Marvel Universe, tabletop RPG, out 2023

Bazza

Did some digging on this.  No hard details on the system of course, but author Matt Forbeck did Mutant Chronicles, Deadlands, the Brave New World supers RPG, and a bunch of D&D supplements.  He's good at what he does, though BNW was class-based and directly inspired by deconstructionist stories like Kingdom Come and Dark Knight Returns, which I know are favorites here. ;)

Perhaps more telling are the hints that the new game will be "accessible" to players of other popular game systems (*cough* D&D *cough*) and the similarity of the stats block to d20.  I can think of ways to make d20 less bad for supers, but I have to say I'm lowering my expectations.

10 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I'm kinda wondering "D616" means an exploding D6 approach.

Since this is a corporate tie-in project, I have no expectation to begin with.

Considering it's Marvel, I expect they're mandating the designer use a 616-sided die (with no consideration that no player or GM would be able to see the die result when rolled).

2 hours ago, archer said:

Considering it's Marvel, I expect they're mandating the designer use a 616-sided die (with no consideration that no player or GM would be able to see the die result when rolled).

Why wouldn't they be able to see the result on a bowling ball-sized die (available exclusively as a lease from the Disney Plus streaming online store)?

35 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Why wouldn't they be able to see the result on a bowling ball-sized die (available exclusively as a lease from the Disney Plus streaming online store)?

The police will have the place roped off as a crime scene after players throw their spare dice at the GM.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

2 problems:

1.  Exactly WHICH face is the one on top?

2.  A nearly spherical die with 600 facets, will be very close *to* a sphere.  So each time you roll it, you'll have to wait a long, long time for it to actually settle.  And you'll need a table with a raised edge, or that puppy's gonna roll off *way* too often.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The old Marvel Super Heroes game wasn't awful, just kinda simple.

I have a 400-page hardcover compilation of all the old MSH books which shows how a kinda simple game can crumble under the weight of its supplemental rules. Moreover, I found the game burdened with quite a bit of cumbersome chrome, turning what was indeed "kinda simple" (in the Basic version of the rules) into something as complex and obtuse as AD&D.

FASERIP Marvel didn't have a lot of supplemental rules. It had the Ultimate Powers Book, which was optional and best used with caution, and then the Realms of Magic supplement for the Basic Set that was ultimately pretty simple and well-designed. Everything else is character write up books, and modules.