Looking for Character creation help 5E not 6th: Dark Mysterio

Strand

Sometime soon our D&D game will be winding up and the GM will be running a 350pt Champions game. Most of us are well versed in this. He is running this for his wife (He has been running Champions since the 90s).

The game is set in 60s or early 70s. I have created a character name and background. I like to make crazy characters and this one is no exception. Dark Mysterio is a character from a bad 40's detective novel where they made a single book or they just burned all but one. It was just that bad. An ailing hero or villain comes alone and finds this one book and touches it and draws out this main character. The powers are combined with the Detective of the book. Mysterio, in the book, talks just like in a book: (if you read it, he says it)

I'm going for Shadow powers. The character look is kind of like the typical pulp detective novel from the 40s. They have that hat pulled low and you can't see the face. Shadows. 

I have no real solid ideas. So I hope someone can come up with something.

I have looked through the list of 5e downloads. Some were interesting but were not what I was looking for.  Thanks

12 hours ago, assault said:

Pulp heroes tended to use guns, but that's optional.

I'd consider a martial artist (brawler) with shadow/stealth powers. Darkness, invisibility, teleport - that kind of thing. He turns up unexpectedly.

Make him fairly tough - not a glass cannon, and he should be viable.

I was considering the Teleport (uses a cloak as gestures and must be in shadows), also I was thinking of HA attacks but was too expensive at least I thought. I've never built a Brick before. So a Shadow/Stealth/Martial Arts Brick sounds interesting. Thanks

11 hours ago, dialNforNinja said:

As a detective with shadow powers, you have no excuse if you do not include at least a couple meters of Stretching and call it "Long Arm of the Law." You know you want to.

I love the puns, but I pictured him as the "no police powers" detective. Also that probably comes from a well written book and this detective comes from a horrible book that makes every trash novel look fantastic. Never the less, Stretching as "long arm of the law is possible. Thanks.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

Prehaps a low powered Energy Blast coming from a only looking like a focus gun. It shoots "shadow energy" which only looks like unlimited never needs to reload bullets.

... so are you suggesting an actual gun that's just covered in shadows (for maybe a negative PER modifier to enemies trying to see details of it or where he's aiming, or that it's been drawn at all if he's in shadow) or a shadow FX Energy Blast with "looks like he's holding a gun" and "sounds like a gun" as Obvious visible effects? Both sound like they'd fit the concept. Well, an RKA vs. rED, anyway.

1 hour ago, dialNforNinja said:

... so are you suggesting an actual gun that's just covered in shadows (for maybe a negative PER modifier to enemies trying to see details of it or where he's aiming, or that it's been drawn at all if he's in shadow) or a shadow FX Energy Blast with "looks like he's holding a gun" and "sounds like a gun" as Obvious visible effects? Both sound like they'd fit the concept. Well, an RKA vs. rED, anyway.

Either work. I was thinking of it being a "gun", as a badly written noir detective would always have a gun on him, even if the writer doesn't go on to describe it other than "a gun". The writer wouldn't know or care about how many bullets it would hold. I see it as a three slot Multipower (energy blast, range killing attack, and a Hand-to-hand attack with a pistol whip special effect). He can be disarmed (the disarmed gun is always empty), but he can always pull out another gun.

On 9/15/2021 at 3:21 PM, steriaca said:

Either work. I was thinking of it being a "gun", as a badly written noir detective would always have a gun on him, even if the writer doesn't go on to describe it other than "a gun". The writer wouldn't know or care about how many bullets it would hold. I see it as a three slot Multipower (energy blast, range killing attack, and a Hand-to-hand attack with a pistol whip special effect). He can be disarmed (the disarmed gun is always empty), but he can always pull out another gun.

I like this idea. The idea that the character is primarily hand to hand but then there are those fliers and he pulls out this gun to take pot shots. I don't mind it being ineffective. After all, he was a bad detective novel. :D