first mission

Mark Rand

Oh, I thought there might be something more scientific about it.  I guess it would be embarrassing if we let Robin’s house get broken into....even if nobody ever knows.   (a long pause)  Am I overthinking things too much?  I just kind of figured everything the Batman did had a very particular reason.

In that case why don’t you pick the most likely target and drop me there.  I’ll cloak up and keep watch for as long as I can while you’re on patrol and before I leave I can set up whatever surveillance gizmos you have here.

Lady Heart sighed. "What's the patrol pattern for tonight then?" S/he hoped that Batgirl could give him some suggestions on patrolling. Or Yuri showing up in one of her animal forms. A lung dragon would be helpful, even if she is forbidden to use her own dragon form on Earth by the Jade Emperor. 

Batgirl radios Batman, "Sara thought that the diamonds could be out of state by now and that the burglary probably didn't happen last night.  We're returning to the Batcave to get my Batcycle before visiting Katherine at the Sprang Bridge tender's house.  After that, I'm going to patrol the Diamond District."

"Good plan," Batman says.  "The sea bat is the name of a deep submergence vehicle."

"Understood," Batgirl responds.  "Batgirl clear."

"Batman clear."

Heading for the Batcave, Batgirl says, "A drawbridge is used when the clearance between the water and the lowest part of the bridge is 45-feet or less.  Most in Gotham City are two-leaf bascule-type drawbridges.  Lift-type drawbridges are used when they have either railroad tracks or are multi-level drawbridges."

In the Batcave, the Batboat is docked and Batgirl heads upstairs to get her motorcycle.

14 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

Heading for the Batcave, Batgirl says, "A drawbridge is used when the clearance between the water and the lowest part of the bridge is 45-feet or less.  Most in Gotham City are two-leaf bascule-type drawbridges.  Lift-type drawbridges are used when they have either railroad tracks or are multi-level drawbridges."

In the Batcave, the Batboat is docked and Batgirl heads upstairs to get her motorcycle.

Lady Heart floated next to Batgirl. "I don't remember ever seeing the Batgirl Cycle having a sidecar."

"Good," Batgirl says.  You arrive at the bridge tender's house, which is on the south side of the bridge.  Both the Aparo Expressway and the GTARail tracks are visible.  Batgirl knocks on the door.

"Yes?" comes a female voice.

"Christina, it's Batgirl.  Can Lady Heart and I come in?  We need to talk to Katherine."

"Be right there," Christina says.

"I've been here before," Batgirl tells Lady Heart.

"You're right," Batgirl says.

Christina, a blonde in black sweats, opens the door and says, "Come on in.  Katherine's up in the control room.  I'll take you there, then, I can get back to my bunk and Snowy."

"Like about 40% of adults, Christina sleeps with a teddy bear," Batgirl explains.

"My childhood friend," Christina says.  "Follow me."  As everyone climbs the stairs, Christina says, "Don't be surprised by Katherine's appearance.  A lot of drawbridge operators love the cat burglar look.  I wear it all of the time."

"Katherine was one," Batgirl says.

"I know," Christine says.  "That's all in her past."

"Humm...very Honey West-ish. I can assume the fact that Catwoman exists and she is a rather grey criminal has inspired lots of women to follow her fashion wise. I kinda prefer EGL myself."

(EGL - Elegant Gothic Lolita.  A style of fashion mimicking Victorian/Edwardian/Rococo fashion of the past, toaning down sex appeal to a more cute look.)

"Of course, it all comes with the dress..."

"I see," Christina says.  "Unlike Honey West, who was never masked, Katherine and I usually wear rolled up black ski masks with rolled up black stocking masks under them."  There is a bit of a rumble from outside.  "GTARail commuter train," Christina explains as they reach the control room.  "Katherine, we have company."

"So I noticed," Katherine says.  "I'll pass you the clipboard and pen so that you can sign the log sheet," she adds as Christina leaves.  "So, who got burglarized?"

"The Vanlandingham estate," Batgirl says.  "We talked to Sara Matthews.  She didn't think it happened last night."

"No surprise," Katherine says as she passes the clipboard and pen to Batgirl, who signs it.  "Last night was windy.  I could even hear it."

"Interesting," Batgirl says.

"Oh, yeah," Katherine says.  "Up here you can hear it howl."  She pauses then says, "The monitors above show me what's going on the expressway side.  Lights show me what the trains are doing on the two parallel tracks.  Once a train enters our area, or block, barriers go down across the roads and shift a bit on the board."  The lights shift.  "We have trains coming from both directions."

"I could ask how often you had to inform the authority about amorous couples with a flair for the dramatic and a coil of rope around the tracks, but I guess in this city it wouldn't be to odd or rare. A more telling question is, did you have any incidents which mess up the traffic flow recently? Someone could schedule something to make their crimes easier by disrupting car, train, or boat traffic."

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

"I could ask how often you had to inform the authority about amorous couples with a flair for the dramatic and a coil of rope around the tracks, but I guess in this city it wouldn't be to odd or rare. A more telling question is, did you have any incidents which mess up the traffic flow recently? Someone could schedule something to make their crimes easier by disrupting car, train, or boat traffic."

"We occasionally get people trying crazy stuff," Katherine replies.  "If we see them, we get on the PA system and tell them either that we can see them or that they're on television.  Fortunately, nobody's messed up traffic flow recently.  However, we might.  There's a boat approaching at high speed and kicking up a wake.  He may not know that he's in a no-wake zone."

Batgirl picks up a pair of binoculars, looks at the boat, and says, "It's a large cabin cruiser.  He's flying a Rogers Yacht Basin burgee."

"Local then," Katherine says.  "He should know the rules."

"Southern Belle to Sprang Bridge.  Over," comes over the radio.

Katherine writes in the log, then picks up the microphone.  "Sprang Bridge receiving, Southern Belle.  Please switch to channel one seven.  Over."

Katherine adjusts her radio.  "Sprang Bridge, open immediately.  I'm coming in, NOW.  over."

"Negative, Southern Belle.  We have trains on the bridge.  Also, please slow your ship.  This is a no wake zone.  Over."

"He's not slowing," Batgirl, who is watching him with binoculars, says.

"No wake zone speed is five miles per hour," Katherine says as she looks at various monitors, then starts flipping switches.  "The bridge roadway deck is clear.  I'm going to raise the bridge once the train tracks are clear."

"Our clearance is 42-feet," Batgirl says, looking at a monitor.  "What's his?"

"Let's find out," Katherine says, picking up the microphone.  "Southern Belle, this is Sprang Bridge.  What's your clearance?  Mine is 42-feet.  Over."

"He should know it," Batgirl tells Lady Heart.  "It's in his boat's manual."

"I have 44-feet.  Over."

2 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

"No wake zone speed is five miles per hour," Katherine says as she looks at various monitors, then starts flipping switches.  "The bridge roadway deck is clear.  I'm going to raise the bridge once the train tracks are clear."

"Our clearance is 42-feet," Batgirl says, looking at a monitor.  "What's his?"

"Let's find out," Katherine says, picking up the microphone.  "Southern Belle, this is Sprang Bridge.  What's your clearance?  Mine is 42-feet.  Over."

"He should know it," Batgirl tells Lady Heart.  "It's in his boat's manual."

"I have 44-feet.  Over."

"He's not going to make it. What can we do?"