The Soon Rapid Deline of The Superhero Genre

Black Widow has grossed $315M so far ($154M of that being domestic).  It hasn't opened in China, which is probably limiting worldwide grosses. All that said, it'll probably have the highest domestic gross of any of the summer releases, due to the effects of the pandemic on movie attendance.

Unlikely.  It lost nearly 70% of viewers after the opening weekend and lost over 50% the next weekend.  Word of mouth isn't great on the film, but more importantly people just aren't willing to go watch movies in theaters like they used to and stupid limited occupancy rules are still in place many places.  But worse, the streaming at home is a fraction of previous major streaming releases.  Its just not a popular movie (for several reasons, including a nearly complete lack of dramatic impact coming out after her death).

42 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

The original statement was referring to domestic gross, where there's currently only a $7M difference between the two movies.

I guess what I am trying to say is Black Widow may not make as much as f9 but it has a week maybe two weeks to close that gap if the theater owners stick to the 45 day limit that they said they would. I don't know why Chris is trying to play things down but right now until Free Guy comes out and Shang Chi after that, BW and F9 are the two movies to beat for the summer. F9 is number three for the year and BW is number five. Godzilla versus Kong is number four and I can see BW earning enough to reach that spot in the next two weeks maybe

CES