• Gift to Civilization. Bureaucracy

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference. 

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. Wish Granting Genie

• Secondary Domain. Instant Gratification

• Secondary Doman Superstition and Taboo

• Secondary Domain. Corrupted Concepts

• Secondary Domain:(Bonus) Gold 

Missing Folly's Interference: Gods cannot speak throughout the world, so their truths cannot be declared to all.

Also missing: Flora, Fauna or Ore. Now, what was it again...?

Dean Shomshak

9 hours ago, csyphrett said:

My interference is going to be karma applies to the gods too. Doing good gets you good, doing bad gets you bad.

CES     

Folly won't even notice the difference!

Dean Shomshak

On 5/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, Sociotard said:

I think Psybolt  As Kulan god of Beauty already took the Sun as a domain. Stars would work though. "Can you look away? I can't twinkle when people are watching."

It's a race of humanoid shapeshifting entertainers. Which has many colloquial names. The first one I thought of, though, due to causing an axial tilt (Diversion) closer to the Sun (Kulan's pal) to create the (interference) equatorial tropical zone, was the Sun and the Stars. (And rumor has it they may be from the stars, though most scholars don't see how they could squeeze through the pinholes in Timra’Keth's blanket.) I was also thinking they may be a bit baroque, and was thinking of Vonda McIntyre's novel The Moon and the Sun.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I totally didn't miss that someone took Sun as a domain. :whistle:

Never consumed though perpetually burning,
Lighting the gloom with my comforting flare,
Darkness and gloom are no match for my glory,
Winter and blizzards alike must despair.

Fauna/Flora: Everburn Trees

burning_bush.jpg

The saplings of the Everburn Tree catch fire after two years, and the tree will continue to burn merrily through the rest of its centuries-long lifespan. The flames do not harm the tree at all--in fact they help it outcompete other plants and ward off the effects of frost. Many towns and villages are built around mighty Everburn Trees, as their inextinguishable light and heat are extremely useful.

As waves grow in height
Their crests will ignite
Great breakers of fire
Make traveling dire

Geography: Burning Seas

spacer.png

Some water is flammable. Who knew?

Is it a gift
Or a definition?
What once was makeshift
Has become tradition

Gift to Civilization.  Cooking

spacer.png

Cooking is civilization--raw food is for savages. It is against the tenets of Vaiyarran to eat food that has not been blessed by the touch of fire.

Speaking of Everburn Trees, look to, once again, Australia. Some years back I read how the eucalyptus tree evolved not just to survive fire, but to exploit it. One consequence of Australia's low relief and location on the globe is that it has more lightning strikes per area per year than any other continent; which means more lightning-ignited fires during its dry seasons. A eucalyptus' oily shed leaves resist decay, and so accumulates in a deep bed of, essentially, touch paper just waiting for a spark. But the eucalyptus also has thick bark so it can susrvive fast-burning wildfires -- and buds embedded in that bark, ready to sprout new twigs and leaves immediately after the fire. So it burns out all other vegetation, making more open ground (conveniently fertilized with potash) for more eucalyptus trees. They're like Niven's sunflowers, only slower.

And we human idiots have transplanted eucalyptus trees around the world to similar climates, such as California. As if California needed more wildfires.

Ah, Nature. You never cease to amaze and terrify me.

Dean Shomshak

As for the architecture of the Charr-Loti, the great problem with webs as an architectural paradigm is that they need external stays to support them... or do they?

Back in the 1950s and 60s, Buckminster Fuller and artist Kenneth Snelson experimented with structures based on disconnected struts and cables under tension. Fuller, with his usual love of portmanteau coinages, called the principle "tensegrity" (tensional integrity). Here's a view of Snelson's Needle Tower sculpture:

800px-Kenneth_Snelson_Needle_Tower.JPG.191b77c25aa28fb87cbc95ef6b56660b.JPG

Unlike many of Fuller's ideas, tensegrity might actually be useful. Biologists point out that the musculoskeletal system is actualy a tensional structure. There's a tensegrity bridge in Brisbane. NASA is experimenting with a tensegrity robot for exploring other planets. Tensegrity structures can be incredibly strong for their mass. I presume that a well-designed tensegrity structure doesn't collapse if you cut a single cable. See the Wikipedia article for more information.

Anyway, it seems very much like something intelligent spiders would invent.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

This is why I didn't take destruction as a domain...

E1i0u2QXIAIl9zH?format=png&name=900x900

... because I didn't need to! 

Needs a little something.  Hmm...

Like bushfire they spread,
Like embers they fly,
Dirds, fairies, humans,
Orcs, butterflies,
Raakastah and tribbles...

Spoiler

Interference:  ...all catch fire when they die.

spacer.png

Rice-wind, devout follower of Timra'Keth ran for his damn life as the horde of barbarian savages chased after him out for his blood. They were stronger than him, bloodthirsty, and ruthless. Worse, they were faster! Even his own martial arts training in the ways of Kung Pow Chicken Style would not save him. No, he realized as he raced towards the edge of the cliff, the mist laden chasm a half mile drop awaiting him, only fear could save him now If he could just find the zone, the the epitome of terror! If the legends were true!

A spear whizzed right past his ear, a bit of blood dripped from the lobe. Another inch and the ear would no longer be a part of him!

Well, that helped with the zone finding. He began to chant in a high pitched whine, "I must fear. Fear is the body saver! Fear is the the sweet rush that keeps blood in the frame. I will embrace my fear. I will permit it to fill my mind and, if need be, empty my bowels.  And when I escape what I fear, I shall make sure it is long beyond my rear view. Where the threat is gone, only Mother Fear will remain keeping me safe."

And suddenly, Rice-Wind, member of the sacred order of  Fleeing Chicken monastery, found his speed becoming faster than a greysnout dird! the savages fell behind, muttering in shock! But that was nothing compared to the moment his foot touched mist, and instead of falling, he raced along it as if it were solid! As long he could stay terrified at this level, as long as he didn't look down , he would make it! 

For Fear had power!

Interference:  Fear induced personal miracles! Those who hit a certain level of fear , out their mind soil your pants level panic may find themselves surpassing the limits of their species or attributes! Examples include (But are not limited to): Able to leap far buildings, fling a cow across a pasture at a predator that scared you, or scream so loud that walls break! 

de7736abcb1b8227fd1b81c2564f3e37.jpg

(It should be noted, not everyone knows or believes this happens. Perhaps if we get holy books one can find better instructions in the scriptures of Timra'Keth, likely in a small, thin, flexible holybook encased in a worn fuzzy tribble hide  with the word " Panic!" inscribed on it "... in large friendly letters.)

* with apologies to Herbert, Pratchett, Adams, and who knows who else!

Freezing seas, burning seas, or places with tropical diseases? These were the options the people of the world would have?  While she wanted no fight with the Master of oceans, Timra'Keth decided it was time to bring up one sizable land mass. A place where safety might be possible, and security prized, with enough land to put that agriculture to work for something beyond kelp. A place where species of many sorts might gather into a mosaic of minding your own business while grumbling about how weird and dangerous folks in the next Province were.

She worried they wouldn't be terrified enough, but then she was worried E'il might just flood it out of spite! Who knew? All she knew was there needed to be a chunk of land, sizable, and comfortable with freezing or merely cool temperatures with forests to obscure views, Mountains to block people off, and plains and prairies that looked way too long to traverse so folks would take root. So slowly, in the Darkness that was her bailiwick, she gathered soil and rock in massive amounts, let it gain life and thrive. Perhaps with enough land, people would be safer from each other and the dangerous oceans! 3.85 million square miles (Folly killed Metric fast) it was, not counting the great caverns under it.

When the darkness lifted from it, it was done, a beautiful land was complete and waiting. She dubbed it, Okanadu

Alas, to her sorrow, quite a few brave people settled there too. Will mortals never learn?

Geography: Okanadu- A landmass nearly 3.85 million  square miles, well adaptable to intense cold, or merely cool temps. It does have a lot of 'Snowdirds' that leave it now and then for those distant tropical lands before returning

canada.png?sfvrsn=5dabb2b5_7 A

8 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Freezing seas, burning seas, or places with tropical diseases? These were the options the people of the world would have?  While she wanted no fight with the Master of oceans, Timra'Keth decided it was time to bring up one sizable land mass. A place where safety might be possible, and security prized, with enough land to put that agriculture to work for something beyond kelp. A place where species of many sorts might gather into a mosaic of minding your own business while grumbling about how weird and dangerous folks in the next Province were.

She worried they wouldn't be terrified enough, but then she was worried E'il might just flood it out of spite! Who knew? All she knew was there needed to be a chunk of land, sizable, and comfortable with freezing or merely cool temperatures with forests to obscure views, Mountains to block people off, annd plains and praires that looked way too long to traverse so folks would take root. So slowly, in the Darkness that was her baliwick, she gathered soil and rock in massive amounts, let it gain life and thrive. Perhaps with enough space, people would be safer from each other and the dangerous oceans! 3.85 million square miles (Folly killed Metric fast) it was, not counting the great caverns under it.

When the darkness lifted from it, it was done, a beautiful land was complete and waiting. She dubbed it, Okanadu

Alas, to her sorrow, quite a few brave people settled there too. Will mortals never learn?

Geography: Okanadu- A landmass nearly 3.85 million  square miles, well adaptable to intense cold, or merely cool temps. It does have a lot of 'Snowdirds' that leave it now and then for those distant tropical lands before returning

canada.png?sfvrsn=5dabb2b5_7

I'd object to the whole "cowardice" angle, but I'm afraid to bring it up.

37 minutes ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

I'd object to the whole "cowardice" angle, but I'm afraid to bring it up.

Well... to quote my post.. "Alas, to her sorrow, quite a few brave people settled there too. Will mortals never learn?" and in fact, more brave folks would be inclined to settle than otherwise i suspect :) 

EDIT: I should add I was acting more on her protective domain in function. If I truly offended anyone, I apologize :(

Also ahem... for legal reasons

Any Resemblance to Real Land masses, Living or Dead, is Purely Coincidental

:angel:

(Also it's free of that ugly set of pants ! :) )

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Needs a little something.  Hmm...

Like bushfire they spread,
Like embers they fly,
Dirds, fairies, humans,
Orcs, butterflies,
Raakastah and tribbles...

Reveal hidden contents

Interference:  ...all catch fire when they die.

spacer.png

That should make predation interesting. If this world has predation. Attn Life Deity: Does it?

And of course people eat tribbles. I assume this means they self-cook, and the trick is to put them out before they get too badly charred.

Dean Shomshak

14 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

That should make predation interesting. If this world has predation. Attn Life Deity: Does it?

And of course people eat tribbles. I assume this means they self-cook, and the trick is to put them out before they get too badly charred.

Dean Shomshak

It does make predation interesting. It also makes warfare and murder more interesting as well. But these are not Vayarran’s concern. 

The trick with tribbles is to start cooking them while they are still alive…

Well as Karma also affects the Gods as well, it should come as no surprise that the God of Chaos's Living Void angered the God of Life beyond all reason. This lead to the spontaneous creation of Vigoras who serves The God of Life. Bringing life into the world, curing Infertility and leading The Living Void away from people.

Vigoras can appear as a male or female, young or old and of any race.

That's Mythic Guardian taken care of.

The Shallows

This is the Geography and is primarily for the Seaborn. Here they can live and breed. Deep enough to be safe from casual fishing but not deep enough for ships.

The Shallows spans the world and is close to all the landmass. It is particularly interesting for the shifting geography. But Life endures and thrives. 

Psybolt still has an Interference to select.

Cancer and Pariah still have choices

L Marcus needs a name or their God and a Geography

And for all of you and others who have participated in the past or might want to participate:-

I have an idea for another option

Secret

This is a secret that binds the gods. For example God A and God B are brother and sister. God C killed another God

That sort of thing,

Thoughts ?

Also that all the Gifts are given at the same time. All the Gods come together and make the gifts simultaneously. This may allow for interferences to be given after that or some time later.

The impetus for this comes from a mortal favoured by Odin but hated by Thor. For every blessing Odin gave Thor blighted it. Thoughts ?

I'm also thinking ahead for next year's idea.

And do we neuter Hermit and Old Man through volcanoes and fences respectively. Or is that the other way round ?

Lhash'ka looked out over the tribble-infested world. The Orcks weren't keeping the population down as planned, partly due to the unforeseen influence of Trickster. Well, that would be dealt with soon enough.

For now, there was a larger problem: Starvation. Left unchecked--an idea that offended Lhash'ka to her core--the tribbles might drive the other creatures of this world to extinction. That would not do. Until a more...efficient means of keeping the tribbles' numbers under control could be devised, the problem would require another solution.

Flora: Quintotriticale, a hearty, fast-growing grain to form the basis of life for the food web above it. It can grow in any climate. It can endure storms and other privations. Its seeds can endure the fires and grow again the next season. And its growth is self-regulating: The more quickly it is harvested  or destroyed, the faster it will grow back.

Triticale.jpg