How does a Point of Light style setting/game look like?

Mr. R

Basically what it says on the title.  The game setting I am working with has such low populations in such large areas that as it stands Pop Density is 1 person / Sq Mi.  Even if I triple or quadruple it, that leaves HUGE amounts of land undeveloped.  So with that in mind I have heard of PoL settings.  But how do they work?  What are some of the buy ins?  Anything I should know before setting out?

At the risk of pointing to another game (ick!)  All of D&D 4th edition is based off the PoL concept and the DMG1 would be a good starter resource to look over.   There have also been alot of DMGuild type products on it.

That being said my understanding of PoL  (which I do like)  is this:

1:  PCs are the stars of the show.  For the most part almost no one else is strong/brave/stupid enough to leave the safetly of the lights (towns/cities) and go out into the wilds.

2: Usually there was a large kingdom that fell and the PoL pockets of civilization are all that remains and travel between them is not easy or safe.   Usually far apart and monster filled between.

3: Lots of ruins and other adventure sights are all over the place but are avoided by general populace, but having rumors and legends about them would not be uncommon.

4:  as I said, PCs are the stars.  The few NPCs of power that exist do not leave their homes and venture out much.  You might have a power mage or captain of the guard, but they will not leave the city or tower to deal with the goblin raiders... even if you think they theoretically should.  That is why PCs exisit.

This is hardly complete but just some random thoughts based off what I think of right off when PoL comes up.   Hopefully it helps you get started.

I think there are different ways you can do it.. To me POL implies civilization is focused in small pockets separated by wide stretches of wilderness. It may or may not be low density, the "points" could be teeming cities. It may or may not have a history... Wilderness could be full of ruins or just untamed. People may or may not venture out into it... The key is that it is dangerous to do so.

Some examples: the Wilderlands (judges guild), the American "wild west". Europe in the dark ages. I think traveller sci fi is points of light because you can get into backwater worlds where you have no protection except your own wits and arms. POL are settings where everyone carries a gun or sword, and there are no police to call upon.

The opposite of POL is a setting that is well settled and tamed. It need not be highly populated but the countryside is safe enough for farmers and settlers to live without defenses or danger. Then modern western world fits this description, as do extensively settled fantasy settings like Harn. 

I think the term originated from the "thousand points of light" in the first Bush presidency.