Champions Complete-related downloads previously in Free Stuff section

Derek Hiemforth

It looks like maybe these went away somewhere along the line, although I see that @Spence apparently re-added the Converting Characters document several years ago.

I still have the others (Animals, Combat Example, Example Characters from Other Genres, and Talent Creation).  Is there any interest in adding these back?

5 minutes ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

It looks like maybe these went away somewhere along the line, although I see that @Spence apparently re-added the Converting Characters document several years ago.

I still have the others (Animals, Combat Example, Example Characters from Other Genres, and Talent Creation).  Is there any interest in adding these back?

That must have been when Simon had announced that they were going to be migrating to the current website and that a significant amount of the downloads in the old site would probably not make the migration.  I was out of work at the time and so I would download what I could and upload it onto the new system during the short time that both sites were accessible.  It was a LOT of stuff and I don;t think I really made too much of a dent. 

But yes, it is always good to have the files available, especially for players trying to get a better understanding of the system. 

22 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

FWIW, I found all those things on Drivethrurpg. However one would think that one should find it Herogames website. I know that’s where I looked initially.

21 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

I just went to upload the first one to "Hero System 6th Edition Documents" using the Submit a File button, and I got the attached error message.  @Simon, any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 7.15.51 PM.png

Have you tried again?

I'm not aware of any persistent issues with uploads to the server, but if it happens repeatedly I can certainly look into it.

Also: what's the size of the file that's causing the error?

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Have you tried again?

I'm not aware of any persistent issues with uploads to the server, but if it happens repeatedly I can certainly look into it.

Also: what's the size of the file that's causing the error?

Just tried again with the same result.  It never lets me get as far as selecting a file.  Just to see if it was specific to browser, OS, or other configurations, I tried it under Chrome, Firefox, and Safari  under MacOS 11 (both with and without VPN enabled), and under Chrome, Firefox, and Edge under Windows 10 (both with and without VPN enabled).  All resulted in the same error message before I select a file.

I've been going to Browse > Downloads, and clicking on the "Submit a File" button.  I have to choose an option in order to continue, so I choose Hero System 6th Edition Documents, I don't select "I want to upload multiple files" (although I did try it that way; no difference), and then I click Continue, and get the error message shown above.

Should I be doing something different to upload?

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

FWIW, I found all those things on Drivethrurpg. However one would think that one should find it Herogames website. I know that’s where I looked initially.

Yeah, the Talents section of the Champions Complete book itself actually refers the reader to the Free Stuff section of herogames.com to download the breakdown of how all the Talents were built.

16 minutes ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

Just tried again with the same result.  It never lets me get as far as selecting a file.  Just to see if it was specific to browser, OS, or other configurations, I tried it under Chrome, Firefox, and Safari  under MacOS 11 (both with and without VPN enabled), and under Chrome, Firefox, and Edge under Windows 10 (both with and without VPN enabled).  All resulted in the same error message before I select a file.

I've been going to Browse > Downloads, and clicking on the "Submit a File" button.  I have to choose an option in order to continue, so I choose Hero System 6th Edition Documents, I don't select "I want to upload multiple files" (although I did try it that way; no difference), and then I click Continue, and get the error message shown above.

Should I be doing something different to upload?

Very odd....I'm not showing that at all (can get through to selecting files without issue and on multiple systems/browsers)...and that's early enough in the process that it's either something specific to your setup or something that everyone would be experiencing (and I don't think that the latter is the case).

You've already tried from multiple systems, so cache isn't an issue...not entirely sure what else to look at (there's nothing in the logs about it).  I'll do some more digging tomorrow...and if anyone else is seeing the same issue, please post in here about what you're seeing (and what platforms, etc.).

Given the nature of the process, there's going to be information saved in session and (likely) cookies -- do you have anything that would be filtering or inspecting internet traffic that is consistent between the systems that you've tried from?  Since you've tried with and without VPN, it would need to be something at a lower level....before the information is encrypted and sent over VPN.

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Very odd....I'm not showing that at all (can get through to selecting files without issue and on multiple systems/browsers)...and that's early enough in the process that it's either something specific to your setup or something that everyone would be experiencing (and I don't think that the latter is the case).

You've already tried from multiple systems, so cache isn't an issue...not entirely sure what else to look at (there's nothing in the logs about it).  I'll do some more digging tomorrow...and if anyone else is seeing the same issue, please post in here about what you're seeing (and what platforms, etc.).

Given the nature of the process, there's going to be information saved in session and (likely) cookies -- do you have anything that would be filtering or inspecting internet traffic that is consistent between the systems that you've tried from?  Since you've tried with and without VPN, it would need to be something at a lower level....before the information is encrypted and sent over VPN.

Nothing I can think of; certainly nothing so cross-platform and cross-browser.  

However, I think I've narrowed it down to something related to my user account.  Just for giggles, I downloaded Opera (so it was brand-new and completely untouched by me in any way). I went to herogames.com, and without logging into my account, went to the downloads area, and clicked on Submit a File.  It didn't offer me the option to upload multiple files, but it worked this time when I selected a category and clicked Continue. (At least, it let me go to the next step.)

When I logged in and tried again, I got the same error message as above.  So there's something it doesn't like about my login.  Maybe because there's a space in my "Display Name"...?

Hmm...I doubt it’s as simple as the space (though it’s a good thought).  You’ve got an OLD account (no offense), so maybe something got horked in the site transfer that we didn’t see before (there were a LOT of issues with the downloads née free stuff section).  I’ll do some digging and see what I can figure out.  Ok if I use your account to check?  (No password involved, just lets me see things through your

account settings)