2021-22 Basketball Thread

Pariah

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pariah said:

I fail to see the problem.  One doesn't lob the ball in that situation;  all that would do is let Barnes catch it.  The goal of the play is to get it to hit off Barnes and go out of bounds.  That is a normal play.  The fact that Barnes is on the ground is not relevant...unless you want to argue there should've been a foul called, but then you blame the refs for failing to make that call.  

Take the fact that it's LeBron out of it.  He's become highly polarizing.  The play being made is to save a possession.  What other options were there?  That it's LeBron, and yeah, he's become the latest self-made basketball villain...makes "DIRTY PLAY!!!" the call you WANT to make.  And I'm right there...LeBron's at Bad Kobe levels...those years when the Lakers were slipping hard and fast, before the ankle blowout, when he was a total jerk and impossible teammate.  LeBron's just become a first-order whiner and coach- and team-killer, in my book.  

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I fail to see the problem.  One doesn't lob the ball in that situation;  all that would do is let Barnes catch it.  The goal of the play is to get it to hit off Barnes and go out of bounds.  That is a normal play.  The fact that Barnes is on the ground is not relevant...unless you want to argue there should've been a foul called, but then you blame the refs for failing to make that call.  

Take the fact that it's LeBron out of it.  He's become highly polarizing.  The play being made is to save a possession.  What other options were there?  That it's LeBron, and yeah, he's become the latest self-made basketball villain...makes "DIRTY PLAY!!!" the call you WANT to make.  And I'm right there...LeBron's at Bad Kobe levels...those years when the Lakers were slipping hard and fast, before the ankle blowout, when he was a total jerk and impossible teammate.  LeBron's just become a first-order whiner and coach- and team-killer, in my book.  

You do that when the target is close to the sidelines and the ball will go out of bounds off of him. Barnes was no where near the sideline and if you watch the ball ends up with a player near the low blocks on the paint.

It's dirty because he had time to aim and could have gone for his legs,  maybe passed to a teammate or thrown it into the backcourt to start a fast break off a scramble(Toronto had possession in  the frontcourt). Instead he threw at his upper body. Luckily, as Barnes said in the interview, he had time to cover his face, the only place a real injury might occur.

• 2 weeks later...

The movie Space Jam: A New Legacy 'won' three awards at the Golden Raspberries. LeBron James took home the awards for Worst Actor and Worst Screen Combo (LeBron James with any Warner Brothers character or product). The movie was also recognized as Worst Prequel, Rip-Off, or Sequel. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

The movie Space Jam: A New Legacy 'won' three awards at the Golden Raspberries. LeBron James took home the awards for Worst Actor and Worst Screen Combo (LeBron James with any Warner Brothers character or product). The movie was also recognized as Worst Prequel, Rip-Off, or Sequel. 

All entirely understandable.  The previews were always cringeworthy.

Even less suprising, looking at the other 'awards'...that Diana:  The Musical....yes, THAT Diana, and yes, a musical....was nominated in 7 different categories (twice in Worst Actress) and 'won' in 5 of em.  Rotten Tomatoes gave it 12%...yeah, RT is shaky, but not usually on the LOW end.  

Meanwhile, in La-la Land, LeBron's precipitous drop in the standings is now dangerously close to missing the playoffs altogether.  9th place right now, half game up on the Pels, game and a half on the Spurs.  But still playing badly;  3-7 in their last 10.  3 home games, 6 road games left...they're a bit over .500 at home, but 11-24 on the road.  Key might be that they've got the Pelicans twice in their next 4 games, one in each city.  Otherwise...they have one game against the Thunder who are playing for ping-pong balls (they have 21 wins, 3 teams have 20...next worst is 25)...but the other 6 are against 5 of the top 6 in the West.  2 against the Nuggets...who are in 6th, and will be playing to avoid the play-in round.

I might just have to get a particularly good beer to celebrate, if LeBron misses the playoffs altogether.   

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

All entirely understandable.  The previews were always cringeworthy.

Even less suprising, looking at the other 'awards'...that Diana:  The Musical....yes, THAT Diana, and yes, a musical....was nominated in 7 different categories (twice in Worst Actress) and 'won' in 5 of em.  Rotten Tomatoes gave it 12%...yeah, RT is shaky, but not usually on the LOW end.  

Diana was very difficult to get through. I say that as a theater guy. It took me three days and multiple starts, but I was determined to experience the whole thing.

I won't even try the new Space Jam. Such a misguided production. 

LBJ haters rejoice.  Lakers got blown off the court again tonight, giving up 82 in the first half.  That moved the Spurs from 11th into a tie for 10th...and *with* the tie breaker.  So as of this evening, with 7 games left and a HARD schedule...the Lakers are *out* of the playoffs altogether...and they lose the tiebreakers to both the Pelicans and Spurs.  The Pelicans have a 1 game lead, and the tie breaker?  The Lakers and Pels play...I think next week...and that's basically a must-win.  Lose that and they have largely no chance of passing the Pelicans.

I don't hate Lebron, he has done a lot of good in Ohio and has helped with many social issues off the court.  Definitely didn't like his stance on China. I get that he is polarizing, but IMO that is sparked by the media and fans or haters who just won't shut up about him.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:27 AM, Cygnia said:

I was indoctrinated back in the 80's when it was LA vs Boston.

I've got 5 - 10 years on you, from Sonics vs Lakers, and when CBS's Brent Musberger (who at the time was a shameless LA booster) was the only TV play-by-play guy.

Well, there's a very good chance now that LeBron's done...Lakers had a 5 point lead with 5 minutes left, but got outscored 15-7 down the stretch...to lose at home to the Pelicans.  They now have basically no shot to catch the Pelis;  they're 3 games behind, and lose the tiebreaker.  Now they're a full game back of the Spurs...and they lose the tiebreaker there.

And the Lakers have have games at Phoenix, Golden State, and Denver.  The hope for the Lakers:  Phoenix has everything sewn up...best record in the league.  It'll be game #79...so maybe a good game to rest the stars a bit, play the bench more, with leaving games 81 and 82 to play mostly normally to stay in the groove.  Golden State's hurting.  Denver's playing for positioning, tho.  Theyre' only 2 up on Minnesota...to stay OUT of the play-in circus.

Okay, Kansas has won the NCAA men's title, South Carolina has beaten UConn for the women's title, and the Jazz are sliding. I guess it time to go back to not caring about basketball again.

Go Avalanche!

Very little end of season drama.  There is significant positional jockeying left, particularly in the East...3 teams are tied for 2-4.  But the teams in the East are locked...both playoff and play-in slots.  In the West, Denver's 2 up on Minnesota with 2 to play for both.  That's for the 6 vs. 7 slots;  that's it, tho.

And the Nuggets have a game against the Lakers.  Figure the Lakers are 1-2-3-Cancun!!! now.  Only thing that's left to observe is how much that team gets blown up between now and October...but Westbrook, James, and Davis are unmovable, and that's $130M and about 73% of the salary cap.  That trio will never succeed together.

I also love the injury excuse.  LeBron's 37;  he can't carry a team very often without paying for it.  His injuries?  That's not a coincidence, it's a consequence.  Davis missed 153 games over 10 seasons...BEFORE this year.  He's missed another 39 this year.  The man cannot stay on the court, and it is the epitome of a pipe dream to think that will change.  And Westbrook is, IMO, one of the top 5 most overhyped players of the decade.  Playing around on NBA.com with their metrics...among guards who have played at least 30 games, playing at least 30 minutes a game...there are 66 listed...Westbrook has the 5th worst turnover ratio, and 7th worst effective shooting percentage...he's always taken a huge number of questionable shots.

It's a bad roster and a bad team, and it probably can't be fixed next year, unless the Lakers can find another front office foolish enough to take on...probably Westbrook.  

On 4/5/2022 at 5:15 AM, Pariah said:

Okay, Kansas has won the NCAA men's title, South Carolina has beaten UConn for the women's title, and the Jazz are sliding. I guess it time to go back to not caring about basketball again.

Go Avalanche!

And apparently Kansas won by only playing the 2nd half of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

My, my...

In the play-in, as it's been run the last couple years, the #8 seed is in a pretty good position.  They can win on the road against the 7 seed...or play again, at home, against the 9-10 seed winner.  

Not so fast...

Clippers got bad news before their game ever started;  Paul George tested positive for Covid.  Went down 14 in the first...but won the 3rd quarter by 20 to take a nice lead in the 4th.  Pelicans came back to take the lead, and held on despite some really BAD mistakes (heaved up a bad 3 pointer with a 4 point lead, inside a minute, and still around 10 seconds on the shot clock;  messed up an in-bounding situation;  missed a pair of free throws with a 3 point lead and around 20 seconds left).

In the East, Cleveland couldn't sustain, and Trae Young turned it on in the second half.  Cavs bench got smoked;  total of 46 minutes played, kicked in only 9 points total.  (Starters had 92).  Combined, they were -40.  Not. Good. Enough.

So both #8 seeds crashed and burned.  

I was just watching Around the Horn, and the Jazz are getting completely torn up for their utter inability to play effective defense. This is really out of character for this franchise.

There has been some talk locally about whether or not Quinn Snyder, Donovan Mitchell, and or Rudy Gobert will be back next season. The team just doesn't have much chemistry right now. It is the cause of much angst and hang-wringing here.