Thinkabout: WF-1 (Weapon Force 1)

steriaca

Was going over my digital copy of TPP Villain Companion 2 and the entry for EF-1 (Extreme Force-1). Knowing that the sister group TF-1 contains Piledriver a d Sledge (Tiger's version of these characters) got me thinking about a third group to reintroduce old Champion villains. Of course not all the members should be Champions old timers, but enough of them should be.

The requirements for this group: all members wield weapons of some kind. EF-1 is about elemental powers. TF-1 is about missing limbs. WF-1 is about special weapons. 

My short list of members...

1) Red Rapier: He represents the sword. He is still probably a shameless ladies man, and probably caught an AIDS like disease (if not HIV all together), and has joined for experimental medicine treatments. 

2) Master Stroke: He represents the axe. This german supervillain is in it for his quest to find a passage back to Faire. He is also kinda a good friend to Stronghammer the Dwarf (who has worked with WF-1 but hasn't decided that he wants a pediment part of the team, so he drifts in and out of it). It should be noted that once Master Stroke finds a good portal, he is going to offer the group a choice...come with him or...stay here. What? You expect me to say come with me or die?

3) Jackknife: Repersenting the knife. He is actually the psychopath stabbie stabbie guy. His blades usually have an extra kick to them. Like poisons, explosions, acid, and whatever else.

We probably need a gun guy. But I'm already pulling two characters from Enimies The International Files from this. And I don't want to pull out Baiwana from the book. Prehaps Ack Ack from Enimies For Higher? You know, the book which was written like an UNTIL dossier on all the villains. Who else? What other weapon users should be here? A pure hand to hand martial artist is an option (body as weapon).

I like themed groups myself, and I've repeatedly built villain groups around various weapon combinations, drawn from whatever source strikes my fancy, usually called "the Arsenal." Red Rapier and Master Stroke are two I haven't thought of in quite a while. I would just mention that I believe Dennis Mallonee got the rights to Red Rapier for his Heroic Publishing comic company, so you might want to look into that before publishing the group.

Since you want to bring back the classics, I'd suggest revamping the Whip from 4E Eurostar (also called Scourge in his New Millennium incarnation). For a "gun guy" you might consider Scattershot from the 4E VIPER source book. It shouldn't be too hard to adjust their histories so they aren't still tied to those groups.

Published? I'm just an idea guy myself. I only published two things in my life, and there were Digital Hero articles. One I still haven't been paied for. Which I don't mind right now....

If Tiger (owner of Tiger Paw Press) wants to do anything with this idea, he is free to do so.

...which begs the question, is there a substitute for Red Rapier?

11 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Crossbow from Dark Champions would be a good character.

I just thought about Tenderheart, another Dark Champions character  she even has a sword. But I picture her more akin to Catwoman in nature. 

9 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Crossbow from Dark Champions would be a good character.

I forget, did Crossbow get a 5E reboot?

Since the TPP series already updated Rainbow Archer, it would probably be inappropriate to use her for this proposed group, but an archer of some type is almost mandatory among comic-book weapon masters.

Since this is just for your own use, Steriaca, you could use Matachin (from Ultimate Supermage) as your sword guy instead of Red Rapier. At some point I hope to publish my 6e revision of him as part of my Sylvestri family expansion product, but doing your own rewrite shouldn't be too hard.

I also offer Sun-Saber from Shared Origins: Sky-Q, if you want someone who's more Silver Age.

Like archers, fencers seem to be a pretty well-used (or well-worn) concept.

Dean Shomshak

I really like Matachin. I updated him to 5E as part of an ad hoc group of villainous supernatural "knights," the Obsidian Table, hired by Brangomar the Shadow Queen. Other members were the Black Paladin (leader), Hell Rider, Morningstar (Steve Long's character, not Dean's), Lightning Man, Harpy (Brangomar saw her bird-woman form as too ugly to be jealous of), and Shadowdragon (not the same cultural motif, but I figured Brangomar would find that name too appealing not to include).

I told y'all I like themed teams. 😜

I kinda have a like for Tenderheart, with a few more gadgets she could be a more normal level Champions villain. I'm not worried about her not fitting.  Master Stroke is using the group as a distraction while he searches for Faerie.