex system that much more complex.  If you're talking a high-ish power environment...lots of comic characters effectively have pretty extensive power tricks.  So stuff like this, or tweaking a power's SFX within limits...can be quite appropriate, especially with a Power skill.  But that level of flexibility is typically not present save for a few genres, so making it the system default is a bad idea.  I tend to think higher-power supers, where it tends to be appropriate. :)

On 3/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, unclevlad said:

There are going to be fringe cases, but the starting point is that you don't have instantaneous acceleration/deceleration.  Normal combat acceleration is 5 meters per meter.  Normal noncombat acceleration is limited to your combat move per phase, so x32 NC takes, yes, 32 phases to reach full speed and 32 phases to stop from full speed.  This is a tradeoff for buying non-combat movement over combat movement.  

So here:  let's start with saying the flyer's scaled down to combat movement.  In the phase he's going to go into the water, he starts his decel before entering the water, nominally hitting 0 before/as entering the water, at which point the swimming kicks in.  If both Flight and Swimming are up...no problem.  Swimming kicks in.  I'd probably say that the character's used a half move with his Flight, and can make another half move with his Swimming.  If the Swimming can't be active...the player loses the rest of his phase and has 0 velocity in the water.  

If the character has non-cpmbat movement going and doesn't want to take the time to shed it first?  I'd probably be mean.  Depending on SFX:

--perhaps he just skips across the surface like a flat rock.  Most appropriate for low angle of entry, of course.

--more than likely, he'd enter the water but be completely out of control.  If this is a controlled entry...I'd lean to v/10 damage.  (So trying to do this at 300m per phase would be Really Bad.)  The deceleration here is RADICAL, and you are gonna feel it.

I think we have to separate reality from comic books here. Reality says the deceleration is gonna be something you notice; comic books say 'who cares? if it looks/sounds good, use it'.

14 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I’m surprised by this actually. Consider that Gliding was a separate Power for 4 editions. And I think though using UAM would be more in line with Old School thinking 🤔

14 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, this is already how Flight works.  For example, from CC page 69:

"Any character with Flight can also Glide as follows..."

And the Gliding Limitation says: "Allows a character to Glide at their full Combat Movement meters of Flight instead of only half, but restricts the power’s use to Gliding only."

I dislike "gliding only" equating to "gliding faster".  CC appears to remove the GM discretion present in 6e, which I support.  I'd prefer that the system remove the doubled Gide speed (likely meaning  a larger limitation for "only to glide") and provide a limitation for "cannot glide" (probably -1/4).

2 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I dislike "gliding only" equating to "gliding faster".  CC appears to remove the GM discretion present in 6e, which I support.  I'd prefer that the system remove the doubled Gide speed (likely meaning  a larger limitation for "only to glide") and provide a limitation for "cannot glide" (probably -1/4).

I agree, honestly.  Just keep the rule that Gliding move = ½ Flight move across the board. Then, if you want to make a character who can Glide faster than that, they can buy some extra Flight "only to glide."  To me, that feels more in keeping with the core concept of You Get What You Pay For.

EDIT: In fairness, though, I will say that I'm sure the way it currently works is just due to the fact that two Powers were being folded into one, and doing it this way kept their costs and functions (mostly) unchanged.