Mental Powers & Desolidification

Opale

Question

Hello there ! 

I have quite a complex question around the use of Mental Powers and the Desolidification power combo. For the example I'm using a 5th edition book, but I guess there wasn't major changes in the rules around my point in the 6th.

In Vibora Bay book, Dr Ka is defined with an Astral Form, which is Desolid. And has a bunch of mental powers to use, but without Affect Desolid adder. The Ultimate Mentalist book doesn't help in explaining that, just giving some tips on what happen when the target or the mentalist becomes Desolid AFTER a Mental Power has been used. I understand that EGO represents the "mind" of a person, and could be affected by any mental powers, even from a desolid form.

Does that means the Dr Ka's character has clearly been badly built (p47 Vibora Bay), since he only got a naked advantage of Affect Desolid applied to his STR?

His mental powers are clearly made to affect people while his Desolidification is Persistent, 0 END cost.

I had the "feeling" that he might be able to attack physical beings with his mental powers while Desolid, but maybe I misunderstood how he could use such powers. Having such a multipower only able to affect other astral forms seems a bit useless.

I need the info, since my players are ongoing the excellent Imaginary Friends scenario.

Long Live to Champions and HERO System

1 answer to this question

Characters using Desolidification cannot use Mental Powers to affect solid targets unless those powers are purchased with the Affects Physical World Advantage (6E1, pg. 191)

This applies to Dr. Ka's astral self form as well. When Dr. Ka projects his astral form, it can be intangible, invisible, etc., but it does not have to be (it is 0 END and Persistent, but not Always On). Clearly, he sometimes has it off (hence the Astral Toughness Multipower, which gives him Damage Reduction when semi-tangible).

As written, the Mental Powers of his astral form only work vs. solid targets when the astral self is not using Desolidification.