Custom Export Templates

schir1964

Main limitations will come into play if you try to break down everything into component parts rather than relying on HD’s output.  You can do that to an extent, but will run into limits when dealing with nested structures - the export process simply wasn’t designed for the layered logic structures needed for that.

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

Main limitations will come into play if you try to break down everything into component parts rather than relying on HD’s output.  You can do that to an extent, but will run into limits when dealing with nested structures - the export process simply wasn’t designed for the layered logic structures needed for that.

No, I'm just looking at mainly moving things arounds and actually simplifying the output. At least that's what has been suggested I think.

2 hours ago, schir1964 said:

Does anybody have any Characters (hdc) for 6th Edition they would be willing to share? I would be using them for testing the export template I am working on.

You can use any of these if you want 

As an aside, the word character sheet is more or less what I am after. In a nutshell, organise the sheet by functions. Primary characteristics, movement, offensive, defense, skills, talents, perks, skills powers, complications. No values for advantages and limitations. No real cost.

I hope it helps. 

5 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

You can use any of these if you want 

As an aside, the word character sheet is more or less what I am after. In a nutshell, organize the sheet by functions. Primary characteristics, movement, offensive, defense, skills, talents, perks, skills powers, complications. No values for advantages and limitations. No real cost.

I hope it helps. 

My thinking was that if I get a modified HTML export made there are tools to import that into PDF, Word, and so forth.

To make an export to build a Word document from scratch would require a Java Plugin. I've never programmed in Java and I have no desire to learn that language at this time. Sorry.

Thanks for the character sheet. That will make testing much easier since I don't have to keep creating things.

6 hours ago, schir1964 said:

To make an export to build a Word document from scratch would require a Java Plugin. I've never programmed in Java and I have no desire to learn that language at this time. Sorry.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that the format/flow seen in the word character sheet attached is more or less what I am after. I actually use one of the .rft extract and bring it in Word for final massaging.

Please, oh Please can you create a template that looks like this?:

7h8qYkd.png

I need this layout, with no pic, no backstory, and a three column format, just like this.  Here are some HDC files to work with if you need them, and they are for Fantasy Hero. This would be for fifth Edition. 6th is Okay but we build in fifth or earlier.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Please, oh Please can you create a template that looks like this?:

I need this layout, with no pic, no backstory, and a three column format, just like this.  Here are some HDC files to work with if you need them, and they are for Fantasy Hero. This would be for fifth Edition. 6th is Okay but we build in fifth or earlier.

Sorry it took so long. I tried various CSS tools to see what worked best.

It doesn't look exactly like your screenshot but it is close.

Also, if you set the character image in Hero Designer it will display it under the Hero System logo.

If you don't then it doesn't take up any space on the character sheet (basically it doesn't have place a holder for it).

You can download the ExportTemplateThreeColumnHtml5ezip file.

One gotcha about this export is that there are three CSS files that must reside wherever the HTML file is located.

You can edit the Export file to have the CSS within the HTML itself if you want and I can help you with that if needed.

Several things that pleases me about this export:

• Uses a normalize.css file so that the character sheet should display the same way on different browsers.
  • Customizing this export should be much easier due to how the HTML is sectioned off and tagged.
  • Changing the styling (alignment, bolding, and so forth) should be fairly easy once you get used to how things are tagged and you only need to update the one CSS file not the HTML.
  • I used Flex Box (HTML 5 CSS Standard) to handle the columns and as a side benefit it looks like the printing no longer splits the text in half. At least with the tests I ran.
  • Has a separate Printer.css file that contains a page break so that new pages do in fact start on a new page when printing.

This is my first attempt so feel free to point out improvements or ask questions. My goal was to make modifying this Template as easy as possible.

- Christopher Mullins

Stands for Cascading Style Sheet.

It's how you center or left justify text and other things in HTML.

Each section of HTML is tagged with a class name. If you look at the HTML text you'll see where I've added tags to sections of the text so easy to find where things are located.

There are matching tags in the css file that goes with this template. These define wether the text should be bold, normal, centered, left justified, right justified, so forth.

There's an excellent website where this is all explained: w3schools

Anyway, if you need things changed/added/removed just let me know. It will be simple to do so now that I've got a standard way of handling things.

I'm working on doing the Default template for 6th Edition using this technique.