How to take 5th and modify Figured Charastics?

Stirling.N

Next question: where are the 

The following are the names of the built-in templates to be used with the extends attribute of the TEMPLATE container:

builtIn.Main6E.hdt

builtIn.Heroic6E.hdt

builtIn.Superheroic6E. hdt

builtIn.Vehicle6E.hdt

builtIn.Base6E.hdt

builtIn.Automaton6E.hdt

builtIn.Computer6E.hdt

builtIn.AI6E.hdt

builtIn.Main.hdt

builtIn.Normal.hdt

builtIn.Heroic.hdt

builtIn.Superheroic.hdt

builtIn.Vehicle.hdt

builtIn.Base.hdt

builtIn.Automaton.hdt

builtIn.Computer.hdt

builtIn.AI.hdt

I am on MacOS do I need to find hidden files?

1 hour ago, Stirling.N said:

Now if I want to modify say PD and set it equal to BODY/10 + EGO/10 do I have to make a new characteristic or can I modify PD? 

You would need to modify (re-define) BODY and EGO in your template to have them add to PD.  If you want to also change the way PD is purchased (cost structure, starting value, etc.) you would also need to re-define the PD Characteristic in your template.

You'd need the entire definition -- it won't carry over from extended templates if you're defining it in your custom one.  Taking BODY as an example:

<BODY DISPLAY="BODY" BASE="10" LVLCOST="2" LVLVAL="1" STUNINCREASE="1"
STUNINCREASELEVELS="1" PDINCREASE="1" PDINCREASELEVELS="10" MINVAL="-999" MAXVAL="999" POSITION="4" NCM="20" NCM40="15"
NCM60="10" NCM10="8" NCM10NICE="10">
<SOURCE>Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book</SOURCE>
<SOURCE>Sidekick</SOURCE>
<DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 23; Revised, page 37) Body represents how much
damage a character can take before dying.</DEFINITION>
<MODIFIER XMLID="NOFIGURED" DISPLAY="No Figured Characteristics" BASECOST="-.5"
MAXCOST="0" MINCOST="-.5" FIXEDVALUE="No">
</MODIFIER>
</BODY>

STUNINCREASELEVELS="1" PDINCREASE="1" PDINCREASELEVELS="10" MINVAL="-999" MAXVAL="999" POSITION="4" NCM="20" NCM40="15"
<DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 23; Revised, page 37) Body represents how much
damage a character can take before dying.</DEFINITION>
</MODIFIER>
</BODY>

<STR DISPLAY="STR" DEFENSE="NORMAL" DOESBODY="Yes" DOESDAMAGE="Yes" DOESKNOCKBACK="Yes"
TARGET="DCV" BASE="10" LVLCOST="1" LVLVAL="1" 
STUNINCREASE="1" STUNINCREASELEVELS="2" 
LEAPINGINCREASE="1" LEAPINGINCREASELEVELS="5" MINVAL="-999" MAXVAL="999" POSITION="1"
VISIBLE="Yes" USESEND="Yes" NCM="20" NCM40="15" NCM60="10" NCM10="5" NCM10NICE="10">
<TYPE>ATTACK</TYPE>
<DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 20-22; Revised, page 34-36) Strength represents the
character's raw physical power: how much damage he does in HTH Combat; how much he
can lift, carry, and throw, and so forth.</DEFINITION>
</MODIFIER>
<MODIFIER XMLID="ONLYWITHEXTRALIMBS" DISPLAY="Only with Extra Limbs" BASECOST="-.5">
</MODIFIER>
</STR>

<EGO DISPLAY="EGO" BASE="10" ECVINCREASE="1" ECVINCREASELEVELS="3" LVLCOST="2" LVLVAL="1"
RECINCREASE="1" RECINCREASELEVELS="5" 
MINVAL="-999" MAXVAL="999" POSITION="6" NCM="20" NCM40="25" NCM60="30" NCM10="8"
NCM10NICE="10">
<DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 23; Revised, page 37) Ego represents a character's
mental strength and strength of will.</DEFINITION>
</EGO>
This will increase PD by BODY and REC by EGO and CON?
Now how do I create a hdt?

39 minutes ago, Stirling.N said:
Now how do I create a hdt?

Pgs 43-44 of the manual. You'll create a file in a text editor and put the info in the <CHARACTERISTICS> block.

Here's one I did as a test for 6th Ed Advanced Players Guide one, you may want to see how Custom1 is done (NOTE: YOU have it correct for 5th, don't try to change it to fit mine)

APG1.hdt

Simon - coattaliling on his for a second. Can you extend more than one .hdt? So if I wanted a separate file for APG 1 and 2, I could say Ultimate Skill Extends 1 AND 2; or would I have to chain USkill to 2 and 2 to 1?

8 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Simon - coattaliling on his for a second. Can you extend more than one .hdt? So if I wanted a separate file for APG 1 and 2, I could say Ultimate Skill Extends 1 AND 2; or would I have to chain USkill to 2 and 2 to 1?

Yes - extends can be a comma-separated list with entries given precedence in the order they appear in the list.  For example, if you have "extends=apg1.hdt,apg2.hdt" and both have a definition for the BODY Characteristic, the definition in apg1.hdt will be used.

<TEMPLATE version="2.1" extends="builtIn.Main.hdt">
    <MAINAPP>
    </MAINAPP>
    <CHARACTERISTICS>
        <DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 23; Revised, page 37) Body represents how much damage a character can take before dying. Changed for New Polaris: PD is based on it.</DEFINITION>
        </MODIFIER>
    </BODY>
         <STR DISPLAY="STR" DEFENSE="NORMAL" DOESBODY="Yes" DOESDAMAGE="Yes" DOESKNOCKBACK="Yes" TARGET="DCV" BASE="10" LVLCOST="1" LVLVAL="1" 
STUNINCREASE="1" STUNINCREASELEVELS="2" 
LEAPINGINCREASE="1" LEAPINGINCREASELEVELS="5" MINVAL="-999" MAXVAL="999" POSITION="1"
VISIBLE="Yes" USESEND="Yes" NCM="20" NCM40="15" NCM60="10" NCM10="5" NCM10NICE="10">
            <TYPE>ATTACK</TYPE>
            <DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 20-22; Revised, page 34-36) Strength represents the character's raw physical power: how much damage he does in HTH Combat; how much he can lift, carry, and throw, and so forth. Changed for New Polaris: PD is not based on it but on BODY and REC uses EGO instead. </DEFINITION>
            </MODIFIER>
            <MODIFIER XMLID="ONLYWITHEXTRALIMBS" DISPLAY="Only with Extra Limbs" BASECOST="-.5">
            </MODIFIER>
        </STR>

<EGO DISPLAY="EGO" BASE="10" ECVINCREASE="1" ECVINCREASELEVELS="3" LVLCOST="2" LVLVAL="1" RECINCREASE="1" RECINCREASELEVELS="5"  MINVAL="-999" MAXVAL="999" POSITION="6" NCM="20" NCM40="25" NCM60="30" NCM10="8" NCM10NICE="10">
            <DEFINITION>(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 23; Revised, page 37) Ego represents a character's mental strength and strength of will. Changed for New Polaris: REC is based it, rather than STR.</DEFINITION>
        </EGO>
    </CHARACTERISTICS>
    <SKILLS>
    </SKILLS>
    <SKILL_ENHANCERS>
    </SKILL_ENHANCERS>
    <MARTIAL_ARTS>
    </MARTIAL_ARTS>
    <PERKS>
    </PERKS>
    <TALENTS>
    </TALENTS>