Costume colorization help

Ninja-Bear

Ok y’all, 

I’ve got the itch to not only write up some characters but actually color them in. So since I’m not an artist, could any of you give some tips basic costume design and coloration? I am using the character silhouettes from the 2ed character sheet.  Basically I want to keep the designs simple similar to Champions 3rd Ed. cover and previous assorted books. Seriously my wife says I’m color blind so any help in that direction, as in complimentary colors is useful. I once colored a hero with a purple top and brown pants.

Thanks in advance!

I guess it depends on the character, but this website has the basics: https://govisually.com/blog/color-theory-and-color-palettes/

I just found this website, so maybe it can give you ideas. Note that you don't have to use all the colors in the palette: https://coolors.co/

Edit: Here's a better primer on color theory: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/color-theory-design

This kind of advice is usually better if we have some idea about the kind of character we’re designing for. A character like Batman or the Shadow won’t generally have the same costume as a Captain America type. 
   A rule of thumb I read once did say that green and purple are often villain colors while reds and blues were more heroic.

Have you considered looking at some of the work done on Deviant.com or the work of Storn or other Champions or Comics artists for inspiration?

4 hours ago, MITSasquatch said:

Complementary to a blue and white sky would be red orange and yellow colors with black trim. Is the character ground based or a flier?

I am using the silhouette of the guy that seems flying and his arm is outstretched. 

And I should’ve mentioned he’s a Hero. Does White and Gray go together?  I hesitate to use Blue cause to me it denotes water and White to mean comes snow to mind.

9 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I am using the silhouette of the guy that seems flying and his arm is outstretched. 

And I should’ve mentioned he’s a Hero. Does White and Gray go together?  I hesitate to use Blue cause to me it denotes water and White to mean comes snow to mind.

Possible, but it may look a little washed out. Depends on how much you want your character to stand out. Medium gray with silver trim would give a more distinctive, if monochromatic, look.

25 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Possible, but it may look a little washed out. Depends on how much you want your character to stand out. Medium gray with silver trim would give a more distinctive, if monochromatic, look.

Yeah that’s one thing too. I don’t want him washed out either.

I usually went with the simple unitard one color and then shorts, boots and gloves another.  I don’t know what to call it but I might be able to adequately do two color where the darker color on the chest comes in like a V. I think Spider-Man had this on his costume.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

If you're not a really big hurry, I'll see if I can get the wife interested in sketching up an idea.

(If you can't draw, it's good to have a brother who can and a wife who can paint.  ;)  )

Thanks for the offer but this is something I’m going to do on my own. 😁