Martial Throws

UltraRob

I want outside opinions on Martial Throws, I was thinking about them the other day and I thought to myself that the martial throw maneuver as listed isn't quite right.

The theory behind defensive throws in such arts as Akido and Judo is that you're using your opponent's strength and energy against them when you throw. Something that I have never felt the Martial Throw as listed reflected well. It reflects it when someone runs at you (+v/5) but doesn't seem to reflect the idea that your opponent's strength is being used against them very well.

One option I thought of to solve this apparent problem is to say that when a throw is used defensively (when someone takes a shot at you) and you successfuly throw them you get to add half of the damage classes of their attack to the throw damage they take.

ie Xia Guo throws a Punch at Li Mu Bai, but Li had a saved action and uses it to grab Xia's punch and send him smashing onto the ground behind him. Xia has an 8D6 punch and Li has a STR of 15. Normally Xia would take 3D6 from the attack and land on his butt, but if I do it this way Xia would take (3+(8/2=4D6))=7D6 from the throw.

This has a few advantages I think, since it makes "soft" martial arts practicioners more dangerous than they currently are, and can explain why when the powerhouse goes after the frail old guy the powerhouse always seems to end up in a heap on the floor.

The other way I thought to look at it is that characters who are skilled at throwing simply buy extra damage classes, and that reflects their ability to use their opponent's energy against them. However, those extra damage classes would apply to all throws, even if the person was being grabbed and thrown, which doesn't quite seem right.

Does my alternate approach to throwing seem unbalanced or unfair? I am considering using it in my current WuXia campaign, but wanted some outside opinions first.

Rob

I really like this idea. You could consider it to work against either the attacker's DC or inches of movement. It's not really a Martial Throw since that doesn't require the opponent to be attacking or moving. Perhaps you could call it a Defensive Takedown. It's a natural in a wuxia campaign, and would also provide a rationale for fighters to not always use their most powerful Strike.

Champions wise I suppose you could consider this an HA Damage Shield which first requires a successful Block to activate.