Skill Levels

Greywind

I am in the process of overhauling Longbow.

Longbow started out as one of my characters in a friend's campaign. The GM wanted a more dangerous world. Starting BODY was 6 if I recall rightly. This also put a limit of defenses and whatnot.

One of the things I did for that reality since Hit Locations were in use, was to take 8 skill levels only for reducing Hit Location Penalties.  GM agree and the limitation was set to -1.

What I am thinking of now is expanding that so that "aiming for unarmored locations" would in effect also reduce the target's activation roll on their defenses.

Thoughts?

If you expand what the skill levels counter it should reduce the value of the limitation. Hit locations can make an attack particularly effective so you may be better off leaving it the way it is.  

Does the campaign also use critical hits?  If so are there any caps on it.  One common cap is that since an 18 always misses the maximum chance to critical hit is 8 or less.  If you are using critical hits the best use of skill levels are going to be increasing your chance to hit, especially if there are not any caps.  If there is a cap at 8 or less than having a 15 or less gives you a 16% chance to critical, and a 26% at 17 or less.  So if you are using critical hits don’t bother with any other penalty skill levels until you have a 15 or less chance to hit most targets.  

I am currently neither playing nor running. The overhaul process is bringing the stats and abilities up from the more lethal approach that GM used to be inline with a more standard campaign. As such, not all campaigns use Hit Locations. Thus, those skills will be wasted.

Very simple reasons:

1) I'm working from the original character sheet which was circa Champions III

2) I can't find my black book.

The version I am working on would be for 5th, as are all the characters in my thread. The 6th versions go into the second, later character thread.