Variable Limitations - Followup

eepjr24

Question

I think you answered my question, but the wording left me one small doubt. You said if it could not be applied in its current state. So let's take a simpler example and make sure I am getting this right.

3 PD 3 ED Resistant Defenses, Time Limit: 1 Minute (-2), Variable Limitations (requires -1/4 worth of Limitations; -0)

Okay, the query I have here is can the caster take Non-persistent (-1/4) as their variable limitation? If so, does that potentially increase the END cost since time limit is an advantage on Constant powers. Or are there other impacts I am not thinking about? I think it is just not allowed because powers cannot change cost after creation? But I want to be sure as I am working with new to hero players who ask LOTS of questions. 😃

- E 

1 answer to this question

No, they cannot.  In general, Limitations selected to fulfill Variable Limitations cannot alter (or conflict with) existing/fixed Modifiers on the ability.

Another way to think about it (for your new players):  if applying Non-Persistent (-1/4) would cause Time Limit to change to an Advantage, then they are adding a net Advantage.  They would need to have Variable Advantage at a high enough level to account for the change in Time Limit from -1/4 to its Advantaged value in order to account for this. Lacking this, the points do not work out and Non-Persistent would not be a valid Limitation to apply.