What does this spell even do?

IndianaJoe3

So, I'm looking through the Swords and Wizardry (OSR D&D clone) rulebook and I come across this spell.

Legend Lore
Spell Level: Magic-User, 6th Level
Range: Caster
Duration: See below

Over the course of long and arduous magical efforts (1d100 days), the
caster gains knowledge about some legendary person, place, or thing.
The spell’s final result may be no more than a cryptic phrase or riddle,
or it might be quite specific.

Isn't this just research? You'd think that a sixth-level spell would give better results than simply spending time in a good library.

sounds like it's a hint, to be honest.

No INT check; no research check.  Just a guaranteed hint.  Or a push.

The only advantage I can see over research is that you can't fail.  I'm not familiar with S&W (the non-handgun version, anyway), so I can't speak to the appropriateness or utility of it.

Well, it's research that you can do without the resources of a library, without having to travel to whatever location might or might not have the information, and without having to negotiate access to the information after you finally get there.

And it also gives information even if every knowledgeable source about the topic was burned to a crisp 18 centuries ago.

I can't personally say that it's very useful unless your character has a bad reputation and won't be given access to royal libraries. Or if you're traveling to a remote location before you first know that you're going to need the information.

But if you made it a lower level spell in D&D, low level players would use it as a crutch and never try to develop contacts or try to stay on the good side of whichever institutions have knowledge in the game world.

I am assuming that is from D&D.  The pathfinder version seems to be a lot better.  For one thing the casting time is a lot quicker.  Depending on how much information you already have the Pathfinder version takes between 10-40 minutes to 2-12 weeks.  Also if the person or item is at hand the information is more detailed.  If you don’t have any real information the first casting will lead you to more detailed information,  which in turn allows you to gain more information, which then often gives you enough information to find the person or object.  

So two casting of the spell and a little adventuring will often allow you to find what you are looking for.  Well at least for the Pathfinder version.  Basically it is a plot device to give the players a clue when they have no other leads.  

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2021 at 6:29 AM, IndianaJoe3 said:

So, I'm looking through the Swords and Wizardry (OSR D&D clone) rulebook and I come across this spell.

Isn't this just research? You'd think that a sixth-level spell would give better results than simply spending time in a good library.

The point is that the spell will give you a result even if it is about something that is completely forgotten to history.  The reason for the varied random result is so the GM has the ability to throw a Macguffin in there for the players.  It might give information no one knows as well such as the item is possessed by a demon or the place has a curse on it.