Sharing source material?

Darkhope

Question for Hero company. I had a question on a discord server for Hero System about military ranks and points. I thought I remembered seeing it in my dark champions book but it was in storage so I couldn’t check. I found the information online and took a screenshot of the chart in the book. Is sharing that screenshot allowed? I see people asking questions about rules and costs of points all the time. But wanted to make sure it was permitted.

I just think that is a little ridiculous and extreme. A chart? On one page of one book? Whatever happened to fair use? If I manually typed the information out is it any different? I’ve seen people ask about hit location rules and power build questions and these questions are answered all the time. So if I typed out

E 1-3 0 points

E 4 1 point

E 5-6 2 points 

etc... 

is that ok? Because people answer questions like that in this forum every day. And it’s information from a book. How is the screen shot of the chart any different than a person answering a system question about points.

Edit: to clarify, if that’s what you guys rule is then ok. But are we allowed to type the information out as long as it’s not a copy? And I don’t mean typing a whole book out. Just the power, chart, rule etc information needed for topic of discussion 

Again, sharing discrete information from the books is perfectly fine (and, as you say, something that occurs all the time on the forums).  Copying larger amounts of text, posting an image of full pages from the books, etc. is going too far and infringing on copyright.  How much is too much is going to be situational and a judgement call -- if you need to ask, it's probably best not to post that much.

Answering questions typically requires small portions of a given writeup from the books (e.g. "Does the Charges Modifier max out at +1 or +1/2 when applying it to a Blast?").  If the entire writeup is needed, you should refer the person to the appropriate page in the book (e.g. "Is there a table that lists the damage and modifiers for common melee weapons?").  If they don't have the book in question, then that's all the more reason NOT to post the entire page/section -- we're not looking for a reason for people not to purchase books, we're looking to help answer questions for people who have the books.