Play by Post Teen supers Gauging Interest

ahduval

I am interested in starting a play-by-post campaign theme of teen supers, using a lite version of Champions.

Thinking of using the platform ongoingworlds.com,  unless there is a better one.

looking for players and also one or two co-gms to join me. Please reply with interest or questions.

ahduval

I'd definitely be interested in playing, or possibly pitching in with GM-ing duty, but first I'd like to pose a barrage of questions, to better understand your vision for the campaign...  😉

1.) In terms of the nuts and bolts, what version of the HERO rules will you be using, and what's the general power level for the PC's?  Are there any particular powers or archetypes you'd encourage or want to avoid (e.g.; people with mental or precognitive powers can often take the wind out of the sails during an investigation or mystery story)?

2.) What's the setting for the campaign -- are the PC's in a special academy for "gifted children", or will they be mainstreamed into a regular school?  Are they isolated from the public on a private campus, or are they in the middle of a big city?  What time period will the campaign be set in -- is this the modern day, or will it be a period piece (a la "Stranger Things")?  Do metahumans in the campaign all draw their powers from the same source (e.g.; the various X-titles generally restrict themselves to dealing with other mutants and mutant-related issues), or will you be taking the "salad bar" approach and allow mutants and magic, talent and tech, and anything else that strikes our fancy?

3.) How long have there been supers in the campaign world -- can the PC's be the offspring of established metahumans, or are people with powers something the world is still coming to terms with?  How about the tropes of four-color comics -- should the characters plan on having flashy costumes, with code names and masks to conceal their identities?

4.) How about your vision for the morality of the campaign, and the general cohesiveness of the PC's?  Can players make PC's who are delinquents or "bad influences", who might form rivalries with other PC's or try to lead the "goody two-shoes" PC's astray?  (I'm thinking of the "X-Men: Evolution" animated series, where the "bad kids" were often forced to cooperate due to some class project or somesuch, or where budding romances and unlikely friendships might lead kids from one camp to reach across the aisle or even switch sides.)  I've got an idea for a character who'd be the son of a famous supervillain; he's currently under the foster care of his father's archenemy, since no regular family could deal with him and the "foster father" hero isn't ready to write the kid off and watch him turn into just another villain...

5.) Do all the PC's need to be minors, or would you consider a concept that calls for an older hero who might be a mentor or somesuch (e.g.; an older brother or sister who already graduated from the academy, or the former student who's come back to the school during his final year at university as a student teacher, or that one janitor at the school that the kids think is cool and relatable even though he's an adult, etc.)?

6.) What would you say are your major influences or inspirations for this campaign?

I look forward to hearing your response!

Thanks for your interest. Feel free to ask even more questions.

6th edition modified for play by post: lessons I’ve learned

* no speed characteristic

* no end, no body: instead role playing results

* standard effects

I do expect combat, what superhero campaign doesn’t have combat, but should be as brief as possible, moving quickly.

powers to avoid include those indicated with a stop sign such as clairsentience and dimensional travel,

Archetype to avoid: due to technology, iron man types and gadgeteers would be difficult. Also any PCs would have to be approved. Space aliens are unknown.

I also want the PCs to be teens, with either teen dramatics and or not perfect with their powers. They might not even now all their abilities. Also, while unusual appearances are fine, they should somewhat fit into normal society.

Setting for the campaign: I love Marvel’s real world (mostly) concept. But I also love DC’s fictional cities (Gotham and especially Opal City. Therefore I made a minor change to history.

The PC’s will attend a special/secret program at a standard boarding school. The island is real (Anticosti, which is in the middle of the St. Lawrence seaway), the city is fictional. Time period is today. Salad bar approach, with the exception of the only ‘super’ tech is the team’s suits (I wanted to make sure that if one character’s concept included no defense, that they couldn’t be offed by a paperclip.)

There has been supers before, but it seems like these students are more powerful than many before. Yes costumes w/ masks and code names, although not required to bring them with them. or for the PCs to have any experience in this world.

Morality: I want the PCs to be heroes, but their personalty would be up to the player. Although lone-wolf characters should be either like Batman, with his countless allies or Wolverine(s) who seem to be always on a team or have a partner(s).,

PCs are the students, but if you help GM than you’ll be able to control any other NPC.

Sources of Inspiration are widespread: Comic-books from Marvel and DC (New Mutants, Generation X, Teen Titans, Young Justice, Starman) , Antarctic Press (Warrior Nun, Gold Digger, Ninja High School)

Non comicbook authors include Mercedes Lackey, Jim Butcher, Ben Aaronavitch, Charles Stross

plus world mythologies and folklore, SCP, and Lovecraftian

and probably more that I am forgetting.

Preview of the setting (which yes, I have used before):

The island of Anticosti is a federal district of the United States. The city is called Liberty City.

Notable features: The United Nations is headquartered in the NW part of Liberty City. The eastern part of the island is dominated by a large multi-branch military base. There are a number of rumors on what really happens on base.
The college Barnheart , can be found south of the academy, is a typical New England small liberal arts college. There are many stories on what one can find in the library and the tunnels.

University of Liberty can be found east of down-town. While the college is known for its liberal arts, the University is more known for its science and engineering departments.

The academy,college, and university have a number of agreements to share resources.

James Madison Academy
A boarding school located outside the main city, toward the middle of the island.
Co-ed, includes students from grade 8-12.
On the north side can be found the dorms and the dining commons.
The south side has the classrooms.
Between the dorms and classroom is a large library with the school auditorium, and the administrative building and the athletics building.
Further south of the classrooms , the sports-fields can be found.

Near the campus. To the north and west can be found a large municipal park, mostly wilderness, it provides the city with necessary recreational space.
Beyond the campus can be found Robert Smith memorial garden. Here can found not only a place to honor veterans, but also the important people of Liberty City’s memorials. It is known for the various architecture themes. Tours are regularly available.

• 3 weeks later...