Senses and Sense Elements: Dis/Advantaging and Adjusting

Wyrm Ouroboros

Question

Given:

6e1 p.212: Sense Modifiers do not belong to any Sense Group — they improve Senses, either individually or by Sense Group. ... Sense Modifiers are not Adders.

This series of questions functionally ignores the extras granted by Sense Groups; please do not bring them into the discussion.

Part 1: Advantages and Disadvantages.

When purchasing advantages -- Megascale comes to mind -- would the baseline detect/sense ('Detect Object', 10 pts) act as the base point value of the power, immaterial of Sense Modifiers that might be capable of enhancing the detect/sense?  Or, perhaps, would the character only be able to use the Sense Modifier(s) added into the base point value, to which the Advantage is then applied, with that Advantage?  With Disadvantages, one would likely apply a disadvantage to everything involved, but that sometimes might not be necessary.  For example:

Example 1:

'Detect Object', 10 pts: Megascale (1m = 1 km, +1): 20 active pts, 20 real pts.

Sense with Detect Object (2 pts)

Range with Detect Object (5 pts)

Microscopic with Detect Object (3 pts)

Total: 30 pts.

Example 2:

'Detect Object', 10 pts, Sense (2 pts), Range (5 pts): 17 pts, Megascale (1m = 1 km, +1): 34 pts.

Microscopic with Detect Object (3 pts)

Total: 37 pts.

I can see arguments for either case being appropriate, but I'd like to get a more official verdict, especially because there can easily be reasons to seperate the base detect/sense from Dis/Advantaged Sense Modifiers.

Part 2: Adjustment Powers and Sense Modifiers with Levels

A limited number of Sense Modifiers (Concealed, Microscopic, Rapid, and Telescopic) have open-ended levels like any other Power.  Presuming at least one level is purchased for a detect/sense, would it then be able to be amplified (or suppressed) by an Adjustment power?  With 1 level of Microscopic on his super-vision, can CapeMan's ability to see tiny objects be amplified by The Helper so that he can truly see at levels out of the reach of human sight, or is the only chance to see the Amazingly Shrunken Kids a lot of XP -- or a scanning electron microscope?

1 answer to this question

Part 1:  The normal rule is that you do not apply Advantages to Senses or Sense Modifiers (6E1 p215). I don't know what you mean by "disadvantages." From context, I thought you might mean Limitations, but your examples do not include any Limitations. If that is what you mean, then you apply Limitations last, as with any other Power.

Part 2:  Yes, subject to the rules for Adjusting Incremental Characteristics and Powers (6E1 p138).