World Creation Superdraft 5: May 2021

Mirth watched the smelly humans, the shy Charr-Loti, the Rakasta-whom-Folly-can't spell, the dryads of the wood, and the rest of the sentient folk live and die, and live, and die. There were some great moments in these limited life spans, with Death making the life oh, so sweet. But there was entirely too much grief in the passing. Not to mention, the horrid disposal method each race used for their dead (though she had to admit, the simple composting of the dryads made some sense). Something had to be done. An example, perhaps? Yes, Mirth would build a shining example of how to send a loved one off joyously! and sanitarily!

Geography: The Funerary City of Nola.

Nola is a festive city that holds elaborate and musical celebrations of life when someone passes. Those who bring their loved ones for a funeral are able to cope with their grief by more easily focusing on the good in their departed's life, and celebrate it. Almost as importantly, the dead are buried or burned properly -- not eaten, or left in a ditch somewhere. Eww.

spacer.png

(I know smartphones haven't been invented yet, but this pic has a lot of color in it.)

spacer.png

Eternal migration
On pinions aflame
A wild conflagration
Reclaiming decay
They burn out the stagnant
With merciless gaze
They stoop on the ruins
And set them ablaze
They feed on the remnants
And take flight once more
Burning ascendant
On fire they soar

Sentient Life:  The Fire Hawks

spacer.png

Through a trick of metabolism and divine intervention, these giant raptors are perpetually aflame. They wander the world looking for areas of dead undergrowth or old structures, then set them alight. This drives any occupants out of hiding where they may easily be hunted. Fire hawks are very long-lived (as being on fire discourages predation) and possess equally long memories, and the oral traditions they hand down makes them invaluable sources of wisdom for those who can remain in their presence.

(author's note: Apparently fire hawks are really a thing, in Australia of course: https://wildlife.org/australian-firehawks-use-fire-to-catch-prey/ )

22 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Theer, god of CHAoS, presents his geographic contribution to the oceanic world, The Krullimore Islands.

pakleni-islands.jpg

Krullimore is an island chain in the southern seas.

Sometimes.

It has also been seen in the northern seas and elsewhere in the world. It is said that the fastest way to travel the world is to stay still on Krullimore, as long as you don’t care where you’re going.

The islands are constantly shifting in relation to each other and even to the water itself – sometimes the islands will submerge or even float in the air above. They are never seen to move, however. They simply are not where you last saw them.

The islands are lush and scenic and are prone to tumultuous weather patterns.

Theer makes his home on largest island, an active volcano that towers over the other islands.

Sometimes.  

Mysterious artifacts are peppered throughout the islands. Treasure hunters that find the isles may walk away with strange and amazing finds – gems of every color, the bones of unidentified animals, maps to unknown regions, tools without a purpose, keys made of metals no person has seen, a bottomless pit, etc. Even the oddest, most confounding items are sought after. People think that they reveal some great secret truth. The real truth is that Theer put these things there because it amused him.

I was thinking of a Geography similar to this.. but mine was far more limited and this is so much cooler. :) The goddess of Fear will probably promote horror stories about Krullimore to discourage the mortals... "Krullimore...rhymes with SKULL you wore.. THINK about it!"

which will, of course, only encourage the most heroic of them to seek it out *G*

image.jpeg.8b01e56fcf4a2c033e191f0cd9a2ebe1.jpeg

WORLD CREATION SUPERDRAFT 5

OUR WORLD CREATORS THIS YEAR ARE . . .

Player 1 Cancer God E’il God of the Ocean

• Geography. The World is infinite, flat with many lands surrounded by ocean

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Ore. 

• Interference.   

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. 

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain . 

• Secondary Domain: .

Player 2, csyphrett  God Justice

• Geography. Courthouses

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization: 

• Flora. 

• Interference: 

• Secondary Domain. Law

• Secondary Domain. Order

• Secondary Domain.Punishment 

Player 3,death tribble God Life

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life: 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora/Fauna: 

• Interference: 

• Secondary Domain. Wisdom

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain. 

Player 4, Dshomshak God Folly God of Stupidity

• Geography. The Island of Heart’s Desire

• Sentient Life. Humans

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Instant Gratification

• Secondary Doman

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain:(Bonus) Gold 

Player 5 Hermit God Timra’Keth Goddess of Fear

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Char Lotti

• Gift to Civilization. Architecture

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference: 

• Mythic Monster or Guardian: 

• Secondary Domain: Protection

• Secondary Domain / Option: Darkness

• Secondary Domain / Option. 

Player 6 L Marcus God Trickster

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Raakastah

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Fauna: 

• Interference:  

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. The Sphinx

• Secondary Domain.  Magic

• Secondary Domain: Self Improvement

• Secondary Domain / Option.

Player 7 Logan.1169 God THEER God of Chaos

• Geography. Krullimore Islands

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. Butterflies

• Interference: .

• Secondary Domain. Gambling

• Secondary Domain. Luck

• Secondary Domain: 

Player 8 Old Man God Vaiyarran God of Fire

• Geography. .

• Sentient Life: Fire Hawks

• Gift to Civilization.

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain / Option. Change

• Secondary Domain: Interference: Truth

• Secondary Domain / Option.Trial 

Player 9, Pariah God Lhash’ka Goddess of Opposition

• Geography. Undersea realm of Sitnalta

• Sentient Life. Orcks

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora: 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Struggle

• Secondary Domain. Sport

• Secondary Domain. 

Player 10, Pattern Ghost God Mirth Goddess of Laughter

• Geography. The Funery City of Nola

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. Medicine

• Fauna. Dirds

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Death

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain. 

Player 11, Psybolt God Kulan God of Beauty

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora. 

• Interference. 

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. The Winged Unicorn

• Secondary Domain. Ego

• Secondary Domain. Sun

• Secondary Domain.Music and Poetry 

Player 12,Sociotard God Tallywacker God of Debts and Obligations

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Dryads

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Fauna/Flora. Riding turtles

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Duty and Role Ethics

• Secondary Domain: 

• Secondary Domain: 

E'il creates and distributes the beginnings of Our favored sentient life, the Eech.

Originally there were nine times thirty-seven Eech, and then E'il doubled that number for good measure.  He spread them throughout the world, no two together, each Eech on or near the shoreline of a larger-than-average land, and the Eech sang as the waves of the sea crashed against them from time to time, and conversed with whatever other sophonts (and others) were nearby, if those others were of a mind to talk.  They feared not pain; they feared not fire; they feared not folly; they feared not fear, or destruction, or death, or the ocean deeps.  The Eech were not indestructible, but in their destruction they could spread, as chance and the whims of other creatures carried them from their original emplacements.

For the Eech, in their primordial form, are stones.  The original six hundred threescore and six of them were large, the size of humans' houses, or towers, or even the hills on which the towers might be built.  Fracturing an Eech does not diminish the Eech: each fragment is a new Eech, with the memory of its forbear but a new personality, and the largest remaining fragment retains the mentality of the original.  In the beginning only wave and cataclysm slowly broke the Eech apart, and sophonts accelerated the breaking, as they mastered tools and availed themselves of Timra'Keth's Gift.  A few Eech were shaped and became fixtures in buildings or roadways or harbors.  Some lesser pieces were admired for their form or hardness or color and became tools or ornaments.  Some were recognized as ores and smelted into new forms, and all that was made from an Eech became a new instance of Eech-ness, with its own voice and mentality.  Slowly the Eech spread across the lands, and then between the lands, as other agents moved the sentient rocks from place to place.  In this way does E'il hope to fill the world with uncountably many singers, and the concert of their voices, along with the unceasing music of wave and water of the infinite Ocean.  For in Kulan's Domain does E'il also take delight.

The Eech communicate by voice, and with any who will listen and speak in reply.  A new-shattered Eech may become a village of stones, chattering, singing, bickering, joking, declaiming among each other, a village that changes slowly as the smaller fragments are made or carried away.  They welcome conversation but do not talk incessantly, and if a matter deserves long thought, well, a stone has quite a long time to do its thinking without need to interrupt the thought to pay attention to the necessities of flesh.  It is in their nature to understand all language, but other than by voice, no mentality can be discerned in the physical form of the stone, so magic or psionics cannot find or affect the soul of the stone.

If there is one great sorrow that afflicts the Eech, it is in the ephemerality of the other sophonts.  Many Eech can tell of many friends they have known over the long ages, friends whose forms long ago fell silent and are no more, recounting them with delight, and sorrow, and annoyance, and affection.

The Eech: sentient rocks

So, I just watched a movie called From Hell It Came on "Svengoolie." Set on a South Sea island, so naturally of interest in the circumstances. The plot, as such goes thus: An evil witch doctor connives to execute the son of the chief who just died. The son swears revenge and comes back as... a killer walking tree, called a Tobonga. Sort of a low-budget, evil Ent, with a touch of the Brady Tiki. Despite being very slow, it manages to start killing people off. When it's beyond the power of the natives, it's up to a few American doctors and scientists to stop the creature.

I am tempted to have the Tobonga be Folly's mythic guardian/monster, because this is one of the stupidest movie monsters I've ever seen. But I'll spare you. I'll try to have something better by Monday.

EDIT: Ah, and here's a shot of the Tobonga! And of course somebody whote it up as a monster, and aomone else made a miniature of it.

260101006_130px-503530267-Tobonga.jpg.1e1be8e91cf4c254f55e8e99e8ead872.jpg

Dean Shomshak

I have seen bits and pieces of the Walking Tree. It is like a number of rather shall we say ripe features like Robot Monster, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Fire Maidens from Outer Space, Monster From Green hell, The Giant Claw and Devil Girl From Mars.

If you want this as your Mythic Beast, so mote it be !

E'il declares the second of Our subordinate domains:

Storms, including hurricanes, tornadoes, waterspouts, lightning, and thunder. 

Because at times distance alone is insufficient to dissuade the foolhardy.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:07 AM, death tribble said:

I have seen bits and pieces of the Walking Tree. It is like a number of rather shall we say ripe features like Robot Monster, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Fire Maidens from Outer Space, Monster From Green hell, The Giant Claw and Devil Girl From Mars.

If you want this as your Mythic Beast, so mote it be !

From Hell It Came isn't as (unintentinally) funny as Robot Monster or Plan 9. More's the pity. I haven't seen those others.

Tempting though it is to to make Folly's monster a very slow walking tree stump, I already had a monster in mind: the Wish-Granting Genie. The genie can take many forms. Sometimes it's an actual spirit, perhaps summoned by an object (such as a ring or a lampo). Sometimes it's a talking animal. Sometimes it's just an object, such as an animal's paw. Sometimes it offers wishes to a specific person; sometimes its mere proximity is enough, and it acts whenever someone says, "I wish..." But the number of wishes granted to any single person is always strictly limited: never more than three, because tradition.

The genie is at best literal-minded, at worst an utter dick who grants wishes in the worst way possible within the letter of the wish. Modest and personal wishes are typically granted without any problems: For instance, "I wish my poor hovel was transformed into a comfortable stone cottage." But people tend to become idiots when they make wishes. They wish to become invisible, so they can spy on people and steal stuff -- but forget to ask that their clothes become invisible, too. And what about becoming visible again? Or they wish for a magnificent palace with servants and dancing girls to replace their miserable hovel -- and a king knocks down the hovel to build his palace. And wishing to raise the dead never seems to work out well.

And sometimes people are just careless, as in the familiar story of a poor dird-catcher and his wfe. One day he catches a dird. To his surprise, it can talk. The dird promises the man three wishes if he sets it free. The man does so.

His wife is dubious when he tells her about the day's strange event. "You could get a lot of gold for a talking dird," she points out. "And just because the dird talks, doesn't mean it can grant wishes. You should have demanded a wish before you set it free."

The man feels kind of a fool then, but it's dinnertime and he's hungry. How about sausages? His wife says they're out. She hasn't been able to buy any more sausages because they're also out of money. The man sighs. "I wishe we had a nice, big sausage." And >ker-poof!< A nice, big sausage appears before him.

His wife shrieks, "You idiot! You wasted a wish just to get a sausage! Oh, I wish that sausage was on your nose!" And >ker-poof!< the sausage was merged with the man's nose. "Now who's the idiot?" he says bitterly. "We have only one wish left!"

"Well, I'm not going to waste it getting that sausage off your face," the wife says grimly. She picks up a big knife.... But before she can do anything, the man blurts, "I wishthesausagewasoffmyfaceandIhadmynoseagain!" >Kef-poof!< The sausage was back on its plate on the table. So after being given the power to reshape the world, all they got out of it was a sausage.

Okay, it was a pretty good sausage. But still, just a sausage.

N.B.: By its nature, the Wish-Granting Genie potentially trespasses on the domains of every other god. By cosmic symmetry, therefore, every other god can interfere wish a wish that so trespasses. It's one reason why big wishes tend to go so badly awry. For instance, raising the dead? That's a direct challenge to Mirth's authority, and she tends to make the results humorous, though possibly not for the wisher. Wishing to win every gamble, in direct defiance of Theer? The God of Chaos will find some other way to disrupt your life.

(I wanted to add an image of a genie from DeviantArt, but AOHell is being more than usually sluggish today. Maybe later.)

Dean Shomshak

26 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

And sometimes people are just careless, as in the familiar story of a poor dird-catcher and his wfe. One day he catches a dird. To his surprise, it can talk. The dird promises the man three wishes if he sets it free. The man does so.

His wife is dubious when he tells her about the day's strange event. "You could get a lot of gold for a talking dird," she points out. "And just because the dird talks, doesn't mean it can grant wishes. You should have demanded a wish before you set it free."

The man feels kind of a fool then, but it's dinnertime and he's hungry. How about sausages? His wife says they're out. She hasn't been able to buy any more sausages because they're also out of money. The man sighs. "I wishe we had a nice, big sausage." And >ker-poof!< A nice, big sausage appears before him.

His wife shrieks, "You idiot! You wasted a wish just to get a sausage! Oh, I wish that sausage was on your nose!" And >ker-poof!< the sausage was merged with the man's nose. "Now who's the idiot?" he says bitterly. "We have only one wish left!"

"Well, I'm not going to waste it getting that sausage off your face," the wife says grimly. She picks up a big knife.... But before she can do anything, the man blurts, "I wishthesausagewasoffmyfaceandIhadmynoseagain!" >Kef-poof!< The sausage was back on its plate on the table. So after being given the power to reshape the world, all they got out of it was a sausage.

Okay, it was a pretty good sausage. But still, just a sausage.

Oh, I've heard this one. It was an episode of Super Why.