APG Shrinking

unclevlad

So I'm finishing up implementing APG Shrinking in HD.  There's a bug left in displaying the DCV adjustment but the rest looks to be working.

So APG shrinking is 3 points per level, and 2 levels gives 1/2 height and therefore 1/8 mass.  That part was easy enough to do.  Still did a double take as I was thrashing out the adjusted height and weight...because 1 level of shrinking means:

71 inches (5'11", pretty average) --> 51 inches.  OK, no problem.  Square root of 1/2 is .7071, yep.

200 pounds --> 69 pounds (!!)  

Yep.  .7 * .7 * .7 is .343.  I knew that, I'd gone through all that in my head.

Just seeing it was like...oh.  Really.  Wow.  Yeah it is that dramatic.

It actually makes for a somewhat rude combo for someone considering DI.  The mass shift of 2 levels of DI is basically negated by this 'half-level' of Shrinking...200 pounds base mass, * 4 for the DI, basically divided by 3 for the Shrinking...so right around 270.  That's nothing unusual.  And the character's just...call it compact, rather than doll-sized.

Anyway...nothing novel, just caught me.

And for an amusing character notion...

Duplication, creating 2 duplicates, tied to Shrinking, one 3-point level.  So it's a constant-mass style...there's 1 full-size or 3 compact-size.

Happened to be watching the tail end of the Tour, so that probably triggered the notion of calling the power Tricolor.  Like the French flag.  From there, the first thought was Red, Green, Blue...but...ehh.

Nah.  Human skin, hair, and eyes are combinations of different types of melanin...there's black and brown eumelanin, and red pheomelanin.  Yeah.....

So the combined form has very rich, dark brown skin and black hair.  Split, one's gold skin and golden blond hair with green-amber eyes;  one's got super-dark, very black skin (there are a few population groups that have this) and hair, and peat-brown eyes;  and the third has light pink-red hair with very light, pink-tinted skin...the type that looks like it sunburns in seconds.  The hair here is probably the least natural-looking.

I think weird things, but I like this one. :)  

Your memory is better than mine. :)  All I remember is that Duplicate Girl *used to be* Triplicate Girl..........  Oops....

I like weird combos of impossible, supra-normal abilities and basic biology/physics...like mass conservation.  The melanin split just follows;  everyone's skin, hair, and eyes are a combo of those 3 types.  I just thought of a side effect on the recombination...figure the DNA happens to change at the genes responsible for melanin production.  Well maybe they don't *quite* recombine the same every time.... :)  

38 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Your memory is better than mine. :)  All I remember is that Duplicate Girl *used to be* Triplicate Girl..........  Oops....

I like weird combos of impossible, supra-normal abilities and basic biology/physics...like mass conservation.  The melanin split just follows;  everyone's skin, hair, and eyes are a combo of those 3 types.  I just thought of a side effect on the recombination...figure the DNA happens to change at the genes responsible for melanin production.  Well maybe they don't *quite* recombine the same every time.... :)  

You could get even weirder and have the trio not be the same apparent age, kind of like the Norns. One is a young maiden in her late teens or early twenties, another is a mature woman in her thirties or early forties, and one is around fifty or sixty in appearance but still spry.

2 hours ago, dmjalund said:

the name is Duo Damsel

<WHAPS SELF>

Yeah that was it, wasn't it?  Not like I've seen an LSH in...

Too far ago to consider, and DARN SURE to mention........................

Steve:  the 3 ages wouldn't fit *here* but it would be fun.  But it also feels like, if you're doing that, you'd be doing alternate duplicates.  At least to some degree;  maybe not that much.

EVERYTHING in comics got rebooted.  Sometimes repeatedly in short order.

It wasn't a prime factor in turning me off;  I think the really pathetic artwork that took over was the major reason.  There was less actual drawing in an entire issue than there was on a single page from back in the day.  But frequent reboots destroy anything like dramatic tension or suspension of disbelief, and that didn't help.

Names, names, names...coming up with separate names for when the dups are distinguishable...and tending right now to the mildly irreverent

If the prime is Larry...the others might be Moe and Curly.  

Then there's Alvin, Simon, and Theo, if the prime's any of those.

Huey, Dewey, and Louie

Then there's Snap, Crackle, and Pop, especially for "hero" IDs, or perhaps better, villain IDs

EDIT:  now here's one for ya, if the dups are somewhat different from each other, and especially if the prime is a blond.

Blondie, Tuco, and Angel Eyes  (for the unwashed junior heathens among us, AKA, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)