The Old Folks Home

Starlord

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Remembering that the first Space Shuttle never went to space and was named Enterprise.

Playing games on my Merlin, the Electronic Wizard. Talk about a fancy UI.

My sister want this game so badly...and it died on her the 1st day she got it.

5 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

HP still sells the 12C, which was originally released in 1981. 

I took a business finance class as an undergraduate, where the professor asked us all to buy one of those (or the equivalent). I had no intention of doing so because a) I was a broke college student, 2) I was also taking Calculus III at the time, for which that calculator would have helped me not at all, and γ) I had a perfectly good >$100 TI-83+ calculator that I already knew how to use. So I talked to the professor after class to see if he could provide a formula sheet for the necessary calculations so that I could do them with the calculator I already had. He looked at me like I'd asked him for a deep-fried jellyfish with wasabi on the side; the subsequent conversation revealed his utter disbelief that the required calculations could be performed by a mere undergrad (and non-Business major, no less!) without the use of the said calculator.

I thanked him for his time and went to the library, where I promptly downloaded and printed up a formula sheet to allow me to do all the necessary calculations. I earned an A in the class and was one of the few students who didn't struggle with the math.

I still have and use an HP-11C.  I also have an HP-33s, which I got when I lost the 11-C for a while ... it was under my car's front seat, and I found it most of a year later.  So I have both, and one lives at my main desk, the other goes in my travel kit.

I got the 11C after my first HP, a 29C, failed early in my grad school years after a fairly short career.  I was balancing my checkbook with it (heh ... remember balancing your checkbook?) and was getting bizarre results, and figured it was the calculator when I was visually inspecting every step as I pounded out numbers, and saw that adding 70 + 115 gave me 71.5.  Over and over.  It's like the hundreds digit was getting dropped.  I did a lot more experiments with it and the same sort of thing persisted.  But the 11C has lasted more than 30 years since then, so it may outlive me.  If it looks like it will, I'll ask for it as grave goods.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A few years ago I was working at a basketball camp with the high school basketball coach and we had young kids (4th graders, 5th graders etc).  

Coach was explaining shooting form to the kids and he said for them to picture like they were "in a phone booth".

I interrupted him and I asked the kids, "Who knows what a phone booth is?"  No one raised their hands.  

We changed it to an elevator shaft.