Limbs with Separate BODY

dagredhel

How would you build a limb that has its own BODY separate from the character's?  I.e., so that damage taken to the limb doesn't reduce the character's BODY but instead draws from a separate pool that only applies to the limb in question.

The special effect could be a cybernetic arm, alien physiology, nanotech that prevents bleeding and shock, or biokinetic power that limits the affects of damage to the body part struck by an attack.

Would a limitation (e.g., partial coverage equivalent) to represent the body part on extra BODY cover it?  Does the advantage that damage to the body part will never put the character at zero BODY or kill him or her balance the disadvantage that the extra BODY doesn't add to negative BODY, affect calculations for impairing or disabling, etc.? Is it effectively a +0 advantage/limitation?

Or would you build it a different way?

Summon or Duplication will both result in separate characters, with separate BOD. Those may have their own challenges, but I suppose the Duplicate could simply have defenses, STUN and BOD, and never recombine, with any abilities of the limb being purchased by the main character, "not if limb KOd or dead".

A cybernetic arm could simply be a Focus, although that approach is less useful for the other effects.

I think the right approach is just to buy up defenses and take a limitation for them indicating that only the cybernetic arm is protected.  The character might also buy some skill levels with maneuvers like block or martial block.  In order to prevent the character from taking body damage via the arm I would recommend getting hardened armor and discuss with the GM what level is appropriate to ensure that the rest of the character's body is not harmed by damage to the arm.  Hero system covers all kinds of possibilities but it may not cover every imaginative idea you have.  Sometimes you just have to work with your GM.

I am not a fan of using summon, duplicate or a follower for the arm because it could be (for example) mind controlled to attack the character, unless that is something the OP might want...  

Thank you for the replies.

Duplication and Summon seem problematic because the limb, unlike a hydra's heads, *wouldn't* act independently.  It would still be controlled by the character and only act on his or her phases, etc.  It's not a second complete character, or even an independently acting body part.  It's just an arm or a leg, doing normal arm or leg things.  While limitations and complications could model that, it seems much too complicated. And would Mind Link work as a stand-in for normal control over a limb, feeling, and natural coordination?

Honestly, I suspect Hugh Nielson is right that Duplication would work.  It's just much, much more complicated than I'd prefer.

I think Grailknight's suggestion is similar to what I was thinking.  If hit locations are used, there is a limit to the amount of BODY damage a limb can take.  I was thinking that extra Body could be bought up to that amount (or thereabouts) with a partial coverage limitation.  The character's normal BODY could have the (+0?) limitation "Only vs. damage to head and torso" (or "Not versus damage to right arm", etc.)

Foolishvictor makes a good point about resistant defenses.  I can see how that would work fine for a cybernetic limb.  Damage high enough to bypass the armor would be so catastrophic it does damage to the character's organic body as well.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:50 PM, Grailknight said:

Duplication is probably the best way to model this but that can be overly complex.

Unless you want there to be absolutely no chance of the main body taking damage, I 'd just buy extra body for the limb and extra defenses with the limitation only stops damage targeted at the limb from reaching the main body.

This seems to fit the bill nicely! 

On 6/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, LoneWolf said:

Is the limb removable?  If so a focus limitation could work.  Make it a breakable focus and it will have its own Body. 

The other issue is that it's obvious but given the hit location rules for targeting and arm should be more difficult to hit than an OIF.

Is hitting someone in the arm easier than hitting a small pistol held in the hand?  If you are using the hit location as a comparison you should be taking a lot more penalty to target most foci than the rules provide.  If you did that the value of the focus limitation would need to be greatly reduced. 

Buying the limb as a follower (robot) would significantly increase the cost, with little or no added benefits.

6 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Is hitting someone in the arm easier than hitting a small pistol held in the hand?  If you are using the hit location as a comparison you should be taking a lot more penalty to target most foci than the rules provide.  If you did that the value of the focus limitation would need to be greatly reduced. 

Buying the limb as a follower (robot) would significantly increase the cost, with little or no added benefits.

For some reason, I was thinking the limbs could do things on their own ala Doc Oc, but a robot would provide a limb with Body that could be brought back with time. Duplication - 0 Body and it's 'dead'.  I guess focus is the best but how would you work that out, point cost-wise? Your limbs are 0 pt cost, innate on top of that.