2021-22 Basketball Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

That 17+ million per season is on the low end though. Harden's player option for next year is 47 million and then he'll want a max  extension. That extension will come in at 67 million in his age 37 season. And Philly can't afford to let him walk after what they gave up for him.

I don't blame Harden for leaving OKC, they had decided that he was option 3 but then he couldn't be the lead dog with a young core in Houston. So they brought in Chris Paul and he couldn't get along with him and lobbied for Westbrook. Houston complied and the results were underwhelming. So they dumped Westbrook for Wall and what did he do. He held out all of camp, showed up for the regular season and went through the motions in the first week so he could force a trade. He basically quit on the team after they designed an offense and built a roster around him. 

For all his shooting woes,, Simmons still gives you 18 per game.  He may never be Durant, but Kawaii and LeBron weren't good shooters at first either. Both  Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace are in the Hall of Fame and Simmons is a better player than either. Until this year's holdout, he was a model if eccentric teammate who always played hard at both ends of the floor. Even his holdout shows more character than Harden's pout fest to escape Houston. He could have showed up, given half effort and cashed his full salary.

I might not have blamed Harden for the OKC move, but he's proven *he* is the problem in every stop since, as you pointed out, so...yes, I blame him even for OKC.  He's a petulant child who'll blame anyone but himself.

The difference between Simmons and Kahwi is, at crunch time, Simmons runs away from the ball, while Kahwi welcomes it.  IMO, Simmons' offensive stats lie;  he gets them mostly when it doesn't matter.  I still don't think Kahwi is best served by being the centerpiece on a team;  I think he's more like Scottie Pippen, filling in anywhere needed and taking advantage of every crack.  But Simmons?  What exactly IS he?  Also note:  Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman were never ball handlers.  Simmons *was* the point forward for Philly.  So his limitations are far more impactful. 

BTW:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/02/11/counter-report-james-harden-didnt-exercise-2022-23-player-option-in-conjunction-with-trade-to-76ers/

He still could.  He could also walk at the end of the season.  Granted:  Simmons' value to the Sixers was squat.  But they also had to send the 2022 #1 pick.  Their return, then, for Simmons might be a net *loss* if a) they don't reach the Finals, and b) Harden then walks.

And anyone who trusts Harden at this point is a fool.  Oh, wait, we're talking Daryl Morey.  Yeah, he'll be stupid enough to give Harden that mega deal, even tho it'll end up wrecking his team...again.

But that is a good point.  If Harden's planning to force a new max deal..he's so far from worth it, it's not funny.  It'll be Russell Westbrook all over again, and Philly's going to be in the same boat they've been in, along with the Nets and Lakers.

On the college front...

Looks like this is gonna be one of THOSE years....anyone can lose at any time.  Top ten teams losing *at home* to unranked...multiple times already.  Houston and UCLA were both top 10...and lost 2 in a row.  Churn in the top 25 has been massive.

Very much looking like, for picking a tournament bracket this year...might as well throw darts, blindfolded.  There will be numerous, significant upsets.

Anthony Davis hurts his ankle.

Again.

Out "at least 2 weeks."  Which usually means more, and Davis' reaction apparently also suggests it could be more.  Came up just now on PTI;  Kornheiser's reaction was they should be used to it.  Yeah...an article from the start of the season notes he'd missed 153 games in 10 seasons.  He's missed 21 already this season.

Lakers are toast.  I'd pass tissues around, but I rather suspect no one is going to be shedding any tears.

Unless you're the Knicks, in which case you're the dogs, and everyone else is the porcupines....

Which also fits for trees too.  Stupid 'pines love to eat the bark near the top of a tree.  A full ring.  Kills the top.

But apropos of that, ESPN reported the new estimate on AD is 4 weeks.  Not surprising.  They've got 24 games left;  that covers about half of em.  The schedule gets crowded after the All Star break;  their first game back is Feb. 25th, their last game is April 10th.  So 24 games in 44 days.

They may still make the play-in stage.  Right now they're 9th, 2 up on Portland in the loss column.  Spurs and Pelicans are the chasers for those spots;  they're each 2 back in the loss column to Portland.  So 5 up in the loss column with 24 left.  The 9 seed means they host the 10 seed, with the winner hosting the loser of the 7-8 game.  The winner of *that* gets the #1 seed, which is highly likely to be the Suns...they're 7 clear of the Warriors in the loss column.  They probably won't lose 7 games.

So at best...or worst, if you prefer...the Lakers won't be around for long, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, the LeBron Hype Train quiets down for a while.

EDIT:  Lakers did this to themselves.  Next year's salary cap is $121 M;  they're stuck with a player option on Westbrook, and James and Davis.  Those 3 combined:  $129M.  They have exactly 2 other players signed for more than minimum, neither being overly high, but taking them to $144M, with the luxury tax kicking in at $147M.  And the vets' minimum is about $2.6M per.  So anyone they want to sign is going to, I believe, cost double...there'll be a serious luxury tax charge as well.

While ok, a Big Three is great, it can't be the sum total of your team.  And one can't call that trio a Big Three in anything but salary costs any more.

EDIT 2:  A clarification.  It's being reported Davis' ankle will be re-evaluated in 4 weeks, so he's gone for longer.

So the NBA All-Star game is tonight.

Massive ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs mostly...can't remember the last time I watched more than an occasional bit...but hey, Vegas sets lines on everything.

The Over-Under for the game is set at 324.  

Very much, yes, there is no D in NBA.  At least today.

Meanwhile, one of my favorite weeks is almost here...conference championship week.  Love the games in the smaller/lower ranked conferences.  They'll mostly just be light snacks in the tournament, and many are one-bid leagues, so the conference championship is often THE big deal.  

Yeah, seen that video a few times.  Heard Howard's *lack* of apology/acceptance of blame later.  Gard said he didn't want his backups to get rattled.  

This isn't the first time he's had issues.  Personally?  Conference should suspend him for the rest of the regular season and the conference tournament.  Probably?  More like 1, maybe 2 games.  Secondary question is, does Michigan fire him, or plausibly enough, let him come back after the suspension but put him on probation.  If this happens again?  Fired for cause...so guarantees voided.  I doubt he'll be fired, but there might be issues we don't know about.  

edit:  reported during FS1's basketball coverage...Michigan AD and president have apologized to their Wisconsin counterparts, and a "completely unacceptable" press release has been issued.  Not the mealy-mouthed "we're investigating first and apologizing eventually."  While that isn't per se a bad sign for Howard, it's not a good one.

It's a harbinger of the tournament.

Top 6 teams in the rankings were all on the road today.

They all LOST.  So did #9.

First time ever for both the top 6, and for 7 of the top 10.

St. Mary's pretty much locked a tournament berth...they were #23, and beat #1 Gonzaga.  Zags never led.

Yes, there was a court storming.  Quite the joyous one.  On senior night, no less...pretty awesome.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, Pariah said:

I just got done watching an 8-year-old basketball game, and it's a lot like the NBA: they never call traveling, nobody plays defense, kids are constantly throwing up improbable shots, and there's one guy from each team who has the ball two-thirds of the time.

You must not be watching the Warriors then.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

As far as I'm concerned, neither of the options above represents an improvement over staring at a blank wall.

But then again, I've always thought of the NBA as something that distracts people during hockey season.

90s me would take great offense to this. But I haven't really been a fan of the NBA in years so... meh. 

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!

Ja Morant is insanely good.  Follow the NBA at all, you know that.  Went for 52 tonight.  Personal and, I believe, franchise highs.

But the AMAZING one...0.4 seconds left on the clock.  Ball's being inbound from the far baseline.

Ja drifts back from the hash or so, calling for the ball.  Full court baseball pass.  He jumps, catching it maybe 10-12 feet away from the hoop, slightly BEHIND the basket...and releases in the same motion.  Still in the air.

SWISH.

Probably the most difficult buzzer beater I've ever seen.  Judge for yourselves:

On the college scene, Duke's legendary head coach Mike Krzyzewski is retiring and is on his farewell tour. This weekend is his final home game and his final regular season game against arch-rival North Carolina.

The game itself will probably be anticlimactic; Duke has been significantly better than NC this year and dominated their game at Chapel Hill. But I will be watching, because it will be history unfolding before my eyes.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:26 AM, unclevlad said:

And certain tickets are going for $75K a pop, according to what was being said during one of last night's ESPN games.

The major issue is whether Duke gets TOO up for it.  It's also Senior Day, and his last home game?  The risk is real..........

There are some very real stakes for Duke, though. They are trying to secure a 1 seed in the Tournament, and winning this game would almost cement their place. Losing it would send them don to at best a 3. The difference between a 1 seed and a 3 seed is pretty significant.

So, mid-major conference tournaments begin this week. I guess it's time for me to start caring about basketball now. 

BYU, who was ranked in the top 10 nationally after some impressive early season wins, tripped and stumbled through their conference schedule and finished the season ranked 5th in the WCC. They play a quarterfinal game Friday night. Gonzaga and St Mary's are locks for the tournament, with the Zags almost certainly the number one overall seed. San Francisco is currently projected somewhere between an 8 and 10 seed. BYU is currently projected anywhere from last four byes to next four out. They certainly need to win their Friday night game to keep their Big Dance hopes alive and make the West Coast conference a four-bid league for the first time. Two tournament wins would be even better, but after this season, who knows?

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

There are some very real stakes for Duke, though. They are trying to secure a 1 seed in the Tournament, and winning this game would almost cement their place. Losing it would send them don to at best a 3. The difference between a 1 seed and a 3 seed is pretty significant.

Not this year, at least not after the first round.  I will predict at least one #1 seed loses in the second round…and I never believe they’ll lose a first round game.  And a second falling in the sweet 16.  It’s a freak year.  Anyone can lose at any time.

I think it’s 50-50 for a 2 seed to lose in the first round.