Pariah

11 hours ago, death tribble said:

Unfortunately Margaret Court hold the record for most Grand Slam single wins, most Grand Slam Doubles wins and most Grand Slam Mixed Doubles wins. She hold the distinction of winning Grand Slam titles after pregnancy which Serena has not yet achieved.

Undoubtedly she is the greatest player we have seen as Court's career was over before we began paying attention.

Court played extensively in the closed era, when the pros weren't allowed.  Also, 11 of her singles titles were in the Aussie...and even through the 80s at least, many players skipped the Aussie.  Getting there was just too much of a pain.  Chris Evert only played it 6 times, for example.

On the other hand, she did win the Grand Slam in '70...6 consecutive overall.  So, no doubt she belongs in the conversation, but there's no way it's automatic she's the best ever.  

I agree with Michael that the competition is deeper and better.  Another factor, the matches are MUCH more physically demanding, and therefore draining.  This to me has been a factor in the wildly erratic week-to-week results we see in the women's game...seeds getting knocked out *early* on is extremely common.  Even top-5 seeds.  Unseeded players making semis and finals.  I think modern media is harsh, intrusive, and fundamentally a negative factor...Naomi Osaka is the obvious point, but it's much more pervasive.  Court operated largely in a vacuum, which in this case...is a pretty nice place to be.  

On 8/12/2022 at 11:25 PM, unclevlad said:

Court played extensively in the closed era, when the pros weren't allowed.  Also, 11 of her singles titles were in the Aussie...and even through the 80s at least, many players skipped the Aussie.  Getting there was just too much of a pain.  Chris Evert only played it 6 times, for example.

On the other hand, she did win the Grand Slam in '70...6 consecutive overall.  So, no doubt she belongs in the conversation, but there's no way it's automatic she's the best ever.  

I agree with Michael that the competition is deeper and better.  Another factor, the matches are MUCH more physically demanding, and therefore draining.  This to me has been a factor in the wildly erratic week-to-week results we see in the women's game...seeds getting knocked out *early* on is extremely common.  Even top-5 seeds.  Unseeded players making semis and finals.  I think modern media is harsh, intrusive, and fundamentally a negative factor...Naomi Osaka is the obvious point, but it's much more pervasive.  Court operated largely in a vacuum, which in this case...is a pretty nice place to be.  

Pretty sure Court only played on 2 surfaces as well.

First round matchup at the Western and Southern in Cincy...a fan's *dream*.  Andy vs. Stan.  Murray-Wawrinka.  Neither where they were, both past their prime, but 3 GS titles each, which in careers completely overlapping The Big Three...is a big deal.  

Andy's doing better;  he's had more time.  Stan had surgery *twice* on his foot.  Brett Haber noted that Stan's clearly nearing the end of his run, and referred to an article in the Player's Tribune Stan wrote.  Interesting article...but I've always liked Stan anyway, so I'd feel that anyway.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/stan-wawrinka-tennis-wimbledon

Notes from the world of sports media...

--The Field of Dreams game this year attracted only half the viewers it did last year.  Some of it could be the teams...neither the Reds nor the Cubs are close to contending.  What has to concern everyone is whether it's principally a gimmick...cool enough, sure, but after a while, it gets old.  Fox beat us over the head with it...last year and this year...for months.  Burnout...?  Another issue might've been the timing.  For a national game, it started at 5 (Mountain).  

--The Dallas Cowboys signed a rights deal for preseason broadcasts, and pre- and post-game content during the season, in Mexico.  The deal's with TelevisaUnivision...a honkin' big player in the Mexican media world brought about by a merger earlier this year.  This likely will make it harder for anyone else to try to exploit that market.

--A hedge fund investor type with a big stake in Disney, is advocating they spin off ESPN.  The major argument, apparently, is that the separation will let ESPN go places Disney wouldn't accept...namely, for more sports betting support.  I dunno;  most bottom-line crawls offer at least some near-real-time live updates.  Me...I think Disney's been gutting ESPN for years now

Ouch.

It's possible Serena just played her last match, because she just got blown off the court 4 and 0 against Raducanu.  Raducanu's the 10 seed, sure, but to get bageled is saying she was non-competitive, and in just 2 weeks...won't become competitive.  The first set was perhaps misleading, too;  Serena did break once, but she struggled hard to save in every service game, and Raducanu basically cruised.

We have a presenter on British TV called Fred Sirieix. He has presented the First Dates show and has done a programme with Gordon Ramsey. He has a daughter who competed at the Commonwealth Games and won medals.  She has just become the European 10m Diving champion. She rejoices in the name of Andrea Spendolini Sirieix. She competes for Britain.

England medals at the European Championships in Munich. I saw the 5,000m. The German Klosterhalfen tracked the Turkish runner and then took her to win the race. She missed out in Eugene Oregon due to illness. So this was popular with the home crowd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/62595490

Joe Fraser wins European all around title and is the first British man to do so

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/62592995

OMG.......

https://news.yahoo.com/parents-easton-oliverson-little-league-122147827.html

At least the kid's talking and able to move somewhat...

First time it's happened...and I daresay the LAST time, cuz Little League will probably never use bunk beds again.

A weird flashback for me.  About 15-20 years ago...weird nightmare.  A sense there was someone else there.  Thrashed around...and actually threw myself out of the bed.  Not a bunk, of course, but my right leg *slammed* into the edge or corner of a solid, heavy oak table.  The bruise didn't clear up fully for about 3 weeks, IIRC.

Easton Oliverson has been released from the ICU.  He's taking, and able to take a few steps...his neurosurgeon believes he should make a full recovery now...which is awesome, because there was only the slimmest of hopes he'd *survive*.  Yes, it was that close.

But it's still gonna be a long, probably somewhat delicate recovery.  I'd think the area where the skull fractured, is likely to be of particular concern for several years.

12 hours ago, death tribble said:

History making tennis results from America. A qualifier and the lowest ranked player take the titles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62627507

In all fairness, Garcia and Coric are not rookies. They may not currently be in the top tiers of the sport, but they have years of experience under their belts.

To take that further, Coric's career high rank was 12.  He made the QF in Hamburg (an ATP 500) in July, so he's been making a comeback.

Plus:  he beat Nadal in the 2nd round...Nadal's first match since Wimbledon, where he had to withdraw.  Rafa's health, conditioning, and game are all question marks.  Now, to be sure, taking out Auger-Aliassime and Tsitsipas is great.  But...no Fed, no Joker, no Zverev.  The top of the men's game is not at all solid.  We're seeing quite a few players vaulting well up the rankings.  Cam Norrie's gone from 50ish to top 10 in just over a year.  Taylor Fritz has gone from around 40 to #12.  Carlos Alcaraz has SHOT!!! up...140 at the start of 2021, 30 at the start of 2022, now 4th.

Some of this is just aging.  Cilic is down to #17;  Bautista Agut to 18.  They were top 10.  Some is injury, wear and tear, I think difficulties and uncertainty in scheduling due to Covid...many very good players have lost their usual spots in the rankings, so they're SERIOUSLY under-ranked.  This is true on both sides.  Garcia hit #4 back in 2018.  And go back to the women's final at the US Open last year.