How is your Champions play in the last 18 months(Mar 2020-Sept 2021)?

dsatow

How is your Champions play in the last 18 months(Mar 2020-Sept 2021)?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How is your Champions play in the last 18 months?

• Been doing a lot of online play even when restrictions were lifted to allow meet up play. (or I only play online for other reasons)
    • Been doing mostly online games and switched to meet up when restriction allowed,
    • Didn't play until restrictions were eased enough to allow meet ups.
    • Met up anyways despite restrictions.
    • Was playing (online or with restrictions) but it sort of fizzled.
    • Haven't been playing.

PLEASE NOTE: This topic isn't whether you support vaccination, masks, etc.  Its just about how the current environment is affecting your HERO gaming.  Please refrain from such conversations pro or con.

My game kind of fizzled as one of the core players moved back to the east coast and kind of isolated himself for various reasons (not all reasons due to the pandemic).

Limited to Online at the moment, as I have no car, and am living in the hinterlands of Northern California, now.  I am planning on running an FH Game using TTS, on Saturdays. For now, though I am in a couple of D&D 5e games, so I am gaming regularly. This has also included Mongoose Traveller, and some Savage Worlds way back at the beginning, but there is not much knowledge of HERO among the younger gaming set, or the Older Europeans on Roll 20.net. I am trying to rectify that situation.

Well, current recommendation is still to wear masks indoors regardless of vaccination status.  So while this is not technically a "restriction," I don't want to wear a mask during play, and I do want to follow the recommendation, so I won't return to meet-up play until that recommendation changes.  After it changes, I will be doing a mix of online and face-to-face, but for now, it's still all online.

My group games weekly.  It is a major de-stressor for us all and we all feel bad if we go a couple weeks without getting together.

When the Covid restrictions started we moved online.  There were some growing pains and we switched providers a couple times looking for a good one but we settled in & kept our weekly games more or less on schedule.

Since we all got vaccinated and our local government is OK with vaxxed people meeting we have been back to in-person.

Even without the COVID-19 restrictions in place, my Champions playing was limited to the two major game conventions held here in Omaha, NE. They are Nuke-Con in the fall and PretzCon in the spring. While many RPGers I met enjoyed Champions and Hero System in general, none (myself included) had a strong desire to meet to play on a regular basis (e.g. monthly). Based on their feedback and my own reflections from playing Champions since third edition in the late 1980s, the rules-heavy nature was definitely a factor, especially when trying to recruit new players. Right now I haven't been playing and been simply updating 6th Edition write-ups.

ICONS is a fun, rules-light superhero RPG that I also used, which was okay for the conventions, especially for brand-new players, but after running a campaign for several months back in 2019, its limitations emerged.

I guess that's why I'm looking for another rules-light superhero RPG system and posted questions about Wearing the Cape RPG that uses the FATE system as a possible alternative to Champions.

On 9/29/2021 at 1:21 PM, Jhamin said:

My group games weekly.  It is a major de-stressor for us all and we all feel bad if we go a couple weeks without getting together.

When the Covid restrictions started we moved online.  There were some growing pains and we switched providers a couple times looking for a good one but we settled in & kept our weekly games more or less on schedule.

Since we all got vaccinated and our local government is OK with vaxxed people meeting we have been back to in-person.

This is pretty much exactly how we've done things in both gaming groups I'm in (including switching online platforms trying to get one that worked well for us).  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hermit said:

I haven't played a champions game with my group in years. :( Even before Covid. Did a bit of RP with a friend and that was nice but not the same

I'm right there with you, Hermit. My HERO GM, aka The Doctor here on these boards, moved out of state years ago. Since he and I were the HERO and Supers part of our group, things just dissolved when he left. 

Been playing a Play By Email game since before the pandemic started and that's the only play I've had of Champions in...I don't know how long. Luckily it has continued unabated by the pandemic and allows for players from all over to participate. In fact my own weekly homegames moved to online via Table Top Simulator and has allowed friends who moved away to rejoin the group for the first time in years. Honestly, as much as I enjoy face to face, I am probably going to stick with online for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah the epidemic really kicked the legs out from under gaming, and never knowing from month to month what the heck the rules are going to be on how to gather doesn't help build any kind of coherent calendar or campaign.

I have worried about the “rules” on how to gather for over a year.

GMing an FH PBP on a discord with two other people, but am planning to run, sometime after the new year for a larger group on Tabletop Simulator, a version of my old 90's campaign>

Online is the only option right now as I don't have a car, and Now I have moved away from Los Angeles and am living in a fairly rural area of Northern California (Wine Country), so face to face, is not an option, Being California, all of the large metropolitan areas, other than San Diego, are still under a mask mandate, and have caps on gathering size for indoors, and there is talk about implementing NY Style Vaccine passports. This means no conventions in the foreseeable future, and as such Online is my only option for now.

We have not played at all since the end of 2019 (late Fall). We had our break for the coming holidays a bit early due to the possibility my wife would need major surgery (thankfully, she ended up not needed the surgery). Was ready to pick up the campaign in February of 2020, but with news of Covid-19 beginning to show up in the States, I decided not to go forward with scheduling a game. Hopefully once we are able to gather again, my players will have an interest in returning to the campaign, which has been running continuously since 1993. It was hard to stop the campaign, but we really had no other choice.

Our last couple Ravenswood Academy sessions involved the Valentines day dance with relationship drama and a PCs date using magic to become the most awesome guy there (which not everyone has forgiven him for), a partycrasher from another "nontraditional" school passing out on the dance floor, Lifeline assuring the School Nurse (and the PCs) that the passed out rival school student wasn't physically injured but has some psychic issues (he wrote a referral) and the PCs launching a raid on a Viper lair after the PCs, Black Mask's daughter, and a superintelligent Professor at the school were able to figure out where Viper was keeping a PCs kidnapped father.

Next Session: Why was the PCs dad kidnapped anyway?  And will PRIMUS figure out it was the PCs who plowed that Anaconda Tank into the Convenience Mart while escaping of the Viper Lair?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't been able to do much gaming at all.  And to be honest online gaming lacks pretty much everything RPG. 

You need a map and a way to mark location with a way to maintain the hidden. 

You need a way to actually see the players.

You need to actually hear everyone.

What is a 100%,  no a 1000000% utter waste of time.  Character sheets, rules compendiums and such.

I have yet to find a virtual anything that provides the core requirements.  Instead you have to deal with all kinds of garbage ( Character sheets, die rollers, etc) not to mention you have to locate separate software to talk and then you really can't tell the players reactions. 

I have never seen a virtual tables top program that has simple "switches" to turn off the unwanted "stuff".

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that all of the people involved with VTTs have embraced a hard core determination to make them as inaccessible and convoluted as possible. 

When I bought my last car they didn't deliver it in a hundred boxes plus tools with a note saying good luck.

I am still waiting for an actual VTT.