• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lemmie just adjust the rabbit ears on the TV...

And while I'm thinking about it,     Tank Man

Did you get this information from your Smart Phone? 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, aylwin13 said:

"Fill 'er up. And please clean the windshield while you're at it."

46 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Hah, you won't catch me with that one -- no-one is that old!

Does Oregon still require that service station attendants put the gas in the car?  I know they did at least as late as about six-seven years ago.  It was a rule intended to cut down on gasoline spillage at service stations, IIRC.

3 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

Just a sec, I'll adjust the horizontal hold.

Good luck.  We control the horizontal.  We control the vertical.

1 hour ago, L. Marcus said:

I wish that was true.  Full service stations were fairly common up until the '73 gas crisis tho, actually.  I knew about Oregon...but New Jersey has a similar law too.

And on Oregon...

https://www.oregon.gov/osp/programs/sfm/Pages/Self-Service-Rules-Change-FAQs.aspx

and the map that shows where it's prohibited still...which includes Portland, Eugene, and Salem, the 3 largest cities

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=fe6b92d4da52481483898a871928588c

In Eastern Oregon, apparently, attendants aren't required at night because in those rural areas, finding attendants is a lot harder for those hours.  

Good reason to have an EV if you live in Portland, eh?

23 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Ronald McDonald and the cast of McDonaldland, especially Mayor McCheese and Officer Big Mac. There's also Mac Tonight, but I always thought he was creepy.

I saw several McDonaldland characters as Funco POPs while shopping at Target yesterday in the collectibles section.

It included this: https://www.target.com/p/funko-pop-ad-icons-mcdonalds-scuba-mcnugget-target-exclusive/-/A-80171274

27 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

I saw several McDonaldland characters as Funco POPs while shopping at Target yesterday in the collectibles section.

It included this: https://www.target.com/p/funko-pop-ad-icons-mcdonalds-scuba-mcnugget-target-exclusive/-/A-80171274

Nostalgia never goes out of style.
They're probably targeting grandparents to give to their grandkids...

2 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

In my youth I had that job, now that I’m old and disabled I know every gas station in the area that still does full service.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Has anyone mentioned Cabbage Patch Kids, Mr. Potato Head, or Raggedy Ann yet?

They tried a Mr. Potato Head revival not *too* long ago, IIRC.  Cabbage Patch Kids is still selling;  so are Barbie and Ken.  CPK and Beanie Babies...both were so incredibly BLAZING hot for a while, and both had artificial collectibility, so if they're just ordinary toys...we don't really think about em.  And, hey, most of us are at least physically into adulthood, so unless you're watching cartoons with your kids, grand-kids, or great-great-great grandkids (in Old Man's case) we probably don't get exposed to any marketing....

22 hours ago, Old Man said:

Hats as formal attire. 

Heck, men used to wear a suit and hat to baseball games.

When my grandfather passed, I'd wanted his collection of hats. But I didn't speak up loudly enough for it to stick in anyone's minds so they were all trashed along with most of his belongings. My grandmother couldn't deal with his loss so she told my brother and a cousin to get rid of all of it. And I'd talked to neither one of them about it and they either didn't ask anyone or my dad remembered and couldn't be bothered to open his mouth and utter the words (which would be typical of my dad).

They also trashed my homemade crossbow because it was still in my grandfather's tool shed from the time I'd briefly lived with them in college and they assumed it was his.

I also wanted my grandfather's violin and knew it was going to be given to my dad since he was the oldest and it'd been discussed. And I'd mentioned to my dad several times that I was looking forward to having it someday. Mostly because of the memories but also my youngest kid had learned to play.

Then after my grandfather's death, my dad out of the blue decided to give the violin to his brother because he's a musician (who doesn't play the violin).

My grandfather had purchased the violin 2nd or 3rd or 4th or more-hand back in the late 1920's or early 30's so it was already very old when he first laid his hands on it. He owned it for more than seventy years.

I love my uncle to death but no one from the family even gets invited to step foot in his house, much less gets access to anything to even look at or take a picture of. 

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

Fifty cent pieces and Eisenhower dollars.

Pennies that were made from copper rather than zinc.

Let’s just say cash. Most of the upcoming generation probably won’t know what cash is, everything will be electronic.