Updating Bay City

Mark Rand

I'm working on updating Bay City from Champions: New Millennium for a play by post campaign.  One thing I've decided that the Champions Headquarters from those books, and the team, is gone, but I'll, probably, keep the sub.  Marvel's Avengers Mansion will serve as the basis for the new headquarters.  Any other ideas?

• 11 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, Mark Rand said:

I'm working on updating Bay City from Champions: New Millennium for a play by post campaign.  One thing I've decided that the Champions Headquarters from those books, and the team, is gone, but I'll, probably, keep the sub.  Marvel's Avengers Mansion will serve as the basis for the new headquarters.  Any other ideas?

As someone who is considering updating Bay City for my own game, I'd be interested to see what you had come up with. :)

The real world inspiration for the artwork for the design of Avengers Mansion back in the ‘60’s was a museum in Manhattan. I don’t remember the name off the top of my head but with some research we could find it.  It’s probably still there if you want photographs.

I might use the map of Champions Headquarters in New Millennium books with some adjustments to what goes in the rooms.  A swimming pool on an upper floor doesn't make sense when right below it are living quarters.  The staff might also get some changes.

On 5/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, Tjack said:

The real world inspiration for the artwork for the design of Avengers Mansion back in the ‘60’s was a museum in Manhattan. I don’t remember the name off the top of my head but with some research we could find it.  It’s probably still there if you want photographs.

Very little research indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Clay_Frick_House#cite_ref-22

If you were updating the Bay City timeline, would you move the Proprietor War to a more recent date or would you leave it at the turn of the millenium and have other events take place recently? 

Would you include reference to Covid? Perhaps as a side effect of some other event? 

1 hour ago, TCArknight said:

If you were updating the Bay City timeline, would you move the Proprietor War to a more recent date or would you leave it at the turn of the millenium and have other events take place recently? 

Would you include reference to Covid? Perhaps as a side effect of some other event? 

I'd leave the Proprietor War where it was.  Yes to COVID, possibly as the result of a lab experiment that went horribly wrong.

There have been a few changes in the Champions' support staff.  Bonnie Knight is now the base technical expert.

In the original, Captain Joanna “Jo” Amos of The Guard, who is on very-detached duty, is secretly Quantum, the leader of the Champions.  In this version, her identity recently became public.  Her friend, Captain Dwight Macready, the regional commander of the Bay City/Norcal Region, sometimes calls her in to consult with her.

• 11 months later...

This is, essentially, the next generation of Bay City. 

Since Treasure Island, where Champions Headquarters was set in the Champions: New Millennium books, is actually a thriving neighborhood, Champions Headquarters will have to be relocated, possibly to its own, man-made, island.           

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

I'm working on updating Bay City University.  The California Academy of Sciences isn't going to have the city's only planetarium.  Bay City University will have one, too.  Its staff wear royal blue flight suits and its Zeiss Mark IV planetarium projector rises to the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Edited by Mark Rand