Can I Martial Throw a vehicle?

FancyCreb

Question

There's a question with this same title, but it's for fifth edition, and while I don't think the rules on Martial Throw have meaningfully changed, there is one line of the text that makes me pause, namely 'that applies only to characters'. Now, this seems to be, contextually, about disallowing throwing things at characters, but I just want to make sure. I guess this is part of a broader question- are vehicles characters, or do they at least count as characters?

1 answer to this question

It means you can only target characters with a Martial Throw.

For example, you can Grab a manhole cover and then Throw it at Dr. Sinister or Sgt. Sneaky. However, you can't Martial Throw a manhole cover at either of them (to avoid having to Grab it first).

However, you could Martial Throw Dr. Sinister into Sgt. Sneaky (or vice-versa), assuming it worked out otherwise (they were close enough, you had STR enough, etc.)

As for the larger question about whether vehicles count as characters for this purpose, I think that needs to stay firmly in the province of a GM decision. I think there would be many cases in which special effects, situational factors, common sense, and dramatic sense would all agree that it should be possible (especially with a moving vehicle), and many cases in which all of those considerations would agree that it should not be possible.