Lady Training

steriaca

Rob sighed as he got his play assignment.  He was going to play Melody in the school melodrama. He reported to wardrobe to get mesered for his dress, complete with false bosom and even head measurements (no doubt for a wig...the wardrobe people mumbled about huge hair bows and long sausage curls...two of them were arguing between down to the small of the back over down to hip level).

What in gods good grace has he gotten himself into? At least his girlfriend Doreen was a part of this. Only, he was the only one playing drag in this. Not enough females they said. Bad enough that he became a she to fight crime.

At least the cowboy wasn't around to laugh at him.

Rob was given an evening dress with slips and such so he could practice moving in a dress at home. And he was sure his mother, Rosemarie, would jump at the chance to help him for the role (he started to suspect that she was more overjoyed at having a son who can also be her daughter more than him being a son who can also be a daughter).

In the hall heading toward the auditorium are Joshua Barnes, Ph.D., the school principal, Aphrodesia Kingsbury, Gwen Ditchik, Cordelia Chase, Harmony Kendall, and Ms. Betsy Clarke.  Of them, Cordelia and Harmony were serving detention as part of the school’s stage crew, which Ms. Clarke is the faculty advisor and sponsor of.  During plays, she serves as a stage hand and she and Harmony are the only ones wearing a black turtleneck sweater, jeans, and running shoes and socks, the normal stage crew garb. 

“Harmony, you look like Catwoman,” Gwen comments.  “Right, Cordelia, Aphrodesia?”

“Agreed,” Cordelia replies.

“You are so right,” Aphrodesia replies.

“Gwen, Aphrodesia, you two are joining Cordelia and Harmony on stage crew detention,” Dr. Barnes says.

(OCC: More of this to come.)

20 minutes ago, Tjack said:

The door to the auditorium opens again and a young man carrying a guitar case steps in   Uh..Hi, Mrs Clarke?  I saw the flyer you put up looking for a guitarist to cover in the band for a couple of weeks? 

"Actually, I'm Jennifer Collingsworth, the orchestra conductor," comes the response.  "Ms. Clarke should be here shortly.  Please meet Ms. Andrea Price, my teaching assistant, and Ms. Michelle Karpman, the A orchestra concertmaster.  We were going over the score for the play." 

(OCC: Michelle is a student while Andrea is an adult.)

6 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"Actually, I'm Jennifer Collingsworth, the orchestra conductor," comes the response.  "Ms. Clarke should be here shortly.  Please meet Ms. Andrea Price, my teaching assistant, and Ms. Michelle Karpman, the A orchestra concertmaster.  We were going over the score for the play." 

(OCC: Michelle is a student while Andrea is an adult.)

All right, the flyer said I should have three songs ready for an audition.   Should I get set up?

He goes up onto the stage, took a chair from the side and placed it near the center.  Sitting down and opening the case he removes a 12 Gibson acoustic.  Wiping down the strings he says “I’ve also got a six string electric, but I figured this would be best since I didn’t know if your sound system would be up or not. 
  Starting to strum he begins to sing the Jeffrey Gaines version of “In Your Eyes”. His playing is clear and sharp and his voice seems to be only slightly less than the full baritone than a few more years will bring out. As the song finishes he starts a Spanish Guitar influenced “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and concludes with a more obscure song by Colin Hay called “Waiting For My Real Life To Begin”

When he finishes he looks up expectantly....What did you think?  “I can only do this for a couple of weeks.” “I’ve got to find some after school work and my nights are kind of booked up already.

*****Check YouTube for Jeffrey Gaines on the first two songs and Colin Hay’s acoustic version at CNN for the third*****

24 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"Please," Jennifer replies.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

24 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"Please," Jennifer replies.

I have Guitarist and Vocalist both on 13- and my Presence roll is 13-

9 minutes ago, Tjack said:

He goes up onto the stage, took a chair from the side and placed it near the center.  Sitting down and opening the case he removes a 12 Gibson acoustic.  Wiping down the strings he says “I’ve also got a six string electric, but I figured this would be best since I didn’t know if your sound system would be up or not. 
  Starting to strum he begins to sing the Jeffrey Gaines version of “In Your Eyes”. His playing is clear and sharp and his voice seems to be only slightly less than the full baritone than a few more years will bring out. As the song finishes he starts a Spanish Guitar influenced “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and concludes with a more obscure song by Colin Hey called “Waiting For My Real Life To Begin”

When he finishes he looks up expectantly....What did you think?  “I can only do this for a couple of weeks.” “I’ve got to find some after school work and my nights are kind of booked up already.

*****Check YouTube for Jeffrey Gaines on the first two songs and Colin Hey’ acoustic version at CNN for the third*****

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have Guitarist and Vocalist both on 13- and my Presence roll is 13-

"I'm impressed," Jennifer says.

A stagehand enters from the stage right wing and says, "Ms. Clarke is outside with four more temporary stage hands, two of which are new to our group."

"Okay," Andrea says.

“OK well thanks, just let me know if I made it.”  He said as he put his guitar away and replaced the chair.  “Oh hey, I almost forgot to say, my name is John Maxwell.”

11 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"I'm impressed," Jennifer says.

A stagehand enters from the stage right wing and says, "Ms. Clarke is outside with four more temporary stage hands, two of which are new to our group."

"Okay," Andrea says.

Rob sighed as he was backstage, this time being fitted for his costume (he still has to practice moving in a long dress at home...the wardrobe people have decided on what they felt Rob's full costume should be and while he was available, test fit the costume).

The dress consist of a white dress out of the 1890's, complete with bustle. Around the waist was a huge white back bow. They were presenting some blonde wigs and comparing on how they look on his head.

Rob hears the guitar playing on the stage. "Just great...cowboy is auditioning. If he sees me in this getup, I'm sure he'll never let me live it down."

Rob spotes Doreen and some of his dread lifted a bit. His girlfriend tends to do that for him. Rob looks at his script to see exactly what role she has.

16 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Rob sighed as he was backstage, this time being fitted for his costume (he still has to practice moving in a long dress at home...the wardrobe people have decided on what they felt Rob's full costume should be and while he was available, test fit the costume).

The dress consist of a white dress out of the 1890's, complete with bustle. Around the waist was a huge white back bow. They were presenting some blonde wigs and comparing on how they look on his head.

Rob hears the guitar playing on the stage. "Just great...cowboy is auditioning. If he sees me in this getup, I'm sure he'll never let me live it down."

Rob spotes Doreen and some of his dread lifted a bit. His girlfriend tends to do that for him. Rob looks at his script to see exactly what role she has.

*****OOC:  How does Rob know Paladin is playing?   We never exchanged real names and I don’t think the little bit of talking we did that night should let him peg an unseen, unamplified voice from the next room.****

2 minutes ago, Tjack said:

*****OOC:  How does Rob know Paladin is playing?   We never exchanged real names and I don’t think the little bit of talking we did that night should let him peg an unseen, unamplified voice from the next room.****

(OCC: I don't think he does.)

10 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

(OCC: I don't think he does.)

(OOC:)
   The line “ Just great....cowboy is auditioning. If he sees me in this getup I’m sure he’ll never let me live this down.” 
  He’s acting as if he knows the person onstage that he has neither seen nor heard the name of is Paladin.  If there’s some psychic power at play fine,  I don’t need details because my character doesn’t have any details.  But I think it’s more a case of accidental meta gaming.

39 minutes ago, Tjack said:

(OOC:)
   The line “ Just great....cowboy is auditioning. If he sees me in this getup I’m sure he’ll never let me live this down.” 
  He’s acting as if he knows the person onstage that he has neither seen nor heard the name of is Paladin.  If there’s some psychic power at play fine,  I don’t need details because my character doesn’t have any details.  But I think it’s more a case of accidental meta gaming.

(OCC: Yep.)

1 minute ago, Mark Rand said:

(OCC: Yep.)

(OOC: Cowboy, not a suspefic name. Kinda obvious that the guitar has a certain country style twang, and the song played is probably country. But in reality, I goofed. I can assume they shair a class or two. But all which comes to mind is 'cowboy'.)

(OOC:)  Sorry, the first song was by Peter Gabriel, an Englishman.  The second was originally Roberta Flack and redone much later by the Fugees, however you classify them it’s NOT country.   The third was from an Australian, specifically the guy who sang 🎼 I come from a land down under! 🎶 I purposely chose music that was not Country.

Even if they share a class, I don’t think there’s any kind of accent to say western. His clothes do say “working class”  He was raised in New Mexico and Wyoming.  Neither areas have strong regional accents.  And even if so, there’s no way to tell he’s Paladin or a reason to think he would have any animosity towards you for cross dressing.

(OOC: Another mistake on my count. Never thought a good old country boy would be into rock which wasn't Lyner Skinner country rock. Still...I'm the stupid one. Assumptions.)

Rob noted that he could see the stage from offstage  and recognized him from one of his classes. His name did escape him right now. He turns to Doreen. "Do-chan, do you know that guy's name?"

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

(OOC: Another mistake on my count. Never thought a good old country boy would be into rock which wasn't Lyner Skinner country rock. Still...I'm the stupid one. Assumptions.)

Rob noted that he could see the stage from offstage  and recognized him from one of his classes. His name did escape him right now. He turns to Doreen. "Do-chan, do you know that guy's name?"

"I know his first name's John," Doreen says.  "I've heard him called that when we're both running on the school track."

8 hours ago, Tjack said:

“Excuse me, is this the way back out?” The young man with the guitar stepped through the curtain. 

"Back to the main part of the school or outside?" Michelle asks as Ms. Clark enters with Cordelia Chase, Harmony Kendall, Aphrodesia Kingsbury, and Gwen Ditchik.  "Hi, Harmony."

"Hi, Michelle," Harmony says.  "I put both feet in my mouth this time.  If I keep this up, I'll be permanently assigned to the Stage Crew.  Where am I needed?"

"You can help Judy check over the props and backdrops. She's in the stage left wing," comes a female voice from the balcony edge.

"Thanks, Sharon," Harmony says.  "I'm on it."