7th Sea 2e

HeroGM

Some friends are discussing doing a 7th Sea game (2nd Edition). Has anyone looked at it? I've flipped through my friend's copy and it seems a bit different from 1st (which we used to play way back when). I've noticed they've changed the continent and opened up the "New World" for players.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

12 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Some friends are discussing doing a 7th Sea game (2nd Edition). Has anyone looked at it? I've flipped through my friend's copy and it seems a bit different from 1st (which we used to play way back when). I've noticed they've changed the continent and opened up the "New World" for players.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I have no insight for you. I just popped it to say you might want to ask the question on the 7th Sea forum (Chaosium) here https://basicroleplaying.org/forum/71-7th-sea/

Played it a bit ago.   The change in the world could have been interesting, but we never got far into it.  The game system changed too much from what it was.  I cannot even remember what i hated.

Had first ed played it a bit

acted at Renn faire with John Wick back in the 90's(I'm in Pirate Nations)
I found that  the spending on stats for keep dice was the way to go(you want to keep at least 3 dice)
I was on the 2nd ed Kickstarter, but have not played 2nd ed

• 1 month later...

I've played 7th Sea, both 1st and 2nd editions.  The differences ... some good, some bad.  Bearing in mind that ours is a large group ... When playing 1st edition I tried making a go with a character who was neither in a duelist school nor a mage, and unless your campaign is far more plot-heavy and combat-light than the ones I've seen, such a character ended up as not really worth playing.  I haven't decided yet if that's true in 2nd edition also; I have a Glamour mage in one campaign, and a none-of-the-above sailor in the other, and we spend enough time sailing around in hazardous waters and and in ship combat that the sailor is worth having, so far.

One of my Origins' GMs talked to Wick in the hotel bar about 2e.  Now, our tables are 8-10 each for these games and said GM had questions about running for large groups.

It never occurred to John Wick that such a large group would play the game at the same time.  He had in his mind 4 at max -- including the GM.