first mission

Mark Rand

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

"A couple of mermaids helped me with a water rescue," Batgirl says as she powers up the Batboat and flips on the marine band and weather radios.  "Ready?"

"As ready as I can be. I'm sure a gender changing magical girl is in the top 25. Nice to know there are stranger things out there which are fighting for goodness and the light."

"Here we go," Batgirl says as she closes the cockpit and slowly accelerates.  "The harbor is a no-wake zone." 

The weather radio announcer mentions wind speeds of 10-miles-per-hour and wave heights of 2 to 4 feet. 

"I'm seeing scattered white horses," Batgirl says.  "That's a term for breaking waves." 

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

"I never was into sailing. I am a rather decent dancer. I also am a walking encyclopedia of Japanese pop culture." She sighs. "Take it however you safely can. Your the one with boating knowledge."

"I took a boating safety course," Batgirl admits.  "I've also studied charts of Gotham Harbor and the surrounding area.  Of course, in high school, I surfed at Gotham Point during the summer.  I still do from time to time.  When you're into that, you should take time to learn about the weather."

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

"I took a boating safety course," Batgirl admits.  "I've also studied charts of Gotham Harbor and the surrounding area.  Of course, in high school, I surfed at Gotham Point during the summer.  I still do from time to time.  When you're into that, you should take time to learn about the weather."

"Point taken."

The Batmobile raced thru the blackness.  It’s specially tuned headlights unseeable to outsiders, but from behind the matching windshield they illuminated the night. The silence inside the speeding car was only broken by the hum of the powerful motor and occasional reports from the Police broadcasts coming from the speakers.

The young man in the passenger seat finally had to speak.  So did you have some specific plan in mind or is this just a stake-out and surveillance situation.  I mean I don’t mind putting in the work, but I do need to be back home before my Mother gets back from the lab.   She’s supposed to be there late tonight working on a test run or something and while being able to fly up to my bedroom window while invisible does help with the whole sneaking back in part...I DO need to be there if she opens my door to check on me. 

OK then.   My Fath- uh, somebody who taught me used to tell me about stake-outs. The best ways to blend in, the need for stillness. He used to say it was a lot like hunting. The way you have to let the forest settle back around you while you waited for the quarry to come to you.

The young man turned his head away to look out his window.  I’m hoping to learn that kind of thing from you. That and the other things I’m gonna need to know to try and make a difference here.  I get that your not the most talkative of people and I’m not expecting us to be best buddies, but if your expecting me to just be some unquestioning soldier in your war than we’re both going to be disappointed.  
 I’ve just heard some things about how you work and I wanted to get things straight right from the start...sir.

No she doesn’t.  Even though they’ve been separated for years my father’s being killed hit her hard. She’s torn as it is wanting to make sure I’m safe here in the city with her and needing to continue her work. I don’t think she could handle this “night job” of mine very well. 
   I love her and she trusts me and I feel like I’m betraying her by going behind her back like this. But I’ve been given this opportunity to do some good in the world. To be the kind of man my father was.  He gave his life in a shootout with a crew of human traffickers. He died so that those women and the ones who would have come after could be free.
  Now some aliens hand me this suit and suddenly I’m facing the same kind of choices he made.  He couldn’t be with the woman he loved because what he did scared her so much.  I can’t put her though that. But I can’t stop doing this either.  That’s why I want to learn everything you have to teach.  The better I can be, the longer I can go before she’ll know.

Aboard the Batboat, Batgirl says, "It isn't too bad out.  If necessary, I'll turn the Batboat into the Batsub."

Over the marine radio comes, "Gotham Harbor Lighthouse to Batboat.  I have you on visual.  Come on in.  Over."

"Figures," Batgirl says.  She picks up the microphone and says, "Batboat copies, Gotham Harbor Lighthouse.  Thank you.  Over."

"You're welcome, Batboat.  Gotham Harbor Lighthouse out."

"Batboat out."  She hangs up the microphone and adds to Lady Heart, "In high school, Sara and I surfed together."

(OCC: Gotham Point was a location in the 1966 Batman TV series episode Surf's Up! Joker's Under!  Although Barbara Gordon was at the beach there, nothing was said about her being a surfer.)

"Some leads," Batgirl says.  "She may have an idea who could've pulled it off or what happened to the diamonds.  Don't forget, burglaries are common in Gotham City.  We have everything from some punk breaking into an empty house to get something they can fence for drug money to highly sophisticated burglaries."

They head up the stairs to the Cape Cod-style house with the tower, weather instruments, foghorn, and antennas sticking out of the roof.  As they arrive, the door opens.  Sara Matthews, the lighthouse and Detective Renee Montoya  are standing there.  Both are dressed like cat burglars, but unmasked.

"Come on in," Sara says.

"I always wondered what it was like to be a cat burglar," Renee admits.  "Sara was going to let me pretend to be one."

"I secreted play money and plastic jewelry in the room Renee was going to prowl in," Sara adds.

28 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

They head up the stairs to the Cape Cod-style house with the tower, weather instruments, foghorn, and antennas sticking out of the roof.  As they arrive, the door opens.  Sara Matthews, the lighthouse and Detective Renee Montoya  are standing there.  Both are dressed like cat burglars, but unmasked.

"Come on in," Sara says.

"I always wondered what it was like to be a cat burglar," Renee admits.  "Sara was going to let me pretend to be one."

"I secreted play money and plastic jewelry in the room Renee was going to prowl in," Sara adds.

"Intresting. So someone wants to play Fujiko Hime from Lupin the 3rd?" Lady Heart chuckled a bit. "Sorry. I'm Lady Heart, and of course you both recognize the Detective Daredevil Doll Batgirl. Humm...wonder what nicknames they'll give me after a while."

"So, what brings you two here?" Sara asked.

"The Vanlandingham burglary," Batgirl replies.  "It was quite sophisticated, like you used to pull.  Any ideas?"

"Probably didn't happened last night," Sara replies.  "We had near gale force winds here.  Of course, it may've been less windy in the city."

"The burglar or burglars had plenty of time to get the diamonds out of state," Detective Montoya says.  "New York, Delaware, and Pennsylvania are within easy driving reach."

"Gale force winds make walking difficult if you're going against them," Batgirl tells Lady Heart.  She then looks at Sara and asks, "Any idea who, besides you, could've pulled it off?"

"Katherine Avery," Sara replies.  "She's currently the 3 to 11 PM tender of the Sprang Bridge.  Since it carries both GTA Rail service and the Aparo Expressway, it's a lift-type drawbridge.  Of course, both she and Christina Valentine, the 7 AM to 3 PM tender, live in the drawbridge tender's house and neither are sound sleepers."

"Why not?" Batgirl asks.

"There's always some fool boater who will want the bridge raised when it's locked down either late at night or during morning or evening rush hour," Sara replies.  "It gets worse when you realize that there are eight drawbridges on the Sprang River, four alone connecting to Arkham Island, and nine more on the Finger River, one of which is a lift bridge."

(OCC: GTA Rail is the Gotham Transit Authority commuter rail service)