What adventuring is there for the Ravenswood students?

AlgaeNymph

56 minutes ago, AlgaeNymph said:

What are TV versions like?  The only teen show I've watched was Daria.

Depends on the show and year.

Smallville

Dawson's Creek

many CW shows.

Buffy

The list can go forever since teenaged angst is a teen TV staple.

For myself, from 7th to graduation I went to a school that averaged 19 or 20 graduates a year.  My class was HUGE with 23 :nonp:

So I really didn't experience any of the school drama I hear people talk about. 

1 hour ago, Spence said:

Depends on the show and year.

Smallville

Dawson's Creek

many CW shows.

Buffy

I'm weirdly into Teen drama shows.  The one I'm enjoying at the moment is "Never Have I Ever", the story of a Hindu Indian girl going to highschool in California.  Narrated by John McEnroe as himself, who keeps comparing her high school drama to his rather colorful professional tennis career.  It weirdly captures the drama of teen age life.

Not TV, but I recall a comment on The Hunger Games - how would people really go for such a structure?  Well, perhaps not realistic, but very in tune with the teen mindset where any small issue feels like a matter of life and death.  "My hairstyle is wrong - my life is over!"

I used to run Teen Champions at Cons.  I did a lot of summer movie style games.  The kaiju game with Sharkoctopus.  The Jason Vorhees game.  The Christmas theme game with Krampus.  A lot of teen horror movies turn into great combat fodder, especially when mixed together (imagine fighting Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, deadites/zombies, and Edward Cullen! XD )

37 minutes ago, dsatow said:

I used to run Teen Champions at Cons

I ran Champs at cons with the animated Teen Titans a few times. 

The game actually attracted more adults than kids and was actually pretty good, though there was no time for angsty stuff, it was straight up Teen Titans battling villainy.

• 4 weeks later...

Class was very good, more Torchwood (minus the sex) than Dr. Who.   I was very surprised how long it took for someone to mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The entire underlying them of the show for all but the final few seasons was to turn real world teen situations into monsters.  In some examples from the first season. The idea of a mother trying to relive her glory days through her daughter becomes a witch slowly switching over her daughters body from her own so that she can once again be head cheerleader and not make the mistakes of her past. An abusive boyfriend becomes a Jekyll & Hyde monster. Steroid abuse in athletes becomes a swim coach dosing the players with a formula that turns them into the creature from the Black Lagoon.

The show also went into the whole secret ID thing and what happens when “normals” find out.  How some have it within them to be an assistance and others are either terrified or in a twisted way attracted to the lifestyle.

Despite the facts about Joss Whedon’s behavior behind the scenes coming to light. He wrote and ran one hell of a show.