HD6 not running on Windows 11

Talon46

If by "will not launch" you mean that double-clicking on HD6.jar doesn't start the app, then the most likely issue is that your system is not configured to recognize .jar files as Java executables (which they are).  You can Google "jarfix" to find a small executable that you can run to correct .jar file associations under Windows, though I'm not sure if it will work under Windows 11.

You can also launch HD from the command line by going to the directory that contains HD6.jar and entering the following:

java -jar HD6.jar

Environmental variables probably need to be set, and they're not always set by the installation process.  Steps are here:

https://www.windows11.dev/ce7in/java-55a9

Given that you have 8 installed, you can skip down to step 4, configuring the environment variables.

Win 11 *might not* like the Java 8 runtime, as it's rather long in the tooth now and may not support security features in Win 11.  Java 8 code should run under a Java 16 runtime.  Ohhh...correction.  Newest version is Java 17, released in September.  Again, tho, Java 8 code should run under 17.

But first thing to try is to get the environmental variables set right.  I've forgotten to do that more than once. :) Once that's done, things generally work.

Christopher, Oracle has announced that Java 17 is a Long Term Release, and that every 2 years, there will be a new one.  They're not abandoning it.  Win 11...how long do you want the OS to support old features?  The first few generations of the Pentium maintained microcode on the chip to handle 16-bit DOS...IIRC on the last gen with it, it was 6 million circuit elements.  Which was a big chunk of the die.  Retaining all the features to run all the old code all the time, directly in the modern OS, is a MAJOR hassle.  it's also better delegated to a DOSBox or WINE environment.  Old code was never promised to run forever...nor should it ever be assumed it would.  

Just now, Talon46 said:

Unclevlad - What Java 17 should I download: Java SE Development Kit 17.0.1? 

You don't need the JDK -- that's for developers.  You're looking for the JRE.

Your best bet is still to go to java.com and click the big, red "Java Download" button.

I'll also point out that Vassal (while a Java-based app) is launched under Windows via a .exe file -- that you can run Vassal but are having problems with HD points to your double-clicking on HD6.jar and not seeing anything happen....because .jar files are not properly associated on your system.

The command line approach I give above (twice) will launch HD for you.  Properly configuring your system to recognize .jar files is largely going to be on you, as I have not yet verified the jarfix app under Windows 11.

I do pretty much everything on Mac, so no worries.  Kinda curious if the jump to the new Apple SoC causes any issues with updates -- have everything lined up for when the new system arrives (Aand64 Java, etc.) just need to test it all out.

If the command prompt worked under Windows but double-clicking on the .jar file doesn't then it's simply down to your file associations.  I'd start by trying jarfix (google "jarfix" and the first result should have a small executable you can download to correct the file associations on your system for .jar files).   Post how that works -- I'm not aware of anything for or against it under Windows 11 yet...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, sturmrider said:

I am running Hero Designer on a new Windows 11 machine and have downloaded the Java 8 for 64 bit machine. Hero Designer launches fine, but when I try to add or edit a power it just freezes.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Sounds like you've moved an installation from another machine (or are otherwise running it under a changed monitor/graphics setup) -- the edit dialogs are modal...if they display off screen you'll get that beeping/lockup behavior as it waits for the dialog to be dismissed before letting focus return to the main window.

Delete the appPrefs.xml file from the directory that you run HD from and then start HD -- that will reset all positions and sizes and you should be good to go.