The Old Folks Home

Starlord

On 4/12/2021 at 6:16 AM, tombrown803 said:

Actual arcades. The buisness that you would go into to play video games.

We have arcades here in SLC. They typically have an admission fee of ~$5, then have the consoles set up to accept nickels.

I spent about a buck playing the Addams Family pinball machine last time we went to one.

I remember when "generic" was a thing. Low-priced canned corn that had a black and white label that simply read "Corn" with no colors, pictures, etc. That kind of thing.

There was a fast food restaurant near where I grew up that took up the concept as well. I think it was called The Original Hamburger Stand. They had a limited menu with low prices (hamburgers for 20 cents, cheeseburgers for 25 cents) and black and white wrappers. 

I remember when McDonalds used to serve their sandwiches in polystyrene containers. My nerves still cringe when I think of the sound of two such containers rubbing against one another.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I remember when "generic" was a thing. Low-priced canned corn that had a black and white label that simply read "Corn" with no colors, pictures, etc. That kind of thing.

There was a fast food restaurant near where I grew up that took up the concept as well. I think it was called The Original Hamburger Stand. They had a limited menu with low prices (hamburgers for 20 cents, cheeseburgers for 25 cents) and black and white wrappers. 

I remember when McDonalds used to serve their sandwiches in polystyrene containers. My nerves still cringe when I think of the sound of two such containers rubbing against one another.

McDLT was a particular favorite of mine, but it basically required the polystyrene container to work as advertised.

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

Hats as formal attire. 

Swallowtail coats.  Recognizing that the tux was actually *semi* formal.  Unless you hang out with the thoroughbred crowd, the morning suit.

For most...the pocket watch.  Only most...cuz I have 2.  They were hugely important before automated signals took over.  Since there were no signals, train timetables were necessary to keep trains separated.  Poor timekeeping was a factor in crashes that cost lives.  So the railroad standard was developed.  Good railroad pocket watches were made into the 1950's, and many are still available today.  It's a niche market, but it is out there.

Heck...with the exception of parts of the Eastern Seaboard, passenger trains are almost non-existent and I suspect, outside the Eastern Seaboard, that people who've taken an inter-city passenger train would be a VERY TINY minority.

And while I'm thinking about it...chronometry competitions.  These were a Very Big Deal, with serious bragging rights on the line;  many of the major brands had dedicated teams work to perfect the accuracy and stability of watches sent to these events, run by astronomies in a few different countries.  Because, again, this is before other methods were developed.  Ships at sea clearly had a critical need for accurate navigation, and relied on purpose-built marine chronometers that were second only to the ship itself in cost.  The accuracy competitions dated back to the mid 1800's, and continued until 1967...when Seiko quartz watches *annihilated* the Geneva trials with their accuracy.

But before then, watch advertising used these results quite a bit.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

For most...the pocket watch.  Only most...cuz I have 2.  They were hugely important before automated signals took over.  Since there were no signals, train timetables were necessary to keep trains separated.  Poor timekeeping was a factor in crashes that cost lives.  So the railroad standard was developed.  Good railroad pocket watches were made into the 1950's, and many are still available today.  It's a niche market, but it is out there.

I still have an old Soviet Molnija pocketwatch around here somewhere.  It is about what you would expect a Soviet pocketwatch to be--not terribly accurate but built like a tank.

I went about ten years almost without wearing watches at all.  When you work at a computer and you carry a cellphone, you don't need a watch to know what time it is.

18 hours ago, Pariah said:

My brothers and I made a little comic where everything was labeled that way. 'Car', 'tree', 'boy', etc.  The winner was 'Rubbers'.