World Creation Superdraft 5: May 2021

The butterflies were interesting . . . for a while. But their flight patterns soon became less capricious and more predictable. Laughter being largely a product of the unexpected, and godly perception being what it was, Mirth soon grew bored of the butterflies. They were pretty good, but they needed something more.

That's it! Friends. That's what butterflies needed! Playmates who could share the realm of the air with them. Mirth thus created ... .dirds!

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fauna: Dirds

Mirth sat back and watched her creations chase the butterflies through the air. She made them kind of smart, but not smart enough to catch too many of the butterflies. She wouldn't want to dampen their enthusiasm for the chase, which was quite infectious.

Theer, god of CHAoS, presents his geographic contribution to the oceanic world, The Krullimore Islands.

pakleni-islands.jpg

Krullimore is an island chain in the southern seas.

Sometimes.

It has also been seen in the northern seas and elsewhere in the world. It is said that the fastest way to travel the world is to stay still on Krullimore, as long as you don’t care where you’re going.

The islands are constantly shifting in relation to each other and even to the water itself – sometimes the islands will submerge or even float in the air above. They are never seen to move, however. They simply are not where you last saw them.

The islands are lush and scenic and are prone to tumultuous weather patterns.

Theer makes his home on largest island, an active volcano that towers over the other islands.

Sometimes.  

Mysterious artifacts are peppered throughout the islands. Treasure hunters that find the isles may walk away with strange and amazing finds – gems of every color, the bones of unidentified animals, maps to unknown regions, tools without a purpose, keys made of metals no person has seen, a bottomless pit, etc. Even the oddest, most confounding items are sought after. People think that they reveal some great secret truth. The real truth is that Theer put these things there because it amused him.

Wow, Kulan, you've made a lot of beautiful stuff! Those sunsets? Magnificent!

Hey, can I be a God of Beauty too? Of course I can! It's not fair that people should have to wait all day to see that lovely color the sun turns when it sets. The world should have sunset you can hold in your hand to look at whenever you want. And make stuff from it. I give the world... GOLD.

Bonus pick used for a second Plant/Animal/Ore. Gold. And many are the mortals who become fools for it, and great the misery caused for lust of it.ac7e73690330fad00fd19de33c7433f6.jpg.06f03158f0fffa1a0e32d557218b52c7.jpg

I'm also seeing a theme emerge for Folly: Secondary Domain: Instant Gratification. The wise are patient. The foolish want things naaaoooow. Regardless of consequences.

Dean Shomshak

Hey, I was going to make an island of wonder! Oh well, it's not unusual for Folly to be late off the mark.

Geography: the Island of Heart's Desire. Tales say that somewhere, there is an island where mortals find everything they could ever want. Trees have leaves of gold, and fruit of jewels or candy. Giant flowers that bloom to reveal lovers more beautiful, and compliant, than any in the mortal world. Palaces just waiting for people to live in them, with armies of servants. Even the lost dead can rise to live again.

But no one knows where it is. The tales say that those who leave the Island of Heart's Desire -- perhaps they want to bring their friends -- never find it again. And anyone who says they know the way, and will sell you a map, is probably lying.

Nevertheless, countless folk have spent their lives seeking the Island of Heart's Desire.

Dean Shomshak

Geography: Everywhere there is need of arbitration of the laws of the land, there is a courthouses where no matter how high or lowborn you are, you may have your grievance heard and addressed by the god of justice. These courthouses are usually permanently installed where they are first needed and remain there

CES 

Lhash'Ka looked out over the all-encompassing Sea. She saw islands, continents, archipelagos. She saw land rise from the Sea, only to be devoured by erosion and forces deep under the surface. She saw humans and others spreading over the face of the solid land and sailing the waters ... and leaving much of the new world unused, wasted.

She was discontented. That so much of the world was inaccessible to its peoples was offensive to her. 

She chose a part of the sea and began to work. The magick flowed from her fingertips, directed, balanced, ordained. After a time, she contemplated her handiwork. The peoples of the world could now walk in the depths of the Sea, at least in this one place.

She was contented once again.

Geography: The undersea realm of Sitnalta. In this place, the rigors of the undersea world--pressure, cold, lack of breathable air--are held in check. its borders are clearly defined, but as expansive as the Sea that it underlies. People of any type can enter Sitnalta from one of three stairways built into the sea from one of three places on the shores of the land. As long as such stay on the staircases, and within the realm of Sitnalta, they are perfectly safe. But wo to those who stray, for their end shall be swift in the icy, crushing depths.

magnin.jpg

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I think as the god of justice, I already have this covered

CES

My bad, I meant it in a broader, survival-of-the-fittest context, but thought you could use an assist with enforcement.  Didn't mean to step on any toes.

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

All people endure them
But few pass them all
They strengthen the worthy
And weed out the vile
Guide justice's hand,
The insight of:

Reveal hidden contents

Secondary Domain: TRIAL

spacer.png

3 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I think as the god of justice, I already have this covered

CES

There is a difference between a trial through justice and life's trials. I think that Old Man is going for life's trials. That being the case I would allow it as it would not impact justice.

35 minutes ago, death tribble said:

There is a difference between a trial through justice and life's trials. I think that Old Man is going for life's trials. That being the case I would allow it as it would not impact justice.

Thanks.  I've edited the riddle to take out the justice reference.  But if anyone needs a good burning, just let me know.

Honestly, between Beauty and Justice, I'm getting squeezed.

15 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Note to self: Write up two superheroines names Beauty and Justice. Twins, maybe. Send them to Hawaii to squeeze Old Man.

I think you could already find this on the Internet... depending on which websites you go to.  

Timra'Keth watched as new peoples arose, beasts spawned, and realms took root. Of course, it was all very dangerous. How would these beings survive the challenges put before them? How might they thrive?

And did any of these beings have a lick of sense? Couldn't they feel the tension in the very surface of the world?
It turned out, no they could not. Some had keener senses than others, but they just weren't aware enough.  She needed beings that would be both fearsome and fearful, so they might teach others to be cautious while being the epitome of it. And so she took dust from earth, and strands of silver out of the sea, and a breath of wind, and wove it with liquid shadow until it was all gathered in a great sac, which then burst forth!

And she warned the first who would grow to be their first queen, “All the world is a danger, little princess facing a thousand dangers, and whenever others spot you, they will  fear you and may squish you. But first they must catch you, weaver, skulker, poisoner, princess who feels every quiver . Be cunning and full of caution and your people shall never be destroyed.”*
And she dubbed them the Charr-Lotti.

Sentient Life: Charr-Loti

pexels-photo-776186.jpeg?auto=compress&c
Charr-Lotti are spiders, mostly resembling the Orb Weaver family in appearance, save that they vary in size from Face Hugger to 'oh god oh god it's eating the St. Bernard'. They have amazing senses, and have naturally occuring venoms. The venoms vary from 'I feel queesy' to "I think my blood is melting it's way out of my veins and I'm gonna - GAK PLOP' .  Most importantly, their mandibles are as skillful as any primate hands at tool use and the like. They can construct webs that, depending on their diet, be quite strong indeed.

They are a skittish terrified people, bordering on the paranoid for the most part, but those few rebels often face the problem of, well, they're creepy as #$#$! So making friends is not easy.  However, they are still capable of crafting great beauty, and when they make a friendship they can be quite loyal. Indeed, they have a saying to denote friendship that translates to "If we were both being chased I would not hobble you even if it would be the smart move".  

* With thanks to the mortal Richard Adams

Timra'Keth observed as the Charr-Lotti came full into this world with the proper attitude: freaking out! Of course, they prayed to her quickly, often without meaning to.

"Oh sweet Timra'Keth what is that bird thing and why is it BARKING?", "I think that Orck is eying me for a snack? Goddess, WHY?" , and of course, "Merciful gods, the human woman is setting her flimsy shelter on fire because I peeked in... is everyone an arsonist?"

Oh yes, very loyal subjects indeed. At last a sensible people. And yet it occurred to her, that strong as webs might be, the homes of the Char-Lotti and other races could stand to be far more secure. And so through nightmares of shelters collapsing, and flooding, and yes burning, the goddess of fear did muse and inspire what would be known as architecture. 

How to build shelters not just with webbing, but wood, clay, stone, and even metals! While she meant the gift to be a good way for everyone to feel secure hiding in their new homes annd never coming out, it soon fell into other less sensible purposes. Designs came not just for defense, or camouflage, but for the joy of creation, the beauty that might come from it, and the study of math and sciences intertwined in it.

The Charr-Lotti were the best at it, using their webs as a base pattern to put works of stone and wood and metal about them.  Indeed, some Charr-Lotti took a chance on bartering their services to those that could stand them to hire them. But every people had their own style, their own designs. With out meaning to, Timre'Keth had gifted all the world with something that was part engineering, and a great deal of art and cultural expression.

Gift to Civilization: Architecture

66509b9e37ae15faa112997bb66f1fbe.jpg

11 hours ago, death tribble said:

I would have said tribulations

CES