Hero Designer Question

Nearcron

The pool points are REAL points, ergo after all limitations or multiple instances.

What you get to do is to put smaller points in.  Let's say the VPP is Blasts and Flashes...always one I like.  

Control cost:  let's go with 10d6 with 1/2 END, or 62 points.    The base cost for this is 31 points, but you get to apply VPP-only modifiers...some will be advantages like 1/2 phase to switch, while you can apply a Limited Powers type of limitation (I use Custom Modifier, the output is cleaner).  You can also apply any limitations that will ALWAYS be applied to the power, as a Common Modifier.  That's the difference between those two.  The VPP-only mods describe the VPP, so generally, you want "what power types can I use" and the flexibility and ease of modification adjustments.  The Common Modifiers are modifiers that will be applied to ALL the powers.  Both of these affect the control cost.

The pool cost...can't say just yet.  Its size is totally unrelated to the control cost.  Say you plan to have Beam and Limited Range...because the ranges are pretty insane.  That's a 1/2 limit on a 62 point power...so the pool cost would be 41.

Alternately, you can make the pool cost larger, so you can define, say, an offense, a defense, and a movement.  Odds are, tho, you'll lose at least some of your Limited Powers modifier.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The pool points are REAL points, ergo after all limitations or multiple instances.

What you get to do is to put smaller points in.  Let's say the VPP is Blasts and Flashes...always one I like.  

Control cost:  let's go with 10d6 with 1/2 END, or 62 points.    The base cost for this is 31 points, but you get to apply VPP-only modifiers...some will be advantages like 1/2 phase to switch, while you can apply a Limited Powers type of limitation (I use Custom Modifier, the output is cleaner).  You can also apply any limitations that will ALWAYS be applied to the power, as a Common Modifier.  That's the difference between those two.  The VPP-only mods describe the VPP, so generally, you want "what power types can I use" and the flexibility and ease of modification adjustments.  The Common Modifiers are modifiers that will be applied to ALL the powers.  Both of these affect the control cost.

The pool cost...can't say just yet.  Its size is totally unrelated to the control cost.  Say you plan to have Beam and Limited Range...because the ranges are pretty insane.  That's a 1/2 limit on a 62 point power...so the pool cost would be 41.

Alternately, you can make the pool cost larger, so you can define, say, an offense, a defense, and a movement.  Odds are, tho, you'll lose at least some of your Limited Powers modifier.

That I get, its that nothing I try modifies the real cost, I know the imputed value is the active points but nothing is reducing the active pool of the reserve

Are you building a 5E character or a 6E character?

In 5E, pool size and control cost are coupled.  I actually don't build VPPs in 5E that often because of this rigidity.  (And with ECs they're less important.)

In 6E, just put in fewer points for the pool size.  Recognize it IS a Real Cost, and that's AFTER every possible form of adjustment has been applied.  Thus it's irreducible.