Dark Champions Horror inspiration, the SCP Movie "Overlord".

Scott Ruggels

I don't know how many folks out there are familiar with SCP (Secure, Contain, Protect) fandom out there.  starting first as creepypasta on Reddit, it has grown into all sorts of activities.  Recently they released a near professional fan film called Overlord, and i feel this could be an inspiration for a horror based, or X-Files flavored Dark Champions game.  Take a look.

Tenet was an espionage thriller that was released last year. Because of COVID, the film had a spotty theatrical release just before full lockdown reand was displayed on streaming services. Directed by Christopher Nolan of Inception fame, and the good Batman films, people expected a movie full of mind expanding concepts and unique action.  Mostly true, but heavily marred by a sound mix that obscured dialogue, and sounded muddy elsewhere. Most reviews complained about it. It’s the one film by that Director I was not eager to see. 

Yeah, Tenet seems to have been almost intentionally full of loud background noise over a lot of inaudible dialogue, so that the audience would ignore the vague, poorly explained scifi elements, in favour of just enjoying how the big, dumb, explosive action was made to work backwards and forwards. It was a sort of showcase for a few action set pieces with a cool gimmick, rather than any of Nolan's usual, plot-driven, playing with a timeline films, like the reverse story order (Memento) or the different rates that time flows in different dream levels (Inception).

• 2 months later...

Weirdly enough, I was thinking Bureau 13.

No; not because I didn't think Overlord wasn't packed full of suspense, mystery, horror---   but because every time I try to run that kind of game for one group in particular (the Brunswick group), it invariably devolves into a game of Bureau 13.  :rofl:    You can almost _see_ the entire game as a Foglio-esque cartoon, played out before your eyes....

Richard Tucholka, God rest his soul. He is gone, and we are the poorer for it. I worked on some Bureau 13 stuff, but Doug Blanchard defined the look of most of the Tri-Tac games. There was a definite gallows humor edge to that game, but having spoken to folks who played in Rich's games, as well as to Rich himself often at the old Milwaukee Gencons, that the games got pretty lethal to player characters if they weren't smart. The old Tri-Tac system itself was crunchy, and dangerous, in that post Gygaxian way. But often Bureau 13 adventures did have their moments of Laurel & Hardy events due to the die rolls.

The odd thing is that to me, Danger international, and Dark Champions have two separate "Feels" to me, with D.I having a grounded, real world flavor, with the occasional weirdness, whereas Dark Champions feels less grounded, with it's foot in the Superhero world. Doing SCP feels more like D.I. than D.C. with all the real world weapons, and many of the SCP items being otherwise mundane items being altered by the unexplainable. But  D.C will have to do, these days.

• 2 years later...

Thread necro! 

My group back in the 80's almost did a Bureau 13 DI game.  Sadly it never happened...

There's no reason you can't use DI as a supplement for the edition of your choice.  And I wrote my Low Heroic protocols for just this purpose. 

I ran a Robot Warriors short campaign in 2021 using 6th edition and essentially following RW/DI for my pregen characters, and it was every bit as fun as it was back then. 

All you Bureau 13 fans have read the novels, right?  Nick Pollotta has passed away as well, and he was probably better known for his work under the Axler and Pendleton pen names, but B13 was some of his best work, along with his debut Illegal Aliens and the B13-adjacent That Darn Squid God (which features a cameo by the Winslow from Phil Foglio's Buck Godot comic). 

Come to think of it, the climax of Squid God could probably use the Robot Warriors rules.

Edited by Rich McGee