Martial Styles in your campaign

Mr. R

Just curious, since I have been asking about magic a lot, to go to the sword / weapon swingers in a campaign.

So what are some of the styles you have?

Like the Tiger Fang style (double daggers)

The Butterfly style (great sword)

The Diamond Mind style ( rapier like longsword )

2 hours ago, theinfn8 said:

Shield forms. Adding any weapon requires adding a WF for it. Shields aren't armour. People don't realize the destructive power of a shield...

Oh I do. One of my characters is quite aggressive with a shield. 

I also created a martial art for creatures with long stiff tails that they would tie maces and axes to.

When I've run fantasy games set in Hero's Turakian Age setting, I usually allowed Martial Arts from that setting that would be culturally appropriate to PCs and NPCs, including those suggested in the Fantasy Hero genre book, particularly the "Dwarven War-Art." Other martial arts from the TA setting book are Tharusidarion ("The Silver Dance"), Elven sword fighting; Ulronai-Chitheru, the armed style of Ulronai warrior-mages; Tashala Kenar ("Moon-Dueling"), the sword art of the female paladin order, the Sisterhood of Salea; Tran-Dhuk, the armed-unarmed art of the pseudo-Oriental land of Thon-Sa; and its variant Haidara practiced by the warrior-priests of Vendiya.

I don’t restrict martial arts in campaigns I run, especially weapon based martial arts.  My players are free to create appropriate martial arts for their concept.  Martial Arts don’t have to be of an eastern style there are plenty of combat techniques from all cultures.  The training of a medieval knight can easily be considered a martial art. 

If the character wants something that does not fit the culture I am running I will try and work with them to allow them to play the character they want, but I may veto some things.  Letting them be from a different part of the world may be cliché but will often work.  If the player is getting too off the wall there may be some consequences to their choices.  For example if they want to specialize in an exotic weapon the chances of finding a magical version of their chosen weapon is going to be slim to nonexistent. I will let the player know this but if they still want to do that I will usually let them.  There are some obvious limits like no lightsabers or high tech weapons in my Fantasy Hero games.  

For anyone familiar with AD&D 2nd Edition, The Complete Fighter's Handbook, by Aaron Allston, had the concept of "fighting styles." It pointed out that melee combat could be boiled down to one of four approaches at any given time:

1. A one-handed weapon in one hand and a non-weapon (typically a shield) in the other, which it called "Weapon and Shield" style.
  2. A one-handed weapon in each hand, which it called "Two Weapon" style.
  3. A one-handed weapon in one hand and nothing in the other, which it called "One-Handed" style.
  4. A two-handed weapon, which it called "Two-Handed" style.

Years ago, I brought this concept to Fantasy HERO using Martial Arts and Combat Skill Levels.  I named the four styles Bear Style (weapon and shield), Bull Style (two weapon), Bee Style (one-handed), and Butterfly style (two-handed).  Bear style got its name from the straightforward style of a weapon and shield attack, Bull style from the fact that two swords resembled two horns of a bull, Bee style from the unpredictable darting movement of a bee (similar to the evasive approach of one-handed fighting), and Butterfly style from light patterns on the flashing blade of a duelist with a two-handed sword seeming to dance like a butterfly in flight.

You could buy levels in a style, and they applied whenever fighting in that fashion, no matter the weapon or whether you had any of the martial maneuvers for the style.  If you were really skilled in a style, you could buy Bear Style, Bull Style, Bee Style, or Butterfly Style as a martial art, and each had maneuvers that reinforced the "feel" of that fighting style. For example, Bull Style had the highest-damage maneuvers, because the SFX included the idea that you were striking twice (even if not actually using Multiple Attack (or Sweep, as it was known then). Bee Style had maneuvers that were lighter on damage, but excellent for DCV, etc.

They were a fun addition.  :) 

3 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

For anyone familiar with AD&D 2nd Edition, The Complete Fighter's Handbook, by Aaron Allston, had the concept of "fighting styles." It pointed out that melee combat could be boiled down to one of four approaches at any given time:

1. A one-handed weapon in one hand and a non-weapon (typically a shield) in the other, which it called "Weapon and Shield" style.
  3. A one-handed weapon in one hand and nothing in the other, which it called "One-Handed" style.

Years ago, I brought this concept to Fantasy HERO using Martial Arts and Combat Skill Levels.  I named the four styles Bear Style (weapon and shield), Bull Style (two weapon), Bee Style (one-handed), and Butterfly style (two-handed).  Bear style got its name from the straightforward style of a weapon and shield attack, Bull style from the fact that two swords resembled two horns of a bull, Bee style from the unpredictable darting movement of a bee (similar to the evasive approach of one-handed fighting), and Butterfly style from light patterns on the flashing blade of a duelist with a two-handed sword seeming to dance like a butterfly in flight.

You could buy levels in a style, and they applied whenever fighting in that fashion, no matter the weapon or whether you had any of the martial maneuvers for the style.  If you were really skilled in a style, you could buy Bear Style, Bull Style, Bee Style, or Butterfly Style as a martial art, and each had maneuvers that reinforced the "feel" of that fighting style. For example, Bull Style had the highest-damage maneuvers, because the SFX included the idea that you were striking twice (even if not actually using Multiple Attack (or Sweep, as it was known then). Bee Style had maneuvers that were lighter on damage, but excellent for DCV, etc.

I remember that article.  Now I'll have to hunt it out because I definitely want to incorporate it into my own games ( I can see a mage with a dagger using the Bee style for the DCV!)

On 10/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

I also created a martial art for creatures with long stiff tails that they would tie maces and axes to.

That's brilliant. I love it!

On 10/22/2021 at 11:46 PM, LoneWolf said:

I don’t restrict martial arts in campaigns I run, especially weapon based martial arts.  My players are free to create appropriate martial arts for their concept.  Martial Arts don’t have to be of an eastern style there are plenty of combat techniques from all cultures.  The training of a medieval knight can easily be considered a martial art.

I absolutely agree. The shield forms are based on German and Viking ideas of shield use, which very actively use the shield in combat.

I also built out a "great weapon" form built around the Iberian Montante historic documents. A set of tiered powers that mimic the area control, target defense, and inherent movement. Obviously amped up for fantasy after a certain point. It's interesting that such a large piece of destructive steel had a strong defensive role.

Aside from fencing styles (a little sophisticated for most cultures in my settings), boxing and especially wrestling styles are pretty common.

A few fancy styles like Pankration and early Eastern styles are fine too.

Wrestling styles work well with fighting in heavy armour - grapple, trip, push and, yes, shield bash all work.

Boxing is mostly for when you aren't in armour or don't have a weapon. Of course you are quite likely to have a knife or a stick (or similar object) in this case.

The good thing with these is that peasant types can fight for fun too, so they can learn these without access to fancy weapons and formal training.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, Derek Hiemforth said:

Do you happen to remember what Issue of Adventurer's Club it was in?

I was looking through what I have and cannot find it.

Worse comes to worse, can you give a synopsis of the styles so I can re-create them?

4 hours ago, Mr. R said:

Do you happen to remember what Issue of Adventurer's Club it was in?

I was looking through what I have and cannot find it.

Worse comes to worse, can you give a synopsis of the styles so I can re-create them?

It wasn't in Adventurer's Club (or Digital Hero).  It was in Haymaker #27.  If you saw these in an article, it must have been there.  :) 

On 10/21/2021 at 8:45 AM, Mr. R said:

Just curious, since I have been asking about magic a lot, to go to the sword / weapon swingers in a campaign.

It's been quite a while.... 

I remember creating an elven school of fencing called Kiriluin ("The Blue Sword")

And Taranda was a two-weapon style based on the movements of a large spider.

...  and, yeah, I'm sure there were others but it's been too long.

So from an OLD Adventurers Club magazine (Issues #17 and 22)  I found a few interesting fictional MAs that I will reskin for a Fantasy Hero game.  So for your perusal:

The Furious Ogre style

Named for the almost all out offence that it pumps out, many say it emulates the ogres that inhabit the mountains and deep forest

Martial Strike

Offensive Strike 

Sacrifice Strike

Takedown

Martial Dodge

Weapons- any, but favours BIG two handers or weapon and shield (sword and board).

The Eldritch Shield style

A very defensive style, that was developed by mages who were tired of having to use magic to defend themselves.  It is big on defensive moves to get them out of trouble

Martial Block

Martial Dodge

Defensive Block

Defensive Strike

Takeaway

Nerve Strike

Weapons- favours small one handed weapons.  

Splendid Sword style

Developed by soldiers of Old Reucha, it is a tried and true warrior style with a good mix of offense and defense.  

Martial Strike

Offensive Strike

Martial Block

Martial Dodge

Martial Disarm

Weapons- favours weapon and shield (sword and board) or two weapons

Golden Sword Style

Another balanced style.  Their is a friendly rivalry with those of the Splendid Sword Style over which is superior

Defensive Strike

Fast Strike

Martial Block

Sacrifice Strike

Martial Disarm

Glorious Meditation style

More an exercise that a fighting style, the moves make for a formidable defensive style.  It is one of two styles that has no weapons

Defensive Strike

Nerve Strike

Defensive Block

Martial Disarm

Martial Throw

Martial Dodge

Shining Amber

The other non weapon style.  For those who want to make their body into a weapon, and live

Martial Strike

Chock Hold

Passing Strike

Defensive Block

Takedown

Reversal

Weapon Bind

So any other ideas?

I won’t bother going into a bunch of examples from my own playing days, but I’ve always thought that what kind of martial art a character would use is as much of a point about their personality as how they dress or speak or what kind of job they have.  All these are possible ways to get into a characters mind for more detailed roleplay.

Mr. R when I get a chance, I’ll have to scroll through all of them. I did look at Furious Ogre and as much as I like to Dodge in game, I don’t think Martial Dodge fits with the style. I don’t see Ogres Dodging nor any overly aggressive fighter either. Now if you would allow Block from Cinematic/Brick where they take the hit (sfx), I could see that.

Eldritch shield style is nice.  I believe the Silver Shield Style from UMA 4th has Basic Strike in it. Since this is mainly a Mage’s system how about the Mages have a Shield which they can Summon? 

On 10/24/2021 at 3:29 AM, Derek Hiemforth said:

This is an absolutely awesome idea! If I ever get to run FH again, I am definitely nicking it!

On 10/23/2021 at 10:29 PM, Derek Hiemforth said:

I waited to see if anybody else was going to say it but the voices in my head won’t wait any longer.....

Do you mean to say that I could have a character who would “float like a butterfly and sting like a bee”?

****I’m very sorry, sometimes it’s not easy being me.****