The Old Folks Home

Starlord

22 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I get where you’re coming from, but before we get too high & mighty, how many of us know anything about....
Flo Zeigfield

Jack Parr

or

Edward R. Murrow?

Ziegfeld was decades before my time.  I barely remember Paar, and I know Murrow only by name (but I worked at the school where the journalism school named for him is located).

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Ziegfeld was decades before my time.  I barely remember Paar, and I know Murrow only by name (but I worked at the school where the journalism school named for him is located).

That’s what I’m saying, it’s fun to bash the ones who’re too young to remember stuff that was important to us, but let’s keep some perspective. 
    Ziegfeld, Parr and Murrow were the Sullivan, Carson and Cronkite of their eras.   In fact Jack Parr was the host of the hugely popular Tonight Show who retired and turned it over to that youngster Johnny Carson.  
    I’m starting to feel like one of those “If you want to know more about these figures, check them out at your local library,”  things ant the end of a family TV show.

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

That’s what I’m saying, it’s fun to bash the ones who’re too young to remember stuff that was important to us, but let’s keep some perspective. 
    Ziegfeld, Parr and Murrow were the Sullivan, Carson and Cronkite of their eras.   In fact Jack Parr was the host of the hugely popular Tonight Show who retired and turned it over to that youngster Johnny Carson.  
    I’m starting to feel like one of those “If you want to know more about these figures, check them out at your local library,”  things ant the end of a family TV show.

The point of the thread, tho, is more like, what did we experience Back In The Day, that's long gone.  Ziegfeld *died* in 1932. And pop culture references are almost implicitly memory mayflies.  The White Album.  Woodstock.  The 1967 Monterey Pop festival.  I daresay just dropping these would result in nothing but blank stares, and they're either the generational event (Woodstock) or a reference to a Mount Rushmore-level talent (Beatles, Hendrix).

HoJo's...pretty good choice.   They're completely gone.  Not sure Sambo's was ever that big...more regional than anything...but as you might guess, they eventually caught more than a little flak for that name.  Anyone else remember *the best* root beer ever, IMO...Hires?  Got swept up by, IIRC, the conglomerate who owned one of the other names, and they buried it.  Hasn't been available for years, apparently possibly at a *very few* locations.  

41 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The point of the thread, tho, is more like, what did we experience Back In The Day, that's long gone.  Ziegfeld *died* in 1932. And pop culture references are almost implicitly memory mayflies.  The White Album.  Woodstock.  The 1967 Monterey Pop festival.  I daresay just dropping these would result in nothing but blank stares, and they're either the generational event (Woodstock) or a reference to a Mount Rushmore-level talent (Beatles, Hendrix).

HoJo's...pretty good choice.   They're completely gone.  Not sure Sambo's was ever that big...more regional than anything...but as you might guess, they eventually caught more than a little flak for that name.  Anyone else remember *the best* root beer ever, IMO...Hires?  Got swept up by, IIRC, the conglomerate who owned one of the other names, and they buried it.  Hasn't been available for years, apparently possibly at a *very few* locations.  

I was trying to come up with late ‘50’s early ‘60’s equivalents for those three names and the Zigfield Follies was the name of a variety show on early TV. Before “Toast of the Town”.  (the original name of The Ed Sullivan Show)

Mmmmmm, HoJo’s.   I remember a long summer road trip when I was a kid where my Father kept us all looking out the windows of the station wagon for those orange roofs so we could have a clean place to eat and get directions to the next Howard Johnson’s Motor Lodge, so we could stop for that night.  The taste of a clam roll and a dish of orange sherbet ice cream comes back to me now.

Hm.  There's one that might be dead.  I remember one summer vac that had a long road trip, in a motor home.  Late 60s or very early 70s, as we left California in '72.  Driving vacations these days?  I suspect they still happen some, but it feels like they're mostly dead.  Drive TO some destination FOR the vacation, ok...but not AS the vacation, with no particular destination as the focus.

Something I suspect few of us miss:  smoking in public, like bars/restaurants.  If you think beer advertising dominates sports broadcasts...cigarette ads were MANY times more ubiquitous, on both TV and in print.  Major magazine back and inside front covers were cigarette ads.  Full-page, full color.  Time, I remember for sure.  Pretty sure the womens' mags had their Virginia Slims.  Sports Illustrated for sure.

Huh.  There's another one.  Not gone but a shade of its former self, I believe:  the SI Swimsuit Issue.

Someone mentioned it in passing.
I think we can add record and PC/video game stores pretty much too, right?  Hastings shuttered in 2016, so maybe that's a little too recent for this thread.  Most gaming stores disappeared more like 10, 15 years ago I think.  

Radio Shack been mentioned?

Five and Dime stores...!!!  Or is that too old?

Penny candy...I *do* remember this.  

48 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Five and Dime stores...!!!  Or is that too old?

Penny candy...I *do* remember this.  

Five & Dime stores have been literally replaced by Dollar Stores.  Same kind of low price/low value merchandise. Like a cheesy department store.

Penny candy type confections still exist but it’s now $1.50 a bag.  I’m gobbling down jellybeans and sour balls as I type this.  Curse my late night sweet tooth!

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Someone mentioned it in passing.
I think we can add record and PC/video game stores pretty much too, right?  Hastings shuttered in 2016, so maybe that's a little too recent for this thread.  Most gaming stores disappeared more like 10, 15 years ago I think. 

I remember buying my Atari 800 in what was basically an electronics store.  It totaled $1148 (on the handwritten carbon receipt) with the disk drive and more RAM than anyone could ever use (48K).  Took it home and hooked it up to the black and white TV.

Speaking of disks, it's been clear for a while that most "save" icons no longer have any meaning.

Also I saved many pennies by buying single sided floppies and using a hole puncher to make a notch on the other edge so I could write to the other side.

26 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I remember buying my Atari 800 in what was basically an electronics store.  It totaled $1148 (on the handwritten carbon receipt) with the disk drive and more RAM than anyone could ever use (48K).  Took it home and hooked it up to the black and white TV.

Speaking of disks, it's been clear for a while that most "save" icons no longer have any meaning.

Also I saved many pennies by buying single sided floppies and using a hole puncher to make a notch on the other edge so I could write to the other side.

thus the joke of a millennial seeing a floppy disk: “oh look someone 3D printed the save icon”.  

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Heck, MAD magazine.  National Lampoon.  Playboy.  The Seattle Post-Intelligencer.  etc.

All newspapers really. We had three for as long as I can remember, then one shut down, then the other two merged, then issues got real skinny, then the merged paper quit printing a Saturday issue. 

But fortunately we still have Craigslist for ads and Facebook for news (in meme form).  /s