Jump to content

History question: Marksman's Guardians


armadillo
 Share

Recommended Posts

My understanding is that The Guardians (Marksman, Gargoyle, Icestar, etc.) had their HQ in the top floor of the Henderson Electronics building (or top two floors). 

 

I'm trying to use their real history for inspiration. Did they have a team transport? (Like a quinjet or X-Men's Lockheed?) Some sources say they were based in San Francisco...?

 

I have found write-ups for them on this forum, which is cool, but I'm looking for trivia around details about how they operated day-to-day.

 

Anyone got any intel? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Humm...

 

As for if they had an official transport device, I would love to say yes, but I suspect otherwise. Ice star has his ice slides. Flair can fly. I think Rose could also fly. Goliath can stride across the city in giant mode. Gargoyle can fly. Marksman can either hitch a ride with one of the others, add a jetpack via his Gadget Pool, or take one of his many civilian cars to a crime scene. Heck, if the crime scene is relatively near by, use his Gadget Pool to build him a Swingline Gun or two.

 

They might not need one, but it is a good thing to have around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

I'd love to see a Hero Games video feature with interviews some of the Guardians players on their experiences with the game, and info on their characters.

I think it is already too late for that. Most of them are doing their own thing, and you need a soothsayer to contact Gargoyle's player. I don't think Hero has the resources to contact them, let alone information. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might try talking to Scott Ruggles via PM.  He gamed with some of the original crew.

 

He helped me answer a question I'd had for a while.  Easy going guy; great to get along with.  Shoot him a PM, as I think the discord is his current weapon of choice.  (I had to bow out of it; too unstructured for my tastes)

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

I think it is already too late for that. Most of them are doing their own thing, and you need a soothsayer to contact Gargoyle's player. I don't think Hero has the resources to contact them, let alone information. 

 

I don't know about that, Steriaca. Some of the players met not too long ago to play in a game ran by Sean Fannon. I realize that Mark Williams has long passed, but some of the other players have some great stories about him, I'm sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I don't have headquarters and such. With Denise's input and ok from Heroic Publishing I was able to do 6th write-ups for the League of Champions, which is what the Guardians became, for a upcoming TPP Champions Organizations #2. However, in there comics the League disbanded. Icicle is trying to change that though.

 

If you go to their website there is a drop down menu for some of the characters. No abilities, but origins for several. No Gargoyle though, they didn't aquire the rights to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

You might try talking to Scott Ruggles via PM.  He gamed with some of the original crew.

 

He helped me answer a question I'd had for a while.  Easy going guy; great to get along with.  Shoot him a PM, as I think the discord is his current weapon of choice.  (I had to bow out of it; too unstructured for my tastes)

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is a fantastic idea. I will send Scott a message. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Its tough to even find characters to rebuild for modern Champions.  If I ran the company that's one thing I would definitely do though, get info and bundle it up: the first Champions campaign.

 

Amen to that, Christopher. I would love to see a book akin to Strikeforce that told the story of the original Guardians campaign.

 

5 hours ago, tiger said:

While I don't have headquarters and such. With Denise's input and ok from Heroic Publishing I was able to do 6th write-ups for the League of Champions, which is what the Guardians became, for a upcoming TPP Champions Organizations #2. However, in there comics the League disbanded. Icicle is trying to change that though.

 

If you go to their website there is a drop down menu for some of the characters. No abilities, but origins for several. No Gargoyle though, they didn't aquire the rights to him.

 

That's not entirely true, Greg. Both Marksman and Rose had to undergo some changes due to legal issues and were renamed Huntsman and Psyche IIRC. I'm sure there are others that know what happened better than I.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

 

Amen to that, Christopher. I would love to see a book akin to Strikeforce that told the story of the original Guardians campaign.

 

 

That's not entirely true, Greg. Both Marksman and Rose had to undergo some changes due to legal issues and were renamed Huntsman and Psyche IIRC. I'm sure there are others that know what happened better than I.

Basically Dennis stated that he could run the characters much better than the original creators, which got a few of them angry enough to request their characters back. This Huntsman instead of Marksman, Psyche instead of Rose, Flying Fox instead of Foxbat, Doctor Death instead of Doctor Destroyer. It also caused Hero Games to cut all ties with Dennis. He already got the rights back for The Great Supervillain Contest and the Conoris Effect, two modules he written. And all his characters from the first three Enimies books and at least two characters from the original Escape From Stronghold (Radar and Sonar).

 

It should also be noted that the relationship between Heroic Graphics and Hero Games is now better (but not exactly repaired at 100%). It probably helps that Dennis has promoted himself to publisher and left the editor and chief and writer to someone else.

 

Still don't expect a Guardians Sourcebook anytime soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

You might try talking to Scott Ruggles via PM.  He gamed with some of the original crew.

 

He helped me answer a question I'd had for a while.  Easy going guy; great to get along with.  Shoot him a PM, as I think the discord is his current weapon of choice.  (I had to bow out of it; too unstructured for my tastes)

 

 

 

 

Too much activity for an old timer?  Just drop in occasionally to chuck some bombs, need more old blood.  And new blood.  Even True Blood.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, steriaca said:

Still don't expect a Guardians Sourcebook anytime soon.

Probably not, my book is as close as it may get. Dennis helped but it's still my version not an official thing or nothing. Do hope everyone enjoys it though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, steriaca said:

Basically Dennis stated that he could run the characters much better than the original creators, which got a few of them angry enough to request their characters back. This Huntsman instead of Marksman, Psyche instead of Rose, Flying Fox instead of Foxbat, Doctor Death instead of Doctor Destroyer. It also caused Hero Games to cut all ties with Dennis. He already got the rights back for The Great Supervillain Contest and the Conoris Effect, two modules he written. And all his characters from the first three Enimies books and at least two characters from the original Escape From Stronghold (Radar and Sonar).

 

It should also be noted that the relationship between Heroic Graphics and Hero Games is now better (but not exactly repaired at 100%). It probably helps that Dennis has promoted himself to publisher and left the editor and chief and writer to someone else.

 

Still don't expect a Guardians Sourcebook anytime soon.

 

10 minutes ago, tiger said:

Probably not, my book is as close as it may get. Dennis helped but it's still my version not an official thing or nothing. Do hope everyone enjoys it though

 

It's funny. I've heard differently from another publisher who's working with some of the original players to produce a book for another system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

It's funny. I've heard differently from another publisher who's working with some of the original players to produce a book for another system.

Could be. I just meant as far as this system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

 

 

It's funny. I've heard differently from another publisher who's working with some of the original players to produce a book for another system.

I believe Dennis was the other person, Icons was the system, Kickstarter was the funding, and the Kickstarter campaign a failure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

I believe Dennis was the other person, Icons was the system, Kickstarter was the funding, and the Kickstarter campaign a failure.

 

Dennis Mallonee seems to have some success on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/heroicpublishing/created

 

 

There is a certain feel to his comics and to the Champions comics from way back. It's a different vibe from mainstream comics and I dig it. It may be an acquired taste in the sense that maybe it helps to play Champions first and get introduced to the characters kind of peripherally, and then you also get the angle they're coming from. Like, a story based on how a plan for a Champions campaign went is different than planning a story the traditional way. 

 

When I read comics in this sub-genre (comics that are byproducts of rpgs), I kind of get a running subtitle in my mind of how it would have gone in-game. I know that many of the stories were not transcribed gameplay, but the fact that some of it was and these are offshoots of those "real" characters and their decisions is what gives it a special flavor for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, armadillo said:

 

Dennis Mallonee seems to have some success on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/heroicpublishing/created

 

 

There is a certain feel to his comics and to the Champions comics from way back. It's a different vibe from mainstream comics and I dig it. It may be an acquired taste in the sense that maybe it helps to play Champions first and get introduced to the characters kind of peripherally, and then you also get the angle they're coming from. Like, a story based on how a plan for a Champions campaign went is different than planning a story the traditional way. 

 

When I read comics in this sub-genre (comics that are byproducts of rpgs), I kind of get a running subtitle in my mind of how it would have gone in-game. I know that many of the stories were not transcribed gameplay, but the fact that some of it was and these are offshoots of those "real" characters and their decisions is what gives it a special flavor for me.

Seems to me that most of his Kickstarter stuff is "help me find a printing of a comic book". Of course neither Marvel or DC ask Kickstarter people to fund the next issue of Superman, Batman, or Spiderman. 

 

As for your vibe, remember that it was originally Dennis' take on those characters, not the original takes on the characters. So your not actually reading a hit by hit game session made into a comic book. In fact, there was a Flair story which told of an Icestar fight which went out of their way to give the middle finger to Hero Games combat (he attacked then move, as opposed to move then attack).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Seems to me that most of his Kickstarter stuff is "help me find a printing of a comic book". Of course neither Marvel or DC ask Kickstarter people to fund the next issue of Superman, Batman, or Spiderman. 

 

As for your vibe, remember that it was originally Dennis' take on those characters, not the original takes on the characters. So your not actually reading a hit by hit game session made into a comic book. In fact, there was a Flair story which told of an Icestar fight which went out of their way to give the middle finger to Hero Games combat (he attacked then move, as opposed to move then attack).

 

Totally (I didn't know about this scene). But the idea that it's giving the middle finger to Champions is what I would argue still makes it about Champions! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

 

 

It's funny. I've heard differently from another publisher who's working with some of the original players to produce a book for another system.

 Sean Patrick Fannon ran a game three years ago, with his Southern California Regulars.  Ray Greer and I were in town for Albert Deschane's (sic) funeral, and sat in on the game. Sean was NOT running Hero that day, but his new "light" system  "Powers and Paragons" or something like that, though there was a conversion of Hero characters to Sean's much simpler system.  This might be it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, Armadillo, what is your goal?  To nail down the characters for 6e, or produce a history about the beginnings of Champions?  As far as I know, the Guardians were the Playtest group of Heroes, and use of the characters was sporadic after the publication of Champions. I will probably  be going to the "get together" on July 4th Weekend this year, at Steve Petersen's house, with the Heroes, for the 40th Anniversary of the Launch of Champions, and I could ask a few questions. (Unfortunately, there are no conventions in the Bay Area this year, due to California COVID-19 restrictions still in place mostly.)  Other than that, it's up to them if they want to be forthcoming with campaign information or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

So, Armadillo, what is your goal?  To nail down the characters for 6e, or produce a history about the beginnings of Champions?  As far as I know, the Guardians were the Playtest group of Heroes, and use of the characters was sporadic after the publication of Champions. I will probably  be going to the "get together" on July 4th Weekend this year, at Steve Petersen's house, with the Heroes, for the 40th Anniversary of the Launch of Champions, and I could ask a few questions. (Unfortunately, there are no conventions in the Bay Area this year, due to California COVID-19 restrictions still in place mostly.)  Other than that, it's up to them if they want to be forthcoming with campaign information or not.

There is no guarantee that they'll be forthcoming with the information. To many of them it is old news and would be surprised that many of us care about this. Depending on how they feel, it might be either "you shouldn't care, our campaign isn't your campaign" to "if you want to include character x, your free to do so in your private game" to "go make your own legacy characters dam zit."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, steriaca said:

Still don't expect a Guardians Sourcebook anytime soon.

Messaged with Dennis no sourcebook coming, problematic was my impression. Not planning to update either module at this time. He is considering a Witchgirls supplement, Pyche (Rose) & Black Enchantress with elements from Coriolis Effect.

 

Also considering a Heroic Publishing community. I guess maybe people can discuss the original campaign there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tiger said:

Messaged with Dennis no sourcebook coming, problematic was my impression. Not planning to update either module at this time. He is considering a Witchgirls supplement, Pyche (Rose) & Black Enchantress with elements from Coriolis Effect.

Yep. I think there still is some bad blood. I know your upcoming supplement will only be loosely based upon the LoC comics.

4 minutes ago, tiger said:

 

Also considering a Heroic Publishing community. I guess maybe people can discuss the original campaign there.

Maybe.

 

I kinda like the Backworld version of the Guardians (mostly just a thought experiment than an actual supervillain team). I like my take on Rose (Corpse Flower), and Titan/Force (the one trapped in an alien power suit) (The Machine). One of these days I would want to write up The Eliminators. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Yep. I think there still is some bad blood. I know your upcoming supplement will only be loosely based upon the LoC comics.

Could be, dunno. Not something we needed to discuss

 

My rendition are based on the original comics & input from Dennis. But, still not the "official' write-ups or anything. Muerte & Terror Inc. was pretty much the same as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...