Chip Jacks / Skillchip Interface Systems

iamlibertarian

Chip Jacks, with skills (physical or mental or knowledge or the like) on the chips: How would you create them? Super easy if a VPP can be used, less easy but still viable in a Multipower. But without explicit GM exception to put skills in a framework, would be prohibitive to build (imho) without a framework. But then my experience is limited along this line of thinking. So, suggestions?

You know, plug in the chip with world history at x-level, or a GPS chip, or a Mental Focus chip (+4 Int), or a 'skill wire' chip if your character is 'Wired' (+2 DEX or OCV/DCV or Sharpshooter or the like), or the Chemistry 18 or Surgeon 16 chip, or the Lockpicking 15 chip, and so on.

Thanks!

DC :)

I just had a thought... you could Multiform your own character, with a Chip Jack in your head for the main character, with each Form requiring a particular chip or set of chips (OAF Fragile, with each chip recreatable from a main (or backup) database if the time is taken... Sorry, just thinking 'out loud'.)

DC

4 minutes ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

I would probably build something around Cramming (using the Optional Expanded Cramming rules from Hero System Skills, page 145), and something like Speed Reading, or Overall Skill Levels to reduce the time it takes to Cram.

I will definitely look into the Optional Expanded Cramming. Would that work with the more Physical options though, like +OCV/DCV or Sharpshooter? Or 'wired reflexes'? Or add to INT, or add active GPS to the character? I am trying to put together some sort of true Cyberpunk character that would then be fit into a Champions game.

Thanks! DC :)

2 hours ago, iamlibertarian said:

I will definitely look into the Optional Expanded Cramming. Would that work with the more Physical options though, like +OCV/DCV or Sharpshooter? Or 'wired reflexes'? Or add to INT, or add active GPS to the character? I am trying to put together some sort of true Cyberpunk character that would then be fit into a Champions game.

Technically, no; you'd need to use a small VPP or something for Characteristics and other miscellaneous Powers.  This ability can easily get expensive.  But then, that's probably fair, because it can also easily get super-useful!  :) 

Y'know, it's funny, I hadn't really thought about it before, but it's just in the nature of skills that you probably can't use all that many of them at the same time.  

Focused (and maybe some other limitations) Overall Skill levels could get you close to what you want.  You'd still buy the skills - maybe you need a foundation to benefit from the chipped data, or maybe repeated chipping leaves you with something - but you'd be a lot better at the skill that the levels are distributed too at the moment.  It's already in the nature of skill levels that you need to distribute them, but you could put an added limitation of a little extra time to distribute the levels and or make them all/nothing, you can't put some levels to one thing and some to another, and of course, limited to adding to the skills you have a chip for.   Rather than buying each chip, having a chip or not is a matter of dealing with that limitation. 

...hm... that last bit may be better suited to a cyberpunk campaign.  If you're unique and only have the chips you came here with, yeah, that'd be more like having a fixed set of skills through the focus.

15 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

Technically, no; you'd need to use a small VPP or something for Characteristics and other miscellaneous Powers.  This ability can easily get expensive.  But then, that's probably fair, because it can also easily get super-useful!  :) 

True on the super useful. Now if only skills could be put into a VPP...

14 hours ago, Opal said:

Y'know, it's funny, I hadn't really thought about it before, but it's just in the nature of skills that you probably can't use all that many of them at the same time.  

Focused (and maybe some other limitations) Overall Skill levels could get you close to what you want.  You'd still buy the skills - maybe you need a foundation to benefit from the chipped data, or maybe repeated chipping leaves you with something - but you'd be a lot better at the skill that the levels are distributed too at the moment.  It's already in the nature of skill levels that you need to distribute them, but you could put an added limitation of a little extra time to distribute the levels and or make them all/nothing, you can't put some levels to one thing and some to another, and of course, limited to adding to the skills you have a chip for.   Rather than buying each chip, having a chip or not is a matter of dealing with that limitation. 

...hm... that last bit may be better suited to a cyberpunk campaign.  If you're unique and only have the chips you came here with, yeah, that'd be more like having a fixed set of skills through the focus.

Here is how I am picturing it...

Have a computer or AI in the character's head. Have a set of "slots" into which I could slip chips with skills, data, "powers" (like GPS or Detects or Skills, or yes, skill levels (like targeting or OCV/DCV) or whatever.) Let's say 4 slots.

But the character can also make more "chips." Let's say he gets into an enemy's database. Can download all the data onto a "chip" for later recall. But then he senses the enemy is near, and takes that chip out and installs an general OCV/DCV chip and a pistol +Targeting chip, along with chip #4 being a Spatial Awareness chip (to go with his CyberEyes already paid for). Each chip taking a half-phase or a phase to insert. When the combat still isn't going well, takes out the +Targeting Chip and slips in the "Wired Running" chip to add speed to his escape. Once he gets to a safe place, he slips out the general OCV/DCV chip and replaces it with his Surgeon chip to take care of his wounds.

Now, let's say he's not Entirely unique. What if it were in a superhero level Cyberpunk game. How about stealing chips from other characters/NPCs?

All of this would be easy in a Framework, easiest yet in a VPP, but still very viable in a Multipower. But no Skills or Skill Levels  are allowed in a Framework.

This is why I am leaning toward a Multiform in a VPP. The time it takes (and the roll to do it successfully if in combat) is to "switch chips" (that being the SFX). And, to represent X# of slots, build the base form (AI/chip receiver in the brain, "wired reflexes", cybereyes, etc.), and for each "slot" the character can make one GM pre-approved change to the base character. This would even cover finding/stealing other targets' chips (because they would be pre-approved by the GM already.

I Think I would build it in two parts. First a "Combat Comp" that uses a VPP to "load" programs like OCV/DCV and the like. Then a "Skillsoft" suite of Enhanced Cramming say twice, so you can add two skills, one is likely to be a "mission brief" knowlage of the location etc, and the second a skill soft of choice. A small VPP of skill and tactics: Changes take time/chipset, should be fairly cheap, and the Cramming does the rest

On 4/10/2021 at 3:23 PM, pinecone said:

I Think I would build it in two parts. First a "Combat Comp" that uses a VPP to "load" programs like OCV/DCV and the like. Then a "Skillsoft" suite of Enhanced Cramming say twice, so you can add two skills, one is likely to be a "mission brief" knowlage of the location etc, and the second a skill soft of choice. A small VPP of skill and tactics: Changes take time/chipset, should be fairly cheap, and the Cramming does the rest

I like the concept, but still run into the "no skills in a Framework" problem.

8 hours ago, iamlibertarian said:

If it's something only one PC has access to, I would disallow it.

But if you're trying to replicate a society like Shadowrun where a significant minority of people have access to the tech, it's an interesting way to build it.

You'd probably have to set up the legal system where some skills are legal, some are illegal, and some "should be illegal but no one has gotten around to passing a law against it yet".

PS: Accounting is legal.

PS: Safecracker is likely not legal because if anyone could spend $100 to rent a Safecracker skill for an afternoon, there wouldn't be an uncracked safe in the city by the end of the month.

8 hours ago, iamlibertarian said:

I’ve seen this build used to represent Computers. The thing is even though it’s “illegal” , it does fit the concept really well. So in this case I’d say concept beats rules. So unless you need it to be rules legal, go with it.

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I’ve seen this build used to represent Computers. The thing is even though it’s “illegal” , it does fit the concept really well. So in this case I’d say concept beats rules. So unless you need it to be rules legal, go with it.

Exactly.  The "chip" is a computer in your brain (or whatever).  There are already rules for computers.  

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Exactly.  The "chip" is a computer in your brain (or whatever).  There are already rules for computers.  

I think I’m must not have explained myself. The Computer has as VPP to represent its access to various skills that it can download from the internet.

One of the example characters in Ultimate Metamorph was a Cyber Hero character with chip slots that let him change his skills and personality, built as a Variable Power Pool.

Numatsu Skillslot System, Model Delta, With Personachip Upgrade

Variable Power Pool (Skill and Personality Pool), 40 base + 20 control cost; Extra Time (takes 1 Turn to change slots; -¾), Restrainable (-¼), Limited Use (see text; -½), No More Than Four Slots Can Be Active At Once (-¼), No Skill-Based Slot Can Have More Than 11 Active Points (-½)

Personality chips are Multiforms that contain a complete personality with its own memories and mental skills.  He doesn't have a version that lets him slot physical skills.  With the latest rules, the 11 AP Limitation would be replaced by just buying the appropriate Control Cost.