2021 College Football Thread

Pariah

Definitely better him than me.

Does capture the state of the program post-Carroll.

OK, this is one writer's opinion, but it RIPS!!!!!!!! Helton...and hiring him in the first place...painting him as Simply Not Ready To Be A Head Coach.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2021/09/13/usc-football-top-candidates-replace-clay-helton/

The article points out a number of factors like penalties.  So I'm looking at the Stanford game stats:

--USC had more first downs, yards, and time of possession, but...

--Stanford scored on their 2nd possession on an 87 yard run.  Poor pursuit lanes, poor positioning on defense.

--Just saw this...USC's KICKER gets ejected for targeting on the opening kickoff

--USC has 9 penalties for 109 yards...and PI in college football is never spot of the foul.  So that has to be multiple 15 yard penalties.

--USC was supposed to be the ranked team, at home and they got taken to the woodshed.  42-28 doesn't indicate how bad it was...it was 42-13 before garbage time scores.

So if the article has merit, then I can see where maybe there was just another repeat of things.  

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

--Just saw this...USC's KICKER gets ejected for targeting on the opening kickoff

I'm projecting him as a second day draft pick of the Oakland Los Angeles Oakland Las Vegas Raiders whenever he graduates / declares. 

Really? Colorado State?

American targeting Mountain West powers among handful of expansion candidates in realignment

In reaction to the Big 12's recent raid of Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, the AAC has focused on recruiting a group of schools that includes Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and UAB, sources tell CBS Sports.

20 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And now it's legal to bet on college sports, apparently.

What is the line on Bama NOT winning the SEC?

It's been legal to bet on college for ages.  The only difference is, only in the last 5 years or so has it become acceptable to *talk* about it.  

Since Georgia's only 2-1, "anyone other than Bama" will be a bit less than that...so probably 3-2 or thereabouts, or less.  

I just tuned in to the game in question, and with 9:25 left before halftime, Army has already covered the spread (35-0).

It makes me wonder how long it's been since Army (or any of the academies, or any other Division I football team) scored 100 points in a game.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I just tuned in to the game in question, and with 9:25 left before halftime, Army has already covered the spread (35-0).

It makes me wonder how long it's been since Army (or any of the academies, or any other Division I football team) scored 100 points in a game.

There has been only one 100+ point game in the 21st century. And I can't find it on Wikipedia's list. Someone with better Google-Fu skills than myself will be able to locate that game. It may be an FCS game.

I'm reminded of the 2018 Armed Forces Bowl, when Army crushed a favored Houston team 70-14 using only the run (it was clear what the cadets were doing, but the Cougars were unable even to slow them  down. Surprisingly, it was a great game to watch. I don't know if Armywas deliberately attempting to run up the score, but some plays that were apparently intended to eat clock ended up gashing the defense for big gains.

I don't know how one avoids running up the score in an obvious mismatch. There are also conflicting opinions on just how bad it is to run up the score, rather than how insulting it is to the losing side to simply stop playing your game.

43 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It doesn't appear that their players are aware of that fact either.

The only real "football school" in the ACC is Clemson. Louisville has been getting better of late but is not in the rarefied space Clemson occupies. Miami was once a football power, and still ffields good teams, but Clemson is a machine. Flordia State has been in a steady decline for about a decade.

But as a basketball conference, the ACC is deep, with a very rich history and fabulous rivalries like UNC-Duke.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100-point_games_in_college_football

Speaking of the ACC...they took another egg to the face today.  Michigan State over #24 (har har) Miami, 38-17.

The game in 2003 was Rockford vs. Trinity Bible.  They were both Div III at the time...but probably Trinity Bible was overreaching.  They've moved to the National Christian Collegiate Athletic Assoc...and dropped football in 2019.  Which probably makes sense...their web site shows less than 30 faculty members, so....they're SMALL.  

The most surprising thing from tonight's BYU victory over Arizona State: This is the first time in program history that the Cougars have beaten AP Top-25 teams in consecutive calendar weeks.

That seems impossible, but there it is. 

So, over the last 8 days, BYU gets the call from the Big XII, beats Top-25 archrival Utah to end a 9-game, 11-year skid against the Utes, and then beats another Top 25 team in ASU. 

Somewhere, LaVell Edwards is looking down and smiling--something he rarely did in his long, distinguished coaching career. 

BYU has now knocked teams out of the Top 25 in consecutive weeks. (Utah didn't even receive any votes in the AP this week after losing to San Diego State.) The Cougars also now sit at #15 in the AP and #16 in the Coaches Poll.

Their next four games are home to USF, at Utah State (who is also 3-0 with a win over a PAC-12 team), home to Boise State, and at Baylor. BYU figures to be favored in at least the first three of those games. 

It's a good time to be a Cougar fan.

In most cases, that would be true. With BYU being an independent for the last decade, though, their harder games tend to be at the beginning of the season. Heck, for the last dozen years, they had usually already lost to Utah by this point. It hasn't been uncommon for BYU to enter October at .500 or below.

I know I figured Clemson still had their playoff berth in place, but......

While the Georgia loss might not hurt that much, their ACC performance has been pathetic.  NO offense at all, barring the SC State game (and they're FCS, and not top-drawer FCS at all).

NC State's kicker missed a 39 yarder as the clock expired or this one would be over.  It's in OT now, and the kicking woes (the kicker missed 2 long tries earlier, he's pulling them all left) suggest that Clemson may escape without the L, but they're not winning any style points.  They dropped 3 slots despite winning last week, and this game's worse;  it SHOULD HAVE BEEN a loss already.  Clemson scored a TD to lead off the first OT...drat....

And unfortunately for the players involved, they're getting nailed by injuries too.

And BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sound you just heard is Clemson's playoff dream exploding.  NC State 27, Clemson 21.  YES!!!!!

That was a pretty crazy day of football. I didn’t love the way my Sooners looked, but they won. So hanging out in the “undefeated lounge” another week.

Clemson though… yikes. They might not be very good this year. Great win for (checks notes) NC State?!

Next couple weeks will be interesting. Season is getting underway for sure…