Playing an Idol character.

Shaun_Donohue

Hello! I have had characters designed for me and played before, but I am trying to make a character myself for the first time. I am making an Idol, someone super famous and positively well known. Super hero Identity is the Idol, but has a personal secret identity that lacks confidence.  So massive presence, but only uses it in "Character.".

My question is, besides building a high presence and some striking appearance, what could I do with a charismatic character? Not wanting to intimidate. Wanting to be a very positive encouraging hero.

If it helps, you don't actually need a high PRE to be an idol.  In fact, there is a large portion of the fandom that has a difficult time separating PRE from "scariness" or or "intimidating."  That is not to say that it cant be used that way, of course.

What might help to build that idol-level recognition is a Reputation (something positive) at a reasonably high level and perhaos something a bit custom like "easily recognized" or, if you are particularly interested in the downside of game, a custom Physical Limitation / complication: "draws a crowd."  You will have to get with your GM and hammer out just how that works in the game and determine the value from there.

In the youth group I have been runnning, I gave "draws a crowd" a vakue of 5 pts (I run 2e; yoir edition may be different) as it requires that 1) there be enough people around that roughly 1 in 20 would be interested enough to draw a crowd.

2) it requires that a few of people are able to see him

3) it requires that a few of the people that can see him actually recognize him

4) it takes a bit of time for people to spread the word and build excitement

5) most people dont have time to stop and gawk, at least not suring work hours in the US.

Still, I try to make sure a handful of fans occurs at some point in every session.  Remember that this is a disadvantage: they may be in the way; villains may put them in active danger, etc.

Remember That you will have to build a personality appropriate to become an idol; very few people like a sanctimonious jerk or an arrogant mouthpiece.

I would go on, but I am on a pbone and break is nearly over.

PRE is the ability to manipulate people; it also allows you to resist manipulation.  You don’t need a high PRE to be an idol.  About all you really need is a positive reputation.  Striking Appearance is similar but different.  Depending on how widely and well known your reputation is may be cheaper than striking appearance.  A world wide 14- reputation is 3pt per level so that will be the same cost as striking appearance.  

Having a high PRE and the right interaction skills will allow you to make better use of your reputation, but is not needed.  Persuasion would be a good start, Conversation is also useful for getting information and telling when people are lying to you.  Bureaucratics would be another one to look at.  Any of the interaction sills would be useful to a charismatic character.   

You need to ask: what is this the idol of? Simply being an idol will not make things happen,  Michael Jordan is an (arguably) idol of sports and can use his fame in this arena but not as well in others. There are many great examples,  but most are limited to a small field like the above. In that field,  huge crowds will gather  but outside it you might have to work just to get noticed, no matter what your PRE happens to be. 

7 hours ago, Shaun_Donohue said:

Hello! I have had characters designed for me and played before, but I am trying to make a character myself for the first time. I am making an Idol, someone super famous and positively well known. Super hero Identity is the Idol, but has a personal secret identity that lacks confidence.  So massive presence, but only uses it in "Character.".

My question is, besides building a high presence and some striking appearance, what could I do with a charismatic character? Not wanting to intimidate. Wanting to be a very positive encouraging hero.

Someone super famous and positively well known can have any set of powers you want. Regardless of what abilities/powers you give the character, playing the character as an idol will be the challenge. A couple skills I'd suggest are Persuasion and Oratory. Your regular PRE could easily be 15 or 20  but buy +15 PRE, only to inspire/encourage others.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 9:44 AM, LoneWolf said:

Having a high PRE and the right interaction skills will allow you to make better use of your reputation, but is not needed.  Persuasion would be a good start, Conversation is also useful for getting information and telling when people are lying to you.  Bureaucratics would be another one to look at.  Any of the interaction sills would be useful to a charismatic character.   

You forgot CHARM and ACTING

On 9/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, Asperion said:

You need to ask: what is this the idol of? Simply being an idol will not make things happen,  Michael Jordan is an (arguably) idol of sports and can use his fame in this arena but not as well in others. There are many great examples,  but most are limited to a small field like the above. In that field,  huge crowds will gather  but outside it you might have to work just to get noticed, no matter what your PRE happens to be. 

Part of Michael Jordan’s ability/curse about gathering a crowd is based in Champion’s terms as Unusual Looks.  The man is nearly seven feet tall!  It makes it tough to blend in with the crowd.  Even if he weren’t famous he wouldn’t be able to walk through a mall or supermarket without drawing stares. 

You could take some Aid powers as "Encouragement Abilities" and tie them to Presence. Maybe something like Encouraging Word: Aid OCV (Requires PRE check), or Look Out!: Aid DCV (Requires PRE check). Or maybe some Healing like Pep Talk: Healing (Requires Charm check).

Probably going to want to invest in some skills to aid in playing the 'face' role. Acting helps, Conversation, Oratory and others might also be valuable. 

Crowd control powers can serve to help to convey the injured to safety or keep innocent bystanders clear from danger. Alternately, you can build powers based on the power of the people. If you can rally the crowd, then you can harness their belief to bolster your powers and defeat evil with the Power Of Love (tm) or Friendship or whatever theme you're aiming for. 

There is a long tradition of heroes of various genres needing the support of the crowd in order to summon the strength to defeat their foes in live shows, so extending this to an idol character seems like a natural fit.