World Creation Superdraft 5: May 2021

Theer had an image problem. Why did so many people fear her? She blamed Timra’Keth for the most part. The people of the world blamed her for the wild, unpredictable dangers of the world without seeing their beauty. They called her a god of destruction though she could not be held responsible for such things (though she did appreciate such things). No, people were perfectly capable of destruction without her help. Nor was she the god of death or of fire or of war, yet people attributed these things to her no matter how pretty the butterflies were. The world was born of chaos, and chaos will be there after it is gone. She needed to show people the former to dispel the fear. She needed to show what chaos could be…

Theer, the God of Cha0s, selects as a secondary domain Potential!

pieces-of-lego-displayed-during-the-exhi

“There is no heavier burden than an unfulfilled potential.” —Charles Schulz

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

Oh, I've heard this one. It was an episode of Super Why.

I said it was a familiar story. 😇 I read it when I was very young. When I Googled it, hoping to find the excellent illustration of the man with the sausage on his nose, I found a more recent retelling as a kid's book.

I suppose I could have substituted some other food item or body part, but the sausage on the nose is just so perfect, no wonder it's a classic.

Dean Shomshak

On 5/4/2021 at 9:51 AM, csyphrett said:

To go with justice, I am picking the law as one of my secondaries. The rules are what the rules are

CES

That's... so profound. And rules give people stability and certainty in a world of chaos and fear. Security. And iof some laws are good, more laws are better. Here, I'll help out by being a God of Laws too! Laws for what people can wear, and when. Laws for where people can build, and how. Laws for how big the holes can be in cheese!  Licenses for every form of work, and every regulations for how it should be done. All written down -- since someone already gave the world writing, I know somebody mentioned books -- written down in detail, so no one ever has to wonder what to do or how to do it. SO MOTE IT BE.

People will be so happy!

Gift to Civilization: Bureaucracy.

Bureaucracy probably can't be avoided for a large and complex society. It's how ordinary minds perform tasks that are too big for any individual, but wow, there's no stupidity like bureaucratic stupidity.

And though there is law -- endless, swaddling, stifling law -- there is rarely justice. Only procedure.

Our world probably does not have a DMV, but any society develops something like it once it reaches a certain complexity. Drab chambers of bored people filling out paperwork.

DMV_0_40791914_ver1.0.thumb.jpg.0623d32046519500702e706810e21bba.jpg

Dean Shomshak

Mirth considered all the races her kindred had created, and sighed. That cat things, the pink things with thumbs, the flaming birds, the tree folk, the fey folk, the adorable spider folk, the immortal rock folk . . . were they folk? . . . what wondrous things. Mirth thought that the sentients were a great addition to this new world, and was getting wistful. She'd made things for the sentient races, but making a sentient people? That seemed daunting.  Maybe she would start with a singular creation, something to bolster all of the races and to get her feet wet at motherhood as it were.

Though she loved laughter, Mirth realized that folk can't laugh all of the time. Mostly because the other gods would see that as too much of an intrusion, but also because it would rob laughter of its magic, and turn it to a cruelty. And Mirth wasn't cruel. Folk also can't be without laughter all of the time, and Mirth noticed that sometimes the sentient peoples needed to be lifted up, shown joy again. Those that had smaller iterations of themselves that grew . . . ah, yes, children, that was the word. Those that had children had a valuable resource, given that the young were vast reservoirs of energy and laughter. Mirth idly scratched the ear of one of her favorite species of dird, and drifted along on her deific stream of consciousness, letting it carry her to an idea.

A friend, and uplifter of the spirit, and also a guardian of those small versions of folk. Yes, something big, and fierce if need be, but mostly congenial. Visible to the young, but an invisible helping hand to adults. Mirth laughed, and out of that laughter arose:

Guardian Beast/Spirit: Tororu

spacer.png

Ignite a vast pyre
And they'll heed the call
Alive comes the fire
Enveloping all
Eyes kindle alight
Scaled body soars
Fierce talons shine brightly
Searing breath roars
As landscape turns ashen
Its summoner may chant
Beseech the new dragon
Three wishes will grant

Mythic Monster or Guardian: The Fire Dragon

spacer.png

A fire that grows large enough gains form and sentience as the spirit of the Fire Dragon inhabits it.  Once summoned, its main purpose is to burn everything in sight, and it will take to this with enthusiasm.  But whoever started the fire that spawned it may call upon the Fire Dragon to grant him or her three wishes.

When one walks the woods of he world, be they above or under water, one may hear a sinister sound; a slow  hiss, a sharp exhale... Rarely it comes out like a shriek! All at once!

And one finds the they have closed near a tremble tree! They are not attractive. they are grasping knotty trees riddled with holes that appear almost scabrous! Their noise is not constant, for else folks get too used to them. No, they seemed to have been made by the goddess to freak folks out with unexpected noises above and behind you. 

But how do they make that sound the natural philosophers might ask? Well, rather than CO2, they store, then periodically release a lighter than air non flammable gas, nothing lethal or harmful. It gets in their very wood and can be released when burned. If breathed in too long, this can lead to terrifyingly shrill voices but it fades.

Some have begun experimenting in capturing the strange vapors that exude from tremble trees... but surely nothing will ever come of that.

Flora Pick: Tremble Trees

il_570xN.982851108_7u8o.jpg

Which are meant to terrify, and never absolutely EVER to be used to lead one day to this...

4bb1eef6d7354833180726e761163224.jpg

Theer, God of cHaos, once more stretched forth his hand and blessed the world with life…

The Quantim are bipedal humanoids that stand three to five feet tall. They resemble both humans and fairies and seem to be a combination of the two. Their skin and hair come in a multitude of colors and will often change hues as they grow. The Quantim have three genders and even this is subject to change as one grows. They are an exceptionally curious race and make great explorers.

The Quantim are blessed with an exceptional ability, the innate power of teleportation. ‘Blinkers,’ as they are sometimes known, tend to be mischievous pranksters. They have a lot of fun with Folly’s humans but frequently run afoul of Lhash’ka’s humorless orcks. Their broad definition of ‘ownership’ has caused no small amount of conflict with the other races of the world.  

giphy.gif

“One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.”

Sentient race: The Quantim

Mirth continued to consider . . . motherhood?

Being a goddess had its perks, among which was to appear as she saw fit, and to speak the languages she saw fit to speak. So, Mirth assumed the guise of the intelligent species, and walked among each in turn.

She wanted to hear their stories first hand, to experience the world with their senses, and to share in their laughter.

[More to come, pressed for time.]

Each, in turn, bored her to tears. She'd have to fix that in her own creation, but in the meantime, she thought her fellow gods could use just a smidgen of help to make the world a better place. . .

Interference: Every member of every sapient species knows at least one funny story, anecdote or joke.

The God of Life decided that his fellow gods/goddesses had missed something for the Ocean had no great life forms,

E'il had created the Eech which pleased The God of Life greatly so from the depths created the Seaborn. These beings would keep the the oceans as their preserve and travel around all the islands. No being could outswim them and they could plunge to the depths of the sea.

Humans believe that the Seaborn were created from those who drowned in the oceans or are a curse as they superficially resemble humans having two arms and legs. But they have scales like a fish and webbed hands and feet.

Sadly they are also edible and some sailors hunt them for food and stake out places where the Eech sing as the Seaborn are attracted to the singing rocks and sing back to them.

The God of Life does not like the fact that his children are thus abused and believes one of the other gods/goddesses is somehow responsible. 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, L. Marcus said:

The Trickster picks their Gift to Civilization: Martial Arts!

Let's try again. Apropos of the Trickster, or maybe Chaos, either the forum or AOHrll is playing hob with my attempt to post.

HA! I knew there'd be Kung Fu Catpeople!

As apology for the spoiler earlier, I'd like to post an illo if a Catman Warrior NPC I did for my old Planetary Romance campaign. I know there's no shortage of Catpeople pix on the Web, but, well, it's what I've got. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything on my screen. So I have no idea what's going on.

ROVAN.BMP

Dean Shomshak

Interference: Attributes are diegetic, and they are currency.

When sentient beings reach a certain age (25 in humans, other species vary) they gain access to their innate Attributes as currency, and their attributes begin slowly draining. The rate of drain varies. Attributes can also be lost through disease, poison, magical effects, and so forth. (Luck and Magic might also be expended directly. I haven't decided. Or maybe those gods should decide) They can replenish and even grow their attributes through commerce (I'll trade this apple for three strength points). They can also do this through other methods, which vary by attribute.

The effect of Attributes is given by the natural log of the Attribute point. Someone with 22,026 strength points has a strength of 10.

Values of 8 are considered normal human levels. There is no upper limit (imagine what the Rockefellers of this world are like). You cannot go negative on any attribute, and bad things happen when any of them get low.

Attribute points are not fungible. If you have a few extra strength points, you might be able to trade them on the open market for something else, but you can't just plug them into a different attribute.

The attributes:

To honor the God of Opposition and Struggle: Strength If this gets to a 1 a character might struggle to even breathe. At 30 they might punch out the fire dragon.

To honor the God of Fire: Vigor This is both energy and passion or drive. At low levels characters sleep a lot, become laconic, and get winded doing anything. At high levels they can run full sprint for days on end, and their passion can overwhelm others.

To honor the God of Wisdom: Intelligence Try not to let this get low. Even simple jobs are hard for stupid people.

To honor the God of Order: Sanity at low levels is, obviously, insanity. At high levels, characters have an extreme relationship with reality and are able to shred lies, logical fallacies. They can control their own thoughts and desires with ease. Some say there are those with extremely high Sanity who can twist the perception of reality of those around them.

To honor the God of Mirth: Dexterity For Dancing. Its a stretch but I couldn't think of anything else.

To dishonor the god of Fear: Courage

To honor the God of Storms: Resistance That is, resistance to harm. At the highest levels characters can walk through hail and lightning, live without food and water, ignore the most virulent plagues, and more.

To honor the God of Luck: Luck

To honor the God of Magic: Magic

To honor the God of Beauty: Comeliness at very low levels other people might reflexively hit you.

EDIT: as for Folly, Gold is its own currency. No attribute needed here. There are rituals to store attributes on gold objects.

My inspiration:

In Time - Opening Scene (HD) - YouTube