2021 College Football Thread

Pariah

Last December, Utah running back Ty Jordan died in an accidental shooting. His high school friend and teammate, Aaron Lowe, who also plays at Utah, changed his number from 2 to 22 (Jordan's number) to honor him.

Last night, Aaron Lowe was shot to death at a house party after Utah's win over Washington State. 

A second person, a young woman who was also at the party, was also shot and is in critical condition. Police are still investigating and have made no arrests yet.

So tragic, so stupid, and such a useless loss if life. 

There are now reports that The American has been talking to schools from the Mountain West to try to replace Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Their target schools were apparently Boise State (naturally), San Diego State, Air Force, and Colorado State.

San Diego State and Boise State both declined. Boise State is apparently anticipating an eventual Big XII invitation. Whether a meeting between the Presidents of Oklahoma State University and Boise State University two weeks ago in Boise has/had anything to do with this is anyone's guess at this point.

Colorado State and Air Force are apparently interested in making the switch, with an announcement coming perhaps as early as next week.

Leaving the MWC to join the AAC seems like a lateral move at best to me. I'm a little surprised that Colorado State and Air Force would be interested. I'm even more surprised that both schools (especially Colorado State) would be willing to move on without Wyoming. A plan in the old 16-team WAC (remember that?) that would have separated Air Force, Colorado State, and Wyoming was the catalyst that ultimately resulted in half of the conference leaving to form the Mountain West in the first place.

Stay tuned for more details, I guess.

AAC has, I think, better TV deals in place.  I'd also have to look at bowl tie-ins.  But I suspect...especially after the scheduled departures...that you're probably at least close.  If it's an upgrade, it doesn't feel like a big one.

And hey, rivalries schmivalries.  How many people even know that Wyoming-CSU has been a long-term rivalry?  If there's more money to be had?  "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

Speculation time.  CSU may think it's a step closer to be being considered a Real Program.  They've been snubbed for ages...the #3 program, at best, in the state, and NOT a state known for its college athletics overall.  MWC is a third-tier conference at best;  at least the AAC was Group of 5  As I said, whether after this round of musical chairs, that might change.  Or, of course, the splits might become even deeper.

Another issue is...if BSU and SDSU do bail, then does the MWC drop DOWN from 3rd tier?  So it might well seem like a lateral move in a static sense only..

I think a shift to the American makes sense for Air Force. Navy, a game they play every year anyway, now becomes a conference game. And Colorado State makes a good travel partner for Air Force, as well as being arguably Air Force's third most important rivalry. 

As presently constituted, I think the Mountain West is probably the second best Group of Five conference, behind the American. But is the American without Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF a better conference than the Mountain West? I doubt it.

But yes, the Mountain West TV deal has never been great. There was a time when they had their own TV network. It was a joke. (Much like the current TV network of the PAC-12, one might be tempted to say.) The MW's bowl tie-ins are also not spectacular; the only one that routinely featured a P5 team was the Las Vegas Bowl, which paired the Mountain West champion with the 5th or 6th best team from the PAC-12. Sadly, that game has now dumped the Mountain West entirely.

So in terms of TV coverage and bowl access, I suppose membership in the American might be advantageous.

(And for the record, I for one was fully aware of the Battle for the Bronze Boot--the so-called Border War--having grown up not far from Fort Collins.)

PSYCH!

Air Force and Colorado State are staying in the MWC after all. They weren't willing to trade Wyoming and Utah State for Tulane and East Carolina, I guess.

The American's next targets seem to be UAB (which ain't Alabama, but it's in Alabama), FAU (to replace UCF, nominally), and maybe North Texas and UTSA (the biggest remaining media markets in Texas, nominally to replace Houston). 

These teams won't replace the teams they've lost, just like the teams they've lost won't replace Texas and Oklahoma, but they do maintain the league's presence close to where it was while adding one additional football-crazed market.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

As for Cincinnati beating Notre Dame today ... If they can win out, I think they would deserve playoff consideration.

If BYU wins out, they will have beaten seven power five teams, at least two of which were ranked at the time. It would really have helped the Cougars' resume for Baylor to beat Okie State today, but whatever. They could be a dark horse playoff candidate, I suppose.

But it's premature to talk about Cincinnati or BYU, or anybody other than Alabama and Georgia, really, before the first week of November. 

If I were choosing the playoff teams right now, Alabama and Georgia would both be in. I don't think the ACC champion is going to get in; at the moment, it looks like it's probably going to be Wake Forest. Yeah, I can't believe I just typed that. The PAC-12 is a complete fustercluck right now, on which is pretty much the same as every other year. Oklahoma's wins have largely been unimpressive against inferior teams. So who would get my other two votes? Probably Iowa and Penn State.

Actually, I think this would be the ideal outcome. Two SEC teams and two Big Ten teams in a four-team playoff would be the quickest way to guarantee that the playoffs are expanded sooner rather than later. :eg:

They should get it.  Right now, after Bama and Georgia...ok, Penn State perhaps.  But Oregon lost.  Iowa...haven't seen em.  OU might be undefeated but they've been uninspiring.  Were I to bet right now, I'd go with Bama, Georgia, Oklahoma (just because it seems unlikely they'll lose), and...oh my, look at this...Iowa hosts Penn State *next week*.    And Penn State has Ohio State and Michigan, and then Michigan State if they're for real.  (They're #17 right now.)  If Iowa wins...they have a cakewalk schedule the rest of the way, looks like.  No one currently ranked.

That conference on the West Coast looks to be playing itself into irrelevance...again.

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Mother of Hades, but Eastern Washington's red turf is atrocious. It's just so ... red. It's so red that it makes Montana's maroon pants look purple. 

Boise State's is bad, but yeah, that Eastern Washington field is the worst I've ever seen.  It's enough on its own to compel a switch to *anything* else.  The only other similar situation is if Bill Walton is bloviating.  SOOOO out of there!!!!

I know some schools do alternating.  There's one, I forget where, that does normal green and either lime green or yellowish green...I try hard to forget the details.  They're also hideous.

I like gray.  A lot.  Might be boring but I do.

Purple is tricky, it's very hard to get a good shade.

But the combo just DOES NOT WORK.  

Oh my lord...there's worse.

I will warn y'all in advance...what you will see by following this link, cannot be unseen.  You will be scarred.  Again...you have been warned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindenwood_Stadium

The turf is not the normal selection of green, but is instead alternating red and gray. It has been called "The nation’s most original (hideous) football field."

BYU played on two of these last season.

The 5 Ugliest College Football Fields in America

Boise State's blue turf is odd, to be sure, but it's become iconic at this point. I don't think that Brooks Field (Coastal Carolina) is bad ... but seeing it during the BYU game last year made me keep wondering if there was something wrong with my TV.

And yeah, Lindenwood is hideous. Why do I feel like I need a haircut all of a sudden...?

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

As for Cincinnati beating Notre Dame today ... If they can win out, I think they would deserve playoff consideration.:eg:

Usually, non-Power Five teams that get onto a stage that big get their clocks cleaned. I believe Boise State pulled off the upset back in the BCS era, but I don't recall anyone else pulling it off.

This removes pretty much all incentive to let Cincinnati in. Obvious mismatches don't play well in Vegas.

Just beating Power 5 teams doesn't do that much for me, as there are so many mediocre ones.  And besides, they were Pac-12, the Conference of Past Champions.  BYU may move up as other teams slip, but their odds of a playoff berth seem very slim.  Cincy has a marquee win now...unless Notre Dame lays an egg, which they've done a few times recently IIRC.  

Boise State upset Oklahoma with a trick play for a 2 point conversion.  That was a long time ago now, actually.  Since the start of the CFP, with the New Year big games integrated into the first round of the playoffs, the Group of Five looks to be 2-3 against the Power 5.  So it's been much more competitive.

And Vegas doesn't care.  If CSU were to travel to Alabama for a paycheck game, the Tide might be favored by 50.  That's fine;  Vegas will set the line to ensure action.  The odds for a straight Alabama win will be ridiculously terrible.  And there is now SO MUCH MORE than just these.  Spread bets can be had for first quarter or first half.  Prop bets out the wazoo.  MLB, ESPN, and Fox all run betting shows daily.  If you've been watching...how many sports book or fantasy sports ads are we seeing?  Lots.  Ceasar's, MGM, and of course DraftKings and FanDuel.  A few from Wynn Bet, and probably a couple others.  

As long as they're keeping stats and scores, Vegas is good with it.

Four turnovers. Ten penalties. Two failed fourth down conversions. Two red zone trips with no points. Not a great afternoon for BYU. They gave up as many points on turnovers as they scored.

I'm reminded of the old bit about the coach who was asked, "How do you feel about your team's execution?" He responded, "I'm in favor of it."

With any luck, this first loss will take some of the pressure off and let them play a little looser and more disciplined next week at Baylor.

12 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I'm reminded of the old bit about the coach who was asked, "How do you feel about your team's execution?" He responded, "I'm in favor of it."

Legendary Bucs coach John McKay. He also famously said,  "We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."