Back To School: The September 2021 Superdraft

Pariah

"You see why I brought my daughter to you, great Merlin?" The sheriff seemed an honest enough enforcer of the King's Law, a tad stern and perhaps prone to narrow views. He clearly did not wish to be here, did not like the idea of magic. No, it was desperation and a father's love that brought him here, "I've taken her to numerous priests! She is clearly possessed."

Merlin raised a bushy brow "Is this true, girl?"

The young maiden, normally shy, gathered her courage, but her eyes were wide and worried, "I am haunted by ghosts alive as you and me, I see them watching, always watching. I do not know if they enjoy my suffering, or seek to cheer me on," She protested, "But I know this world entertains them.  I hear them, whispering" The maiden rubbed at her shoulders as if to warm them, "I see worlds that float next to ours where I am in a world of such wonders and horrors. Where Magic is not needed to speak across great seas, where men ride the winds in great steel birds that swallow them whole then release them again. They speak beyond the wall."

Merlin raised a brow, and then asked, "But these voices, these worlds, take no action?"

"A demoness breaks through, me lord," The Sherrif declared before the Maiden could answer, "And hunts my daughter most direct. She has evaded it before, but I have seen the emerald hell harlot with mine own eyes. Green as envy, savage as sin, and shameless. She has appeared in too many places where my daughter frequents for me to think it coincidence. She must be after me daughter's soul. Perhaps YOU can protect her?"

The modest maiden blushed scarlet, behind her father, "She is no demon I think, more of a .. jade giantess."

"Have you  met her?" Merlin made a motion to quiet the father so the daughter could talk further.

The girl delayed answer until at last she said softly, "No, we... have not met I think." She was hiding something from her father, and with the power inside of her, Merlin could guess what. Possessed indeed, but not by any demon.

"Most curious," Merlin's eyes met the Maiden's firmly, so she would know he knew of her evasion, but also reassuring that her secret would be kept for now, "I do not think the priests have failed in their tasks, Sheriff. Your daughter has.. visions, of a sort. And perhaps other gifts. I cannot banish this gift, but I might have something to teach her so she is not overwhelmed. I wish her to come to my garden"

"Garden?" The Sheriff looked confused "Why would gardening be of help?"

"I grow minds and talent and magic there," Merlin told him, "She would be a student," Then he looked at the maiden again, "What say YOU, Jennifer, daughter of Sheriff Walters?"

For a moment, Jennifer looked ready to shrink but then she thought of something "Would, would I learn of law as well as magic? It has always been an interest of mine."

"I keep telling the girl, no woman can be a judge or barrister" the Sherriff shakes his head. THIS does not scare him, merely frustrate him.

"Yes," Merlin ignored the Sherriff "We do have classes in the laws and codes of the Kingdom. And  while I cannot promise you any title, I can promise you will know as much as any who argue before court if you put in the work."

"Then, I shall be your pupil, great wizard," She gave a timid curtsey, "And my thanks." This world felt so wrong, a face, a whimsical tale that never was. It was easy to resent that it held her back, but she never had the courage to make great complaint. Now, she had found not just help for her condition, but opportunity to champion civilized justice? Oh yes, Saint Mary, Please!

"Welcome then, Jennifer Walters," Merlin said, and before the Sheriff could protest, they were gone, reappearing in a great garden with no sun but much light, "Welcome to Merlin's Circle"

f86fe9c89650a5ac34776f188f1d17a8.jpg
Mentor Pick: Merlin, Wizard of Arthurian Legend

daakmxo-da5ddcfc-ba2e-43de-953e-4c362114
Teacher's Pet: Jennifer Walters (Who in other worlds is known as the She Hulk, or as Le Fay knew her "The Jade Giantess") with 4th wall breaking intact err visions

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

...and there's my first snipe. Well played.

No idea you lusted after her (for this draft, ahem) but she is a prominent enough character that I realized she had a large cross-section for snipage.  So, I grabbed her early.  I have a couple more targets on my draft who I think are also high-risk for sniping.

Believe it or not, this whole concept of mine fell together in less than 15 minutes once I started thinking about it, which wasn't until after I saw the first couple of picks.

"The boy is trouble, Master Merlin! Rumor has it , he is a Kinslayer!"

"Never the less, magic is in his blood and bone, and rumor also has it his kin was... quite the monster"

"With his disregard for rules and thinking he knows better , I've no doubt this one will be a monster himself"

"It wouldn't be the first monster in my garden, sir. I'll take young Harold."

"He insists on being called Harry. Impudent youth!"

Troublemaker: Harry Dresden

e14c80d0d4afea6c361eae5ff27d145a.jpg

Darkness has been a common component of the town of Riverdale for many years.  Bizarre happenings were the norm, taking a kindly, charming town filled with normal, fun-loving teens and changing it into a den of depravity, a town of trouble...all beneath the surface.  To an outsider, hell, to many in the city itself, nothing seems to be out of order.  The façade covering the twisted and the debauch.  

Dale Cooper had seen a town like Riverdale before, but that was in another life.  His days of investigation and law enforcement had come to an end several years ago, but once one has the taste of authority, it is difficult to simply slide into retirement.  So when Riverdale called to him is a dream, Dale Cooper knew that he had to relocate.  He had only hoped that there would be good coffee in the town.

Sadly, it was too sweet.  Sorghum was in everything.  It was a sacrifice that he had to make.   He could sense the darkness the minute he stepped foot in Riverdale.  What exactly he was to do here, he did not know, but he knew everything would come clear eventually.  Patience was always one of his strengths.

It was apparent where the heart of the town was found, thus where the powerful darkness emanated from... Riverdale High.  He knew that he had to be on the inside.  

Vice Principal.  It was as if fate was calling to him.  He should not have been qualified for the position, yet he found himself as the only candidate, his background in the FBI appealing for the school board, a fact that should have been a red flag to anyone watching.  In his office, Dale Cooper settled in, prepared for whatever the fates had in store for him.

"Oh Dale," said a melodic voice.  Dale though this man should have been a singer.  He stood, exited his office to see the man before him.  Riverdale High's principal.  

"You called, Principal Jareth?" asked Dale.  

Antagonist:  Jareth, the Goblin King (Labyrinth)

Amazon.com : Goblin King Jareth from The Labyrinth Sitting On Throne David  Bowie Low Profile Thin Mouse Pad Mousepad : Office Products